PDA

View Full Version : Difficulty To Delete Big Files

gabriele
02-27-2003, 10:13 AM
my OS is windowsXP and i have an external hard drive to which i move downloaded movie files. Now the file is not moved but actually copied, so that i have to delete it in the folder to which i downloaded it . but this needs at least 10 or fifteen trials (message: file used by another user). This doesnt happen with small files.

greetings from spain
gabries

RPerry
02-27-2003, 10:36 AM
Is someone Downloading the file at the same time your trying to delete it?

DARKSHADOW
02-27-2003, 12:23 PM
[QUOTE]Is someone Downloading the file at the same time your trying to delete it?

If not try somthing like norton utilies 2002 which has a delete
files funtion

Leech_Killer
02-27-2003, 01:02 PM
Try disconnecting to the internet before you delete the file, if this doesn't work try this:-

1) Click on 'Start'
2) Click on 'Run'
3) Type 'cmd' then 'OK' and a dos shell will open
4) cd to the directory that the file is in
5) Leave the dos shell open and open 'Task Manager', you do this by right clicking on the bar at the bottom of the window, third up should be task manager
6) Click on the second tab thats labelled 'Processes'
7) Find 'EXPLORER.EXE' highlight it and click on the button at the bottom called 'End Process'. Don't worry as your whole desktop will vanish
8) Now this is important leave Task Manager open
9) Go back to the Dos shell and type in 'del /F (file name)' and the file should go
10) Back to the Task Manager and click on 'File' at the top
11) Then on 'New Task (Run...)'
12) In the Create New Task window type 'explorer.exe' and your desktop will re-appear
13) Close Task Manager and the Dos shell

If this doesn't work you'll need to delete the file through 'Safe Mode'. To do this re-boot and as it's booting back up you'll see a whole page in boxs (just after it finds the hard drives etc). Press F8 a new page will load giving you different loading options. Select 'Safe Mode with Dos Prompt' or something similar. Windows will then load with the minimum drivers and VGA settings. In the Dos shell cd to the correct directory and delele the file as above. Then re-boot as normal.

TheMan1891
02-27-2003, 02:30 PM
Hmm... I have the same problem deleteing movies. I use a regualr harddrive. Maybe this thread can help.

Fatal Error
02-27-2003, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by gabriele@27 February 2003 - 05:13
my OS is windowsXP and i have an external hard drive to which i move downloaded movie files. Now the file is not moved but actually copied, so that i have to delete it in the folder to which i downloaded it . but this needs at least 10 or fifteen trials (message: file used by another user). This doesnt happen with small files.

greetings from spain
gabries
Unless I&#39;m missing something here, your external drive should have its own directory designation D:&#092; E:&#092; etc.. why cant you simply move the file to a folder on that drive? anyone?? <_< I have a feeling that I&#39;m gonna learn something here today. :)

gabriele
02-27-2003, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Fatal Error+27 February 2003 - 16:49--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Fatal Error @ 27 February 2003 - 16:49)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--gabriele@27 February 2003 - 05:13

greetings from spain
gabries
Unless I&#39;m missing something here, your external drive should have its own directory designation D:&#092; E:&#092; etc.. why cant you simply move the file to a folder on that drive? anyone?? <_< I have a feeling that I&#39;m gonna learn something here today. :) [/b][/quote]
the thing is it has a directory name (F). But when i move the file to that directory, it is copied or how they say a synchronization copy is being made, meaning that the file stays where it is and a copy is made of it in drive F.
I just now tried to delete it with norton utilities 2002. It works, but takes its time (some 5 minutes for a 700 MB file. Thanks to everybody for the support and help.

Gracias

Gabriele

i8gtmf
02-27-2003, 09:30 PM
Hi i run xp and have also come across this and have found two ways round this
1 with xp and a video file if you click on the file xp will show you the first picture frame of the file in the file details box,untill the image is displayed you can&#39;t delete or move the file.
2 if that fails i just drag the file to the recycle bin seems to work every time for me :D

ilw
02-27-2003, 10:47 PM
Hey, the major problem here is windows explorer stop using it and the problem will disappear. I used to have that problem and moving large files around on my hard drive used to take ages, but then i found 2xexplorer (get it from www.download.com is probably the easiest, or if anyone really wants i&#39;ll stick it in my shared files and post a hash). Its a way, way better version of windows explorer and is so much more customisable.
Only problem is it doesn&#39;t lie to you like Windows explorer does so a few files like temp internet files may not appear where xp search program says they are, however, it has its own search function so problem solved.

hope this helps, it completely solved my problems.
:D