PDA

View Full Version : Is The Windows Update Site "safe"

chem
01-07-2004, 09:17 PM
I am wondering if it is "safe" to go to http://www.windowsupdate.com, since every time I download the Windows update software, Microsoft tries to put a tracker on my computer. I noticed it and imported to the range to my firewall the first time Peerguardian caught it. My question is, do you believe it's relatively safe to download the patches after the trackers been blocked, or not?

james_bond_rulez
01-07-2004, 09:50 PM
that depends on what u mean by safe?? :lol:

yeah i feel pretty safe using it since i have a legit copy of windows runnin'

chem
01-07-2004, 11:07 PM
I have a legit copy too. I just wondered if any filesharing activity will cause my OS to "phone home" after updating, in case I missed a tracker.

Switeck
01-08-2004, 02:00 PM
It has been reported that Microsoft gathers information about OTHER programs installed on your computer -- even non-Microsoft ones -- using their trackers and cookies when you use Windows update.

SeK612
01-08-2004, 04:26 PM
I haven't had any problems yet using Win update. Some of the patches MS launch seem important so I just download them to fix potential vulnerabilities. I have heard that MS products do do stuff like this (I've seen people state that win media player sends info to MS about the files your playing) but cannot verify the truth myself :unsure:. If they do it'd be good to know how to stop them if needed.

G2k1boy
01-12-2004, 02:37 AM
Hmmm.....never heard of anyone getting caught through Windows update so I'm assuming it's pretty safe

Switeck
01-12-2004, 05:39 AM
Originally posted by G2k1boy@11 January 2004 - 21:37
Hmmm.....never heard of anyone getting caught through Windows update so I'm assuming it's pretty safe
And there won't be for non-Microsoft products... although M$ may well know due to their monitoring!

There's a corporate upgrades section for windows patches that I use. It's made so you can download the patches and install them off a CD to multiple computers without hogging so much bandwidth. Makes life MUCH simpler when trying to patch a room full of computers.

And it won't monitor you as much doing it because it doesn't require the windows updater program...

ZaZu
01-12-2004, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by SeK612@8 January 2004 - 09:26
(I've seen people state that win media player sends info to MS about the files your playing) but cannot verify the truth myself :unsure:. If they do it'd be good to know how to stop them if needed.
To disable this in Win Media Player go into tools ,options ,player then uncheck all boxes there :)

Switeck
01-12-2004, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by ZaZu+12 January 2004 - 12:40--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ZaZu @ 12 January 2004 - 12:40)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-SeK612@8 January 2004 - 09:26
(I&#39;ve seen people state that win media player sends info to MS about the files your playing) but cannot verify the truth myself&nbsp; :unsure:. If they do it&#39;d be good to know how to stop them if needed.To disable this in Win Media Player go into tools ,options ,player then uncheck all boxes there :) [/b][/quote]
That, from what I can tell, only stops MOST of it. :(

Arm
01-12-2004, 11:32 PM
Just uninstall Windows Media Player and install classic media player. It&#39;s much better and can plau Quicktime, Realplayer and pretty much every other file format. :)

wormless
01-12-2004, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by chem@7 January 2004 - 21:17
I am wondering if it is "safe" to go to http://www.windowsupdate.com, since every time I download the Windows update software, Microsoft tries to put a tracker on my computer. I noticed it and imported to the range to my firewall the first time Peerguardian caught it. My question is, do you believe it&#39;s relatively safe to download the patches after the trackers been blocked, or not?
yea i got them too i just ignore them. adware and spybot ignore it or delete them they come back again and its no problem

Wizzandabe
01-12-2004, 11:50 PM
Dont use it. Only for MS Blaster. I dont give a shit if my pc gos down/hacked..etc It just means Ill get a new PC ;)

NightStalker
01-19-2004, 03:54 AM
Originally posted by Wizzandabe@12 January 2004 - 18:50
Dont use it. Only for MS Blaster. I dont give a shit if my pc gos down/hacked..etc It just means Ill get a new PC ;)
Err.. Not everyone has &#036;500+ to blow for a budget PC. ;)

I believe it is safe, I have been running a illegal copy of Windows XP Pro, for about sox months now, and have updated monthy, I have yet to have a problem. :smilie4:

Regards, NightStalker.

echidna
01-21-2004, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Switeck+12 January 2004 - 16:39--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Switeck @ 12 January 2004 - 16:39)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-G2k1boy@11 January 2004 - 21:37
Hmmm.....never heard of anyone getting caught through Windows update so I&#39;m assuming it&#39;s pretty safe
And there won&#39;t be for non-Microsoft products... although M&#036; may well know due to their monitoring&#33;

There&#39;s a corporate upgrades section for windows patches that I use. It&#39;s made so you can download the patches and install them off a CD to multiple computers without hogging so much bandwidth. Makes life MUCH simpler when trying to patch a room full of computers.

And it won&#39;t monitor you as much doing it because it doesn&#39;t require the windows updater program... [/b][/quote]
@ Switeck :: what&#39;s the link to the corperate MS update site i stumbled upon it over a year ago and haven&#39;t found it since. due to a HDD disaster i lost the updates i DLed and even though i find win98 has no problems [when behind an IPfilters firewall :lol: ] i&#39;d like to get all of the applicable updates.

Switeck
01-21-2004, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by echidna@21 January 2004 - 10:28
@ Switeck :: what&#39;s the link to the corperate MS update site i stumbled upon it over a year ago and haven&#39;t found it since. due to a HDD disaster i lost the updates i DLed and even though i find win98 has no problems [when behind an IPfilters firewall :lol: ] i&#39;d like to get all of the applicable updates.
This is the link for Win98 only:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/downloads/corporate.asp

echidna
01-25-2004, 07:12 AM
thanx ;)