PDA

View Full Version : Virus's

chris_lyon82
01-06-2004, 09:54 PM
Just done a quick search for Deamon Tools and found a copy no problem, but half way through my download Norton stopped it and deleted it saying it had a worm virus. The thing is well over 200 people had a copy of this file and none of them would of known that there computer is infected.
I then clicked on another copy only for the same thing to happen.
This has happened many times.

Theres loads of free virus software out there, why don't people use them?

P2P networks do spread virus's but if everyone had some form of protection there would be a great deal less of them out there

muchspl2
01-06-2004, 09:58 PM
because they know n00bs (like you) try to get programs from kazaa that are freely available from the makers website, who else would try to download freewear from a p2p

Switeck
01-06-2004, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by chris_lyon82@6 January 2004 - 16:54
The thing is well over 200 people had a copy of this file and none of them would of known that there computer is infected.
Did you try to message any of them that they were (unknowningly) sharing viruses?

Duracell Plus+++
01-06-2004, 10:59 PM
From my experience alot of people dont wish to use any anti virus software due to the fact that they have been told the myth that it slows ur system down substantially. instead they prefer to reformat if they do get hit with a reall bad virus. as they do not know that they got any viruses on they pc, and if you do tell them they usually shrugg they shoulders with the response "So?"
:frusty:

internet.news
01-06-2004, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by chris_lyon82@6 January 2004 - 22:54
Just done a quick search for Deamon Tools and found a copy no problem, but half way through my download Norton stopped it and deleted it saying it had a worm virus. The thing is well over 200 people had a copy of this file and none of them would of known that there computer is infected.

Theres loads of free virus software out there, why don't people use them?

P2P networks do spread virus's but if everyone had some form of protection there would be a great deal less of them out there
Ok, first let me tell you that not everyone - I use it and currently getting NAV 2004 - use it unfortunately.

Second what I want to tell you is that I am thinking there might be following
reasons for Virus-Files:

+ People who don't use sort of tool like Norton or McAfee...
+ Some great Music Companies flooded Fasttrack or tried to do so, with
Fake Files so probably as well Viruses?
+ Some kind of ppl (e.g. hackers) trying to spread out viruses...

+ ... maybe you find further reasons...

Although these reasons maybe true, I still try to inform people that they have
a virus...

;)

Samurai
01-06-2004, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by Duracell Plus+++@6 January 2004 - 21:59
From my experience alot of people dont wish to use any anti virus software due to the fact that they have been told the myth that it slows ur system down substantially. instead they prefer to reformat if they do get hit with a reall bad virus. as they do not know that they got any viruses on they pc, and if you do tell them they usually shrugg they shoulders with the response "So?"
Couldn't have said this better myself. It seems that they don't have a care in the world, so I love hearing stories of people who have had their PC's infected by viruses. I'd turn around and say "Surely you were running an AV?" and they'd be like "What the hell is that!?". Cue my laughter as I look at how anyone so stupid could even learn how to switch the damn machine on in the first place.

Switeck
01-07-2004, 05:28 AM
Originally posted by Duracell Plus+++@6 January 2004 - 17:59
I don't run antivirus software on a regular basis and only run an AV scanner maybe once a month. However, I have detected viruses by the sounds the hard drive was making and by using a hex editor. (hint: if you see the word "virus" somewhere in the file, it probably is... :lol: )

I have little faith in AV software being able to keep up with viruses that now take only DAYS (or even HOURS) to blanket the internet.

I am still occassionally hit by a virus, but the handful of viruses I've seen OFTEN were so new that AV software wasn't able to detect them anyway. I've even gotten one from an auto-infecting website.

In short, a good software FIREWALL (properly configured of course!) has become a better AV tool than constantly-scanning AV software. A hardware firewall (such as one in a router) will do too, and it's much easier to configure. B)

Spock4
01-07-2004, 05:58 AM
Well, would you rather... get A REAL AV program rather than REFORMATING ALL YOUR FILES THAT you have in your computer?

Id rather choose get an A REAL AV.
It never slows down my comp only if you do a FULL SYSTEM SCAN.

GET AN AV&#33;&#33; <_<

sparsely
01-07-2004, 06:26 AM
yeh.
I wish those bastards would quit.

I got a pretty bad case of psoriasis from FastTrack once :o

http://www.chinesemedicalcentre.com/Pic/Skin-Pic/Psoriasis-2.jpg

creamer
01-07-2004, 06:41 AM
i hate viruses :angry: and these are the people that feed them, there like chains and we need more split links like us. i scan every folder i download and the lot.

james_bond_rulez
01-07-2004, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by chris_lyon82@6 January 2004 - 12:54

Theres loads of free virus software out there, why don&#39;t people use them?

P2P networks do spread virus&#39;s but if everyone had some form of protection there would be a great deal less of them out there
that&#39;s cuz ur a noob trying to get a corrupted, virus/worm infected, spywre residing piece of crapware from kazaa

good luck with that, n00b

StyleWarz
01-07-2004, 11:29 AM
Viruses are created by l00sers... I always use anti-virus software, because I don&#39;t wanna loose data... :smilie4:

Illuminati
01-07-2004, 11:47 AM
If you plan to use the internet for anything bar the most popular, friendly sites (e.g. official fan sites of bands, football teams etc), you&#39;d have to be stupid not to use an AV. Like firewalls, a couple of years ago you could have got away with not using an AV and not get one for months or even years - Nowadays, there&#39;s too many virus roaming around.

The trick is to get a recommended antivirus, e.g. Norton or (sworn by some people for some reason :huh:) McAfee. There&#39;s another AV which is often recommended, but I can&#39;t remember the name of it :( (SVG?).

Many of these feature automatic virus definition update services for free, and have generally got more & more effective to scan closely while decreasing the need of resources (though many require some tweaks here & there in their config screens, mind :))

internet.news
01-07-2004, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by StyleWarz@7 January 2004 - 12:29
Viruses are created by l00sers... I always use anti-virus software, because I don&#39;t wanna loose data... :smilie4:
that is a cool statement ;) I just love it...

Project E-01
01-07-2004, 05:33 PM
THanks for reminding me - i havn&#39;t updated my definition files for a couple of weeks. :unsure:

nanotek
01-07-2004, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by Illuminati@7 January 2004 - 11:47
If you plan to use the internet for anything bar the most popular, friendly sites (e.g. official fan sites of bands, football teams etc), you&#39;d have to be stupid not to use an AV. Like firewalls, a couple of years ago you could have got away with not using an AV and not get one for months or even years - Nowadays, there&#39;s too many virus roaming around.

The trick is to get a recommended antivirus, e.g. Norton or (sworn by some people for some reason :huh:) McAfee. There&#39;s another AV which is often recommended, but I can&#39;t remember the name of it :( (SVG?).

Many of these feature automatic virus definition update services for free, and have generally got more & more effective to scan closely while decreasing the need of resources (though many require some tweaks here & there in their config screens, mind :))
i think u mean AVG :D

internet.news
01-07-2004, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by Project E&#045;01@7 January 2004 - 18:33
THanks for reminding me - i havn&#39;t updated my definition files for a couple of weeks. :unsure:
sha&#39;re@KaZaA is looking sadly on you. Bad boy, keep your files uptodate ;) :rolleyes:

chris_lyon82
01-07-2004, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by james_bond_rulez@7 January 2004 - 07:25
that&#39;s cuz ur a noob trying to get a corrupted, virus/worm infected, spywre residing piece of crapware from kazaa

good luck with that, n00b
WTF&#33;&#33;&#33; :angry:

Just cos I don&#39;t post much don&#39;t mean I&#39;m a noob. I&#39;ve probably downloaded more stuff than you&#39;ve had hot dinners&#33;&#33;&#33;
I like to read boards an see what other people have to say and its ONLY if I have a strong opinion on something that I&#39;ll post
I also read in a post on this board that you can d/l Deamon tools on kazaa and it reminded me that i lost it when I reformated my computer so as kazaa was open I thought I&#39;d do a quick search.
I only voiced my opinion and I get slagged of like this&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

Same goes to you muchspl2 :angry: :angry: :angry:

Anyways,

I use Norton 04 AV and FW an get em updated by live update every couple of days. It&#39;s not perfect but it&#39;s the best you can do with new virus&#39;s coming out every day.
Yes you&#39;d be stupid not to use an AV these days and as rightly said when its running in the background it doesn&#39;t slow your computer down. Every month or so I&#39;ll run a full virus check which sends my hard drive into overdrive and straight after I&#39;ll do other things like defrag and full scan disk, just to make sure everythings working the best it can

Switeck
01-07-2004, 10:43 PM
Why wait for the invaders to get inside your castle (computer) before you attack them?

Build a wall (get a firewall) and keep MOST of them out in the first place&#33;

And THEN use good, up-to-date scanners to pick off whatever gets by your thicket-of-defenses&#33;

A hardware router can prevent most viruses/trojans from even being able to FIND your computer&#39;s (LAN) ip, thus saving your computer&#39;s CPU from lots of extra work. A hardware router is best for blocking by incomming ip port, shielding your computer of incomming, possibly hostile connection attempts.

A software firewall can get whatever makes it past the router. It specializes in blocking repeated attacks coming from fixed/single ip addresses. It also has some capability to ALWAYS block connection attempts made from ip ranges. Peer Guardian falls into this category. It may also be able to &#39;read&#39; packet data and block (intentionally) bad packets which are designed to crash/override/take over your computer.

Antivirus software should be able to block whatever makes it past the formidable defenses above. This includes intentionally downloaded files which turn out to be viruses/trojans. However, it will not stop you from getting adware, spyware, bad hardware/software drivers, or just accidentially deleting a key system file.

Ad Aware and SpyBot Seek and Destroy should be able to handle virtually all adware and spyware known EXCEPT for embedded stuff which is a core component of COMMERCIAL software, such as Microsoft&#39;s Media Player&#39;s or Real One Player&#39;s phone-home activities. They just remove separate spyware and adware files, even at the price of disabling other programs which require them for use. (Such as regular Kazaa.)

A good registry cleaner program doesn&#39;t hurt either -- RegCleaner is a popular one that I use.

Lastly, even doing a disk cleanup, scandisk, checkdisk, and/or defrag can have a considerable effect on how quickly a computer boots and how &#39;responsive&#39; it seems.

Even with all that, sooner or later, there&#39;s probably going to be an anti-M&#036; virus effective enough to knock offline practically every Microsoft-OS-running computer on the internet. If you want to be online to watch the &#39;fireworks&#39;, run Linux or something else. :D

Duracell Plus+++
01-08-2004, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by Switeck+7 January 2004 - 05:28--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Switeck @ 7 January 2004 - 05:28)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Duracell Plus+++@6 January 2004 - 17:59
I don&#39;t run antivirus software on a regular basis and only run an AV scanner maybe once a month. However, I have detected viruses by the sounds the hard drive was making and by using a hex editor. (hint: if you see the word "virus" somewhere in the file, it probably is... :lol: )

I have little faith in AV software being able to keep up with viruses that now take only DAYS (or even HOURS) to blanket the internet.

I am still occassionally hit by a virus, but the handful of viruses I&#39;ve seen OFTEN were so new that AV software wasn&#39;t able to detect them anyway. I&#39;ve even gotten one from an auto-infecting website.

In short, a good software FIREWALL (properly configured of course&#33;) has become a better AV tool than constantly-scanning AV software. A hardware firewall (such as one in a router) will do too, and it&#39;s much easier to configure. B) [/b][/quote]
Well you dont have to run it on a regular basis, as long as you keep the definitions upto date you should be ok.

Well most of the virus ive come across dont have the word virus within the name of that particular file, hey if they did it sure would be a hell of alot easier to detect....... lol :D

Theoritically you might be right about the firewall but practically i would say that is a big no no. As i do believe technology has not advanced enough for this to be possible.....

Although that is a very good idea of actually combining a firewall with a AV, But then how do you expect all these large corporations to make as much money as they do, when they can sell use 2 products instaed of one.

I&#39;m starting to suspect that these virus writers do actually work for a company called www.symantec.com. lol :ph34r:

Kane55686
01-08-2004, 01:41 AM
What I find funny is, I only got viruses when I had antivirus software installed, and somehow I still had to reformat... lol, so whats the fucking point of having an antivirus if I had to reformat anyways? I don&#39;t have any antivirus and i&#39;ve been fine for 2 years, no viruses, I also download carefully too. ^_^

muchspl2
01-08-2004, 01:45 AM
your a fucking idiot
<- exits thread before you infect me

Kane55686
01-08-2004, 01:51 AM
No, I think your the fucking idiot for using an AV. :)

muchspl2
01-08-2004, 02:20 AM
right and your also Owner / Founder Of GameCopyWorld.com
:lol:
nga please

Switeck
01-08-2004, 02:31 AM
Originally posted by Duracell Plus&#043;&#043;&#043;+7 January 2004 - 20:36--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Duracell Plus&#043;&#043;&#043; &#064; 7 January 2004 - 20:36)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Switeck@7 January 2004 - 05:28
In short, a good software FIREWALL (properly configured of course&#33;) has become a better AV tool than constantly-scanning AV software. A hardware firewall (such as one in a router) will do too, and it&#39;s much easier to configure. B)
Theoritically you might be right about the firewall but practically i would say that is a big no no. As i do believe technology has not advanced enough for this to be possible.....[/b]
The greatest virus risk right now, besides inadvertently downloading a (mis-named) virus off Kaza/KL++, is auto-infecting viruses/trojans which &#39;silently&#39; attack via ip addresses.

Even some of the simplest firewalls can defeat these easily.

MSBlaster, Klez, SoBig, Nimda and something I just call the smart2com trojan (because it fortunately never grew big enough to aquire a codename) -- basically all of them can be stopped by firewalls alone.

It would be FOOLISH to not protect the computers and instead rely only on AntiVirus software against superinfector viruses of that magnitude.
<!--QuoteBegin-Kane55686@7 January 2004 - 20:41
What I find funny is, I only got viruses when I had antivirus software installed, and somehow I still had to reformat... lol, so whats the fucking point of having an antivirus if I had to reformat anyways? I don&#39;t have any antivirus and i&#39;ve been fine for 2 years, no viruses, I also download carefully too. ^_^[/quote]
The most long-lived viruses are those that people DON&#39;T notice they&#39;re running. These are the ones that "don&#39;t hurt MY computer, so quit messaging me&#33;"

It pays to backup your stuff (not saying you don&#39;t) at least once every 6 months.

fredricodagreat
01-11-2004, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by Illuminati@7 January 2004 - 11:47

Norton is one of the best AV&#39;s out there. Since I installed it a year and a half ago I havn&#39;t gotten any viruses. McAfee works pretty well too, I&#39;ve never personally used it, but I know alot of people who do, and they like it alot. Between the Norton AV and Norton Personal Firewall, I barely have any trouble with viruses. If you don&#39;t have some sort of Firewall and AV, then get one quick. While your at it, I might suggest getting Spybot, and running it one a regular basis.

~Speedy

bulio
01-12-2004, 01:57 AM
get unix or linux, microsoft viruses do nothing to them, for example, the msblaster worm

NightStalker
01-12-2004, 02:02 AM
After making the switch to Windows XP Professional Edition, from Windows ME; I tried installing the Norton Anti-Virus suite, however, unknowingly I had an installed copy on my hard drive I tried installing it and I kept getting weird errors, I believe it happened from the upgrade. Now, I have no plans to reformat my computer because I have important data that I do not want to lose just to install a [system hog] Norton Anti-Virus. Instead, I looked for free alternatives to protect myself against the unknown. What I have found has pretty much protected me from day one. I have only had one virus as of yet, and that was a result from a Windows XP security hole.(Damn Microsoft&#33;)
AVG Anti-Virus (http://www.grisoft.com/)
ZoneAlarm (http://www.zonelabs.com/)
AdAware (http://www.lavasoftusa.com/)

I hold these programs in high regard as I belive they are the best freeware alternative.

Regards, NightStalker. :smilie4:

NightStalker
01-12-2004, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by bulio@12 January 2004 - 01:57
get unix or linux, microsoft viruses do nothing to them, for example, the msblaster worm
You still are not 100% safe, there are many *NIX virus&#39; circulating the web. :ghostface:

muchspl2
01-12-2004, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by NightStalker@11 January 2004 - 21:02
After making the switch to Windows XP Professional Edition, from Windows ME; I tried installing the Norton Anti-Virus suite, however, unknowingly I had an installed copy on my hard drive I tried installing it and I kept getting weird errors, I believe it happened from the upgrade. Now, I have no plans to reformat my computer because I have important data that I do not want to lose just to install a [system hog] Norton Anti-Virus. Instead, I looked for free alternatives to protect myself against the unknown. What I have found has pretty much protected me from day one. I have only had one virus as of yet, and that was a result from a Windows XP security hole.(Damn Microsoft&#33;)

I hold these programs in high regard as I belive they are the best freeware alternative.

Regards, NightStalker.&nbsp; :smilie4:
word

thats what I use and have tried them all, my backup AV is sophos http://www.sophos.com

G2k1boy
01-12-2004, 02:25 AM
I think I&#39;ll go try this "Sophos" you speak of

Cheese
01-12-2004, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by muchspl2+12 January 2004 - 01:16--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (muchspl2 @ 12 January 2004 - 01:16)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-NightStalker@11 January 2004 - 21:02

word

thats what I use and have tried them all, my backup AV is sophos http://www.sophos.com [/b][/quote]
slightly off-topic

@muchspl: How do you rate sygate to zonealaem as a fiirewall? I&#39;ve just uninstalled that Norton crap and put in sygate but would zonealarm be better?

cheers

Samurai
01-12-2004, 02:32 AM
I found Zone Alarm to conflict with many of my programs, and I know how to configure them like the back of my hand. I now use Sygate Personal Firewall Pro and I&#39;ve never had a problem with it. Never.

muchspl2
01-12-2004, 03:09 AM
zygate is spouse to be the best, but I just like zone alarm
and if you can&#39;t configure ZA then how could you configure anything, its super simple
you either allow it or not, doesn&#39;t get any easier