PDA

View Full Version : Optical Mouse

zedd
01-07-2004, 06:09 AM
i need some help please, i had windows me and then upgraded to xp, on my me' os
i had two mice working one with the wire, and one trust ami optical wireless mouse, but after upgrading my optical mouse no longer works even though i have downloaded the drivers for it. any ideas?

**GASHA**
01-07-2004, 10:21 AM
What does Device Manager say about your USB ports ? (if it's a USB mouse)

Also...

Why would you want/need two in the first place ?

AndrewBarker
01-07-2004, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by **GASHA**@7 January 2004 - 09:21
Why would you want/need two in the first place ?
One for each hand.....perhaps :D

Virtualbody1234
01-07-2004, 02:33 PM
Is this an upgrade or a reinstallation of Windows?

And could you tell us make and model of the mouse?

How is it connected? Serial, PS/2 or USB.

clocker
01-07-2004, 02:45 PM
If it is an optical wireless mouse the reciever is almost certainly a USB device.

Zedd,
Have you tried unplugging the USB cable from the PC ( while it is on) and then plugging it back in? Windows should give you a "found new hardware" message and install the device from there.

Mad Cat
01-07-2004, 04:49 PM
If you got drivers with it, reinstall them.

clocker
01-07-2004, 05:03 PM
You may also want to check in BIOS for enabled legacy support for USB mouse/keyboard.
Asus has such a setting.

cwctv
01-07-2004, 06:13 PM
Enabled LEGACY support for USB mouse/keyboard.

This is for Dos nothing to do with Windows.

zedd
01-07-2004, 10:18 PM
my os system is an upgrade from windows me, my optical mouse is 'ami mouse 250s wireless optical' product number 12329. it is connected via a usb, i have taken the usb out and then put it back in, and yes it does say new hardware found, i have even run the wizard but it fails to locate the device. in device manager it says 'unknown device' and the wizard is unable to locate the drivers even though i tell it where to look. the reason why i have two mice is because sometimes the infrared beam cuts off and cannot communicate with its base so then i can use the normal ps/2 to take over without have to restart my pc

Virtualbody1234
01-07-2004, 10:59 PM
First of all 'upgrading' from ME is not a good idea. You will have much fewer problems if you format and reinstall XP as a clean install.

For further reference you have a Trust mouse. Much easier to find information than Ami.

Check this site and try the driver from them: http://www.trust.com/home/default.htm?view...3Fartnr%3D12329 (http://www.trust.com/home/default.htm?viewpage=products/product.htm%3Fartnr%3D12329)

zedd
01-07-2004, 11:08 PM
i have already downloaded the drivers for this mouse but nothing seems to happen. in device manager under the heading universal serial bus controllers it lists in order- unknown device, usb root hub and then 'via rev 2 usb universal host controller'. why does it say unknown device?

tesco
01-07-2004, 11:28 PM
u need windows xp sp1 to use usb 2.0 so u might have some problems with usb devices until u downlaod and install sp1. go to www.windowsupdate.com to get it.

zedd
01-08-2004, 12:17 AM
i think your right about sp1, i had it before but it slowed my system right down. i am aware that there are hotfix's for the usb that i can download without having to have the full sp1. i have looked at the microsoft update site and put usb into the search engine and a few items were listed about problems with the usb on xp but i didnt understand it, i have to know exactly what the problem is before i can download one of those hotfix's for the usb. i would be grateful if you could put the exact link here for me which will download load it for me.thank you please note i do not want to install sp1, i just want the correct stuff for my usb thingy. thanx

_John_Lennon_
01-08-2004, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@7 January 2004 - 17:59
First of all 'upgrading' from ME is not a good idea. You will have much fewer problems if you format and reinstall XP as a clean install.

For further reference you have a Trust mouse. Much easier to find information than Ami.

Check this site and try the driver from them: http://www.trust.com/home/default.htm?view...3Fartnr%3D12329 (http://www.trust.com/home/default.htm?viewpage=products/product.htm%3Fartnr%3D12329)
But, if he got his computer through a place like Dell, or HP, and it has ME on it, then he wont be able to really upgrade, let alone fresh install to Xp, because they dont give you a driver CD.