PDA

View Full Version : Copying Dvd's

downloadgeek
01-09-2004, 03:46 AM
Hello, I am thinking about getting a DVD burner and i was wondering how long would it take to copy a DVD???? Will it take hours or minutes. Thank you.

h121589
01-09-2004, 03:48 AM
depends on the speed of ur dvd burner and ur blank dvds

ZeroTolerance
01-09-2004, 03:49 AM
:lol: :D actually it doesnt matter , dvd's aint shty but movies on cd-r's r da best

THE DUDE
01-09-2004, 03:56 AM
Originally posted by ZeroTolerance@9 January 2004 - 03:49
:lol: :D actually it doesnt matter , dvd's aint shty but movies on cd-r's r da best
Really, why is that anyway?
I just want to know because I was saving my pennies for a DVD R too but if that's the case I'll just buy a DVD rom and get x-tra shit faced this weekend. :P :D :lol:

ZeroTolerance
01-09-2004, 04:02 AM
Originally posted by THE DUDE+9 January 2004 - 03:56--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (THE DUDE @ 9 January 2004 - 03:56)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ZeroTolerance@9 January 2004 - 03:49
:lol:&nbsp; :D actually it doesnt matter , dvd&#39;s aint shty but movies on cd-r&#39;s r da best
Really, why is that anyway?
I just want to know because I was saving my pennies for a DVD R too but if that&#39;s the case I&#39;ll just buy a DVD rom and get x-tra shit faced this weekend. :P :D :lol: [/b][/quote]
easy

because dvd-r cost to much and cd-rs are basically free if you turn in your rebates.
and you have to buy dvd-r all the time and buy a dvd -burner and cd-r&#39;s movies can show the same quality or about the same quality as dvds

Cyril
01-09-2004, 04:38 AM
Click on my KVCD Guide link below on how to burn KVCD format to your CD-R and play through DVD player. Quality is pretty good.

Darth Sushi
01-09-2004, 04:48 AM
Originally posted by downloadgeek@9 January 2004 - 04:46
Hello, I am thinking about getting a DVD burner and i was wondering how long would it take to copy a DVD???? Will it take hours or minutes. Thank you.
Personally, I would wait until the dual-layered burners are released this spring. Most DVD movies are DVD-9 (approximately 7.95 gigabytes) while most DVD±R/RW blanks are DVD-5 (4.38 gigabytes). You&#39;ll have to do some shrinking or copy everything to two DVD±Rs. BTW, prices of blank DVD±Rs are under a &#036;1.00 when you buy in bulk.

Skillian
01-09-2004, 05:15 AM
With a 4X burner like most are now it&#39;ll take about 15 mins. There are some about now that burn +Rs (not -Rs) at 8X.

3RA1N1AC
01-09-2004, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by Darth Sushi@8 January 2004 - 20:48
Personally, I would wait until the dual-layered burners are released this spring. Most DVD movies are DVD-9 (approximately 7.95 gigabytes) while most DVD±R/RW blanks are DVD-5 (4.38 gigabytes). You&#39;ll have to do some shrinking or copy everything to two DVD±Rs. BTW, prices of blank DVD±Rs are under a &#036;1.00 when you buy in bulk.
i wouldn&#39;t go so far as to say most, &#39;cause plenty of single layer discs and "flippers" (double sided) still do come out. with double sided discs, you can just copy each side onto a dvd-r, though you&#39;d usually only want to copy one side (the widescreen version) since the other side is typically a pan/scan version.

and then with a lot of dual layer dvds, it&#39;s just a matter of only copying the film and leaving out the extra features.

i&#39;d say that most dvd movies don&#39;t require any video re-encoding to fit them onto dvd-r&#39;s, at least. so i think single layer dvd burners are still a fine investment, at the moment, if you&#39;re willing to make some compromises once in a while (i.e. leaving extra features out, occasionally re-encoding a movie, etc).

but yeah, when dual layer burning becomes affordable, that&#39;ll definitely be the way to go... there&#39;ll be no hassles involved with copying any and all dvds with one click.

Adster
01-09-2004, 08:01 AM
A direct Copy and the fly is impossible to do with DVDs coz of the copyright protection crap

so the best thing to do is get DVD shrink copy it too your HD and burn as DVD video with Nero it will be the exact copy

BullWinkle
01-09-2004, 12:58 PM
Just download dvd copy platinum(but not off kazaa cause all copies are corrupt there) and copy a rented dvd. The very worst that can happen is your quality goes down to vhs standards if it is a 4 hour movie cause you have to compress it.

djxedxd
01-24-2004, 06:37 PM
:ph34r: bull winkle you wouldnt happen to have a copy of those serial#&#39;s for x copy platinum 3.2.1 would you i bout it recently and lost the box with the id and password on it (cough cough) :ph34r: thanx in advance

NTWEAK
01-24-2004, 09:32 PM
:ghostface: I don&#39;t know what da f#@K these people are talking about?
( A bunch of kids don&#39;t know jack&#33;)

To answer the original question;
It takes about an hour give or take to back up a movie. 321 studios puts out several applications. dvdx (http://www.321studios.com/) use this link to find out what you prefer.

dvdr&#39;s give equal video and sound quality as the original dvd. I buy my disk&#39;s at comp usa For about 1&#036; a piece(comp usa brand) I&#39;ve used dvdxcopy,xcopy express and xcopy platinum wich all were downloaded from kazaa and work GREAT
you need a patch not a serial (we will forgive the ones that are not smart enogh to use the patches) I&#39;ve backed up approx. 350 movies it&#39;s a great system and I advise you to take advantage imediatley&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; :D

NTWEAK
01-24-2004, 09:37 PM
People who say cd-r&#39;s are better can&#39;t affor a dvd burner.all 321 will copy rented movies. (I&#39;m a blockbuster goldcard member)

and the people wainting on something better will spend 10x more money on dvd&#39;s then best top of the line burner cost today. Or have nothing to watch :D

Robert00000
01-24-2004, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by downloadgeek@9 January 2004 - 03:46
It takes about 15 mins to rip a movie, 20 mins (with dvd2one) to 40 mins (dvdshrink - more precise) to encode and 15 mins to burn (4x dvd-writer).

Quality can be 6 times better (because 6 times the space) than anything you can put on a cd.

downloadgeek
01-25-2004, 02:45 AM
Alrite should i get a +r or -r burner

internet.news
01-25-2004, 03:01 AM
Originally posted by downloadgeek@25 January 2004 - 03:45
For the moment I would not buy a DVD-Burner, cause the techology is not so far
developed - I would wait some months until some things are cleared.

The best thing how to record movies is on a fast CDr Burner (which are very cheap and good&#33;) as DivX, VCDs take too much space - and there are also Standalone DVD-Players, recognizing DivX&#33; ;)

I have 170CDs with all my stuff and think about recording all these to DVD&#39;s but as a DVD is currently just 4GB max. it would not reduce all my CDs to let me say 4-7CDs. And I heared that some DVDRs are so bad that they could easily broken
physically. So, I would wait until it is more stable.

Just wait a little more time and you will see the prices will go down and 48x DVDRs will come soon. I am 80% sure.

Robert00000
01-25-2004, 03:28 AM
Originally posted by downloadgeek@25 January 2004 - 02:45
Better get a dual format. We cannot be sure which will dominate in the future.

DVD-R media tend to be cheaper and have more player compatibility, but the + format doesnt seem to want to die, its leading the way in speed so far. My drive has 8x + and 4x - recording capacity, although its very difficult to get hold of 8x media at present.

I think we would all like to see one format replace the other and writers accept all brands of media. (by the way just in case you didnt know not writers are compatible with all media brands, particularly the cheaper writers - they are the most picky with media).

I prefer to use bulkpaq white/silver faced + disks with my writer, its one of the most compatible with mine.

As for waiting for the technology to improve, well, my opinion is technology will always get better, if you waited a year there will undoubtably be better drives. But do you want to wait that long to get dvd-writer? If you can manage without one then thats good, but i don&#39;t think i could manage without one. Especially, when you consider all the dvd movies i copy :D

This is the second dvd writer i have bought, when the dual layer drives comes out i will no doubt replace this one, but hey, i have a business account i can charge to :lol: , so its not money from my pocket :D .

NTWEAK
01-25-2004, 11:42 AM
dual format is probally best suggestion. unless your buget won&#39;t allow + format is best choice.but.....theres no problem getting the -format.

YES you should get a burner.and the two click system of 321studio&#39;s product.
you can use 4.7g dvdr&#39;s to hold all your downloads such as movies and software.(data disk burning process)