PDA

View Full Version : Cloning Hard Drives

nectros
02-27-2003, 04:49 AM
Hey ya'll, I just installed Norton Ghost 2003. I installed a new hard drive and cloned the C: drive. I was thinking that now I should be able to unplug the Old drive and the new drive should just boot up like norm. But it gets all the way to the Blue logon screen(Win XP Pro) except the names aren't there to logon and it locks up.
Any suggestions....Hopefully I don't have to install WinXP to the bare(bare after I would format) drive. Thats such a pain in the but and it takes me FOREVER to get back to "norm".
BTW, I'm installing a 120 GB Maxtor 7200rpm drive, and the utlilties that came with it want the XP startup disc's ,,,but thats another story.

Derf_UK
02-27-2003, 11:21 AM
norton ghost will only work on another drive if it is the same size/speed etc do a search on kazaa for ontrack and it should come up with one called disk manager (i think) which enables you to mirror your drive which should allow you to move from old to new.

Hope this helps

imported_uncle_cracker
02-27-2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Derf_UK@27 February 2003 - 12:21
norton ghost will only work on another drive if it is the same size/speed etc do a search on kazaa for ontrack and it should come up with one called disk manager (i think) which enables you to mirror your drive which should allow you to move from old to new.

Hope this helps
right .... ontrack system suite for example

nectros
02-27-2003, 05:46 PM
wow thanks. It makes sense now......looking for ontrack now.

nectros
02-27-2003, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by uncle_cracker@27 February 2003 - 12:24
Hope this helps
right .... ontrack system suite for example [/quote]
what about Drive Image? has anyone used that Prog?

zapjb
02-27-2003, 06:36 PM
I use Norton Ghost 2002. I clone back & forth between a 20GB & 40GB HDD's different brands. No problems. :)

nectros
02-27-2003, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by zapjb@27 February 2003 - 19:36
I use Norton Ghost 2002. I clone back & forth between a 20GB & 40GB HDD's different brands. No problems. :)
But do you disconect the drive you copyed FROM and see if the new disc would work as a stand alone version? I am wanting to copy everything, OS and all. I just tried Drive image......I don't think it worked. Oh yea, one more thing, the old drive is on an IDE channel and the other is on an Onboard RAID channel, so the regular Utilities that come with new drive, "max Blast", don't work....cause it only scans the Primary and secondary IDE, not the RAID channels.

nectros
02-27-2003, 09:45 PM

Hope this helps
Ontrack system suite doesn't have a Disc copying tool. Although it has a BUTTLOAD of other great stuff.

zapjb
02-27-2003, 11:03 PM
I use Ghost so 1 HDD is a stand alone backup. I keep 1 HDD in my puter & the other in my dresser drawer. And yes the backup works alone. That's the whole point so when I have a catastrophic failure of my own or software or hardware related, I plug in my backup HDD & I'm good to go. I clone my HDD every 2-6 weeks so I'm not too far behind. Takes around a half hour. I also burn a lot of apps. & some vid. & mp3's to cd's. Peace. :)

accat13
02-28-2003, 02:53 PM
yes i have used norton ghost 2003 on a 60 gig drive from a 15 gig. but i had to remove the 15 gig, install the 60 bootup with max blast partition with no o.s..... ntfs, then reinstall the 15 gig as master and 60 gig as slave and ghost over and remove the 15 gig and setup the 60 gig as master. voila good luck :) :)

imported_QuietSilence!
02-28-2003, 03:34 PM

Hope this helps
not true gost will work across dif size HDs and not only that u can even set it to use a difrent size partision too and add \ remove partisions as well

nectros try seting the new drive up on as a slave on the same ide chanal as the old disk and after u get it too work move it to the raid chanel

Sneepboy
02-28-2003, 03:45 PM
Cool. I want to do this. I am using XP pro. Can I do this if my current C drive is a 120gig but so far im only using 55gb and ghost it to a 60gig drive for backup & then if need be in case of disaster, unplug my 120 and plug in my 60 and be up & going?

zapjb
02-28-2003, 04:22 PM
Yes Sneepboy IMHO that's the whole point of NG. :)

Sneepboy
02-28-2003, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by zapjb@28 February 2003 - 10:22
Yes Sneepboy IMHO that's the whole point of NG. :)
Cool & thanks. I have never used ghost before, is it fairly easy to figure out? Does it run from a floppy disk, CD or what?

pug306d
03-01-2003, 03:22 PM
With Ghost select the drive/partition you want to copy and then either create a image or copy it directly to the other disc. The size of the source partition/disk does not matter providing there is space on the new disc for all the data ghost will adjust the partition size. Copy Ghost.exe to a boot disc and then boot of the disc and run it at the command prompt it loads into a GUI.

If you have problems you may need to boot from a Windows Boot Disc and check that the new partition is set active else it wont boot and recently with Windows XP I had to do a fdisk /mbr as XP just hung on the Welcome screen.

Hope this helps

nectros
03-01-2003, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by QuietSilence!@28 February 2003 - 16:34

nectros try seting the new drive up on as a slave on the same ide chanal as the old disk and after u get it too work move it to the raid chanel [/quote]
Well I got it running FINally....seems I didn't have a good Image when I first used Ghost....maybe because of the Raid. I Formated the 120 and did a fresh install on that drive, and now both hard drives are on the regular IDE channels.....STUPID RAID ARRAYS...............there nice if you have drives that are EXACT. I thought I could use it as just another IDE channel, I was wrong.

Sneepboy
03-01-2003, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by pug306d@1 March 2003 - 09:22
With Ghost select the drive/partition you want to copy and then either create a image or copy it directly to the other disc. The size of the source partition/disk does not matter providing there is space on the new disc for all the data ghost will adjust the partition size. Copy Ghost.exe to a boot disc and then boot of the disc and run it at the command prompt it loads into a GUI.

If you have problems you may need to boot from a Windows Boot Disc and check that the new partition is set active else it wont boot and recently with Windows XP I had to do a fdisk /mbr as XP just hung on the Welcome screen.

Hope this helps
Hey, you might be able to help me out here. I used drive copy (which is supposedly not XP compatible but all our computers at work were cloned with it) to copy my hard drive with an XP installation on it to my spare drive. All of the information is there but I can't get it to boot up. I forget exactly where it freezes up.
If I start my computer with my XP disk, can I "disk /mbr" without destroying data? Any help appreciated.

@nectos My motherboard has the built in raid controller and I use it for my hard drives that are NOT in a raid configuration. I have a DVD, CDRW & 2 hard drives all set as masters to keep things simple. I get a faster speed with my hard drives going through the 2nd set of IDE's. I have the bios set to boot to IDE3.
Check your motherboard manual for information on using the second set of IDE's without using raid.

zapjb
03-01-2003, 07:20 PM
I had to make a DOS system disk for Norton Ghost 2002. I had to to root around the Norton (symnatec) site & google to find out how. Once you made the DOS system disk. Then go into your CMOS. For me I go into AMBIOS SETUP - ADVANCED SETUP. Switch 1st Boot Device frm IDE-0 to FLOPPY. Then exit & accept new settings. Make sure DOS sys disk is in & your spare HDD is attached. It'll load drivers & from there you get an easy GUI. After clone is complete, pick quit. Shutdown or unplug puter (lol I know but I'm serious). Remove floppy. Unplug backup HDD (clone). Go back into CMOS & switch back. I then unplug my reg HDD & test the clone. Course I'd search for better or different directions for NG, if this is'nt clear. Clear as mud, right? Peace & happy tweaking.

nectros
03-02-2003, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by Sneepboy@1 March 2003 - 13:36

@nectos My motherboard has the built in raid controller and I use it for my hard drives that are NOT in a raid configuration. I have a DVD, CDRW & 2 hard drives all set as masters to keep things simple. I get a faster speed with my hard drives going through the 2nd set of IDE's. I have the bios set to boot to IDE3.
Check your motherboard manual for information on using the second set of IDE's without using raid. [/quote]
I have an MSI 845Ultra, and Just looked through the manual. I couldn't find anyhting about disabling the Raid and just using the IDE3 and 4, although I probably just overlooked it.

lolobo21
03-02-2003, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by nectros@27 February 2003 - 10:01

Hope this helps
right .... ontrack system suite for example
what about Drive Image? has anyone used that Prog? [/quote]
I used Drive image when I upgraded my HD. I had Ghost 2003, but didn't like the interface. DriveImage was simple and straight forward.