PDA

View Full Version : Ati's Tv Out Is Shit!

abu_has_the_power
01-09-2004, 03:01 AM
my radeon 9600 has svideo tv out. i use my old gfx 5200's svideo to rca composite adapter on it, don't work. i went on ebay and bought a 7 pin svideo adapter, still don't work!!!! :angry: :angry:! i need it to work! what svideo to rca adapter works? if nothing works, i might just sell this one and uby another company's radeon 9600 that has a hsf and the cables i need. help? :helpsmile: :helpsmile:

adamp2p
01-09-2004, 03:23 AM
Hey abu, there is probably something that you are missing that is really stupid.

Assuming this is your first attempt with an ATI TV-Out, there is probably some different procedure from the Nvidia way. You know, you should really try out some other forums. (try neowin.net, xbitlabs.com, or abxzone.com) all of those forums have very responsive intelligent forums (sorry I can't always say the same for this one...)

abu_has_the_power
01-09-2004, 03:24 AM
u sure u can't help me out? u have an ati

adamp2p
01-09-2004, 03:30 AM
Originally posted by abu_has_the_power@9 January 2004 - 04:24
Yeah, but I don't mess with the TV-out stuff, as I have a 21 inch monitor.

abu_has_the_power
01-09-2004, 03:32 AM
ok. does anyone know where i can get an adapter that works with ati? and not for a lot of $. ati.com sells one for $5 plus $10 s&h. and they don't return u the s&h if u return the item! :angry: anyone?

Virtualbody1234
01-09-2004, 03:40 AM
Would you expect anyone to give you your money back for s&h if you return an item?

If you do then you don't understand that they still had to pay for the s&h themselves. They are not going to lose money like that. They are in business to make money not lose it.

adamp2p
01-09-2004, 04:32 AM
Originally posted by abu_has_the_power@9 January 2004 - 04:24
Lutzifer
X-bit Guru

dunno, but he also has to set stuff in the display settings. And ati sometimes needs to boot with all cables connected and all devices turned on else it wont recognize the tv or vcr, so tell him to do that and perhaps it ll help...

abu_has_the_power
01-09-2004, 04:41 AM
Originally posted by adamp2p@8 January 2004 - 23:32

dunno, but he also has to set stuff in the display settings. And ati sometimes needs to boot with all cables connected and all devices turned on else it wont recognize the tv or vcr, so tell him to do that and perhaps it ll help...
wat do they mean by all devices turned on? my prob with the 7 pin one is that it won't even recognize a tv at all!

adamp2p
01-09-2004, 04:45 AM
Okay, abu, I am sure you are familiar with the display settings panels.

Do you have Rage3d tweak installed? If so, find the displays tab, play around there a little bit...

johnboy27
01-09-2004, 05:10 AM
I have had a problem like this before with my Radeon 7500.It had the RCA style output but I still couldn't get it to recognise the TV.Try uninstalling the drivers for the video card and then hook the cable to the TV and then reinstall the drivers while the cable is attached.It may sound stupid but it worked for me.

adamp2p
01-09-2004, 05:31 AM
Stupify
X-bit Guru

yup gotta set things in the Display Settings. he might also have to fiddle with Primary and Secondary display if he wants to go full screen for the tv, ie he will have to set the tv as the primary display and monitor as secondary. again just go thru the display settings carefully and thoroughly.

3RA1N1AC
01-09-2004, 06:28 AM
did you go to settings -> advanced -> displays

and click the red button above the tv icon (at which point the red button turns green), to turn it on?

you may be having a completely legit problem with the cables or drivers, but ATI's tv-out is definitely not shit. when you get it to work, the display quality is very respectable. ;)

abu_has_the_power
01-09-2004, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by 3RA1N1AC@9 January 2004 - 01:28
did you go to settings -> advanced -> displays

and click the red button above the tv icon (at which point the red button turns green), to turn it on?

you may be having a completely legit problem with the cables or drivers, but ATI's tv-out is definitely not shit. when you get it to work, the display quality is very respectable. ;)
i tink it could be a prob with my cables. heres one prob. my comps turned off, and the svideo cable is plugged into the tv and into the card. i turn on the tv while the comp is turned off, and i get the same buzzing and squiggly lines as when the comp is on. i think it might be a prob with the cable. does anyone know where i can buy a svideo to rca adapter that is guarranted to work with ati? other than from ati. cuz they charge like $10 for shipping a little adapter thing. anyone have any ideas? btw, my local radioshack said their cable is $19!!!!! wtF!!!

3RA1N1AC
01-09-2004, 06:48 AM
i dunno, man. i've never tried it with a non-ATI cable. maybe you should just save yourself a headache and spend a few extra bucks to get one that you know will work.

abu_has_the_power
01-09-2004, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by 3RA1N1AC@9 January 2004 - 01:48
i dunno, man. i've never tried it with a non-ATI cable. maybe you should just save yourself a headache and spend a few extra bucks to get one that you know will work.
rite. i'm going to do that. is ther any places that sell something that works with ati?

Mr. Elmo
01-09-2004, 07:02 AM
umm isnt cables..............well, cable? i dont think there is one speciffically for ati or nvidia....maybe your cable is just defective.

abu_has_the_power
01-09-2004, 07:32 AM
do u guys think this is a good idea? i might go ahead and sell my ati made card that i have now on ebay for around $100-120. then buy this card:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....talog=48&depa=1 (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-240-005&catalog=48&depa=1)

http://images10.newegg.com/productimage/14-240-005-05.JPG
http://images10.newegg.com/productimage/14-240-005-02.JPG

it's got a fan and all the cables and adapters i need! for a pretty good price too!

do u think i should do this? cuz the ati made card that i have doesn't have a fan. only a hs.

abu_has_the_power
01-09-2004, 07:43 AM
or i might get this if i get enough money from selling the card i'm using now:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....talog=48&depa=1 (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-156-010&catalog=48&depa=1)

do u guys think i should do this or just go buy another adapter? cuz the guy i bought it from on ebay said he'd be happy to exchange it for another one. if it still doesn't work, should i just go with the above?

adamp2p
01-09-2004, 09:20 AM
If you are a canadian I don't think that newegg will ship to you....

abu_has_the_power
01-09-2004, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by adamp2p@9 January 2004 - 04:20
If you are a canadian I don't think that newegg will ship to you....
i live in chicago. for now.

can u guys tell me which is a better idea? buying another adapter or just selling this one and getting a somewhat better card?

racer II
01-09-2004, 05:47 PM
I had some very bad experiences with my GeXCube 9600 pro ,it died and now it R.I.P. in its original box.

I wont buy anything from that company again. i have send them a couple emails a few months ago... still no reply.
So i bought another 9600 pro. (not gexcube)

Livy
01-09-2004, 05:50 PM
i have an ati card in my laptop and pc, the laptop works fine with a tv with a svideo in, but its black and white on ones without svideo, with a scart adpapter, same with desktop, 9200se. im gonna get a svid-rca see if that works ere.

abu_has_the_power
01-09-2004, 08:34 PM
i guess i can find another company that builds 9600s. do u guys think i should do this or just buy another cable?