PDA

View Full Version : Movie Fullscreen Playback

rahl
02-27-2003, 01:53 PM
Hi all.

Is there any way or any DVD/VCD PC software player that can resize Widescreen/Letterbox .avi/DivX movies so that it 'fits' the monitor screen size (without horizontal black bars) ?

I use Cyberlink PowerDVD and it does the resize automatically with some movies (better than Windows Media Player which doesn't do it) but not always, e.g. with some DVDRips.

Benno
02-27-2003, 02:16 PM
When you resize it that you dont have the black bars, won't it be distorted? :blink:

DARKSHADOW
02-27-2003, 02:19 PM
Check out the verifieds or requests for zoomplayer mate!

it will do all that and more!! :)

u can even carry on usin powerdvd throught it !!

NikkiD
02-27-2003, 02:20 PM
Moving thread to Movieworld...

"The Avatar Man"
02-27-2003, 02:42 PM
you can do it but it gives a nasty streched effect

-=M3th0d=-
02-27-2003, 05:46 PM
Making a widescreen film totally full screen makes it look wierd, if u want it just a bit bigger y not mess about with ur moniter settings?

J'Pol
02-27-2003, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Benno@27 February 2003 - 15:16
When you resize it that you dont have the black bars, won't it be distorted?  :blink:
The only way to avoid this, that I am aware of, is to change the aspect ratio in the player. It would however look pi$h. All stretchy tall people.

I am not aware of anything which would just show a section of the picture, like they do on TV. That is done on a scene by scene basis, picking the important part of the picture. If software did it then it would only pick one part, say the middle. If the action was to one side then you would miss it. You see that on some widescreem TV broadcasts, on a normal TV, part of one of the characters may be off screen.

DataMore
02-27-2003, 10:02 PM
I believe Pan & Scan allows you to change from the 16:9 format to 4:3.
That way it will fill out the entire screen without having the image all stretched and the horizontal black bars won't be shown.
You will, however, lose some part of the picture's side image.
BSPlayer does this very well as well as MicroDVD. B)

J'Pol
02-27-2003, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by DataMore@27 February 2003 - 23:02
I believe Pan & Scan allows you to change from the 16:9 format to 4:3.
That way it will fill out the entire screen without having the image all stretched and the horizontal black bars won't be shown.
You will, however, lose some part of the picture's side image.
BSPlayer does this very well as well as MicroDVD. B)
That's what I was trying to say, thanks.

I can say this now - Do You Have A Sig

rahl
02-28-2003, 01:54 AM
Thanks for all the replies.

Have gotten Zoom Player - not bad...has aspect controls!
How do I play it through PowerDVD?

Actually I managed to get PowerDVD to play all movies at 4:3, after updating my codecs (the Klite Kodec Pack). Call me weird but I can't stand the small letterbox or even widescreen versions. If the hobbits look a little tall in LOTR, that's fine by me :)