PDA

View Full Version : How Do I Setup A Network?

dmorgan89
02-27-2003, 07:35 AM
Hey can anyone tell me how to setup my network to where i can play a lan multiplayer game with a computer i am connected to. Right now me and another computer are connected through a router and share a dsl connection. I want to know how to set it up where we can play say a quake 3 arena game on multiplayer. How do i get them talking to each other. can you just give me a walkthrough on what to do?

imported_QuietSilence!
02-27-2003, 07:53 AM
go to net work naborhood on each comp right click and select properties
cilck add->client-> client for ms network re start ur comps (this may all ready be installed)
then go to nethood properties again and click on file and printer shareing check file shareing (and printer sharing if u want too be able to print on the printer on the comp with the printer from a comp with out one) click ok dont restart
then click on the ident tab at the top and give ur comps a difrent name on each and the same workgroup name restart the comps and ur connected go to game and make ur multi player game
dont play quake so im not shure of the options there but ull need to use the tcpip or UDP option
in starcraft it would be make a local area network game (udp)
enjoy ur muli player game

imported_uncle_cracker
02-27-2003, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by dmorgan89@27 February 2003 - 08:35
Hey can anyone tell me how to setup my network to where i can play a lan multiplayer game with a computer i am connected to.  Right now me and another computer are connected through a router and share a dsl connection.  I want to know how to set it up where we can play say a quake 3 arena game on multiplayer.  How do i get them talking to each other.  can you just give me a walkthrough on what to do?
it is depending on operation system.

but you will find this or tell us what os you use.

and maybe you have to install IPX/SPX protocol.

cu

dmorgan89
02-27-2003, 10:54 PM
both comps are on xp pro.

jetje
02-28-2003, 02:13 AM
please name type of network adapters in them are you using rj45 (cat5) cable with an hub or router.
Or do you have a cros linked cable (for 1 on 1 connection).

dmorgan89
02-28-2003, 04:09 AM
I just have a simple router called [ipaq (connection point cp-2e)] I have a network cable coming from my lan card to the router then from the router to another personal home computer's lan card and they share a dsl connection (dsl hooked to router). I just wanna get it to play multiplayer lan games with each other.

imported_QuietSilence!
02-28-2003, 03:12 PM
dmorgan89 the instrustions above where for win 98 but they should be the close too the same for XP
and as uncle_cracker said quake may need the ipx\spx protcal for network games
the best thing i can tell u is got to the quake sight there will be a walkthru there to show u what u need to do to get it too work

dmorgan89
03-01-2003, 06:04 AM
where to i get ipx/spx protocol?

cavalryscout
03-06-2003, 10:32 PM
The protocol is already on your computer, when you set up the properties of a connection, you can add protocols, clients etc. Windows will walk you through it.

M|k0r
03-06-2003, 11:36 PM
With XP just click the home networking wizard on both pcs and it will set it all up for u...

U dont need to anything manually as its all automatic, all you need to do is answer a few basic questions which arent hard :D

Spindulik
03-07-2003, 01:55 AM
I have two computers linked together with network cards (LinkSys). I have a long 8-conductor cable and a special adapter on the one end (you need that to reverse the wires).

Windows XP Pro wizard does the rest!

As a matter of fact. I have an additional network card for my DSL.

If you want to connect 3 or more computers, then you need a hub.

Play "Unreal Tournament" on a network is so cool!