PDA

View Full Version : Athlon Xp 2600+ Barton

tHe LiNk
01-09-2004, 09:04 AM
Anybody got one of these and overclocked it? I just bought my new pc (built an upgrade from my old drives, got rid of my p3 1ghz).

Athlon XP 2600+ Barton
Abit NF7 2.0
512mb 3200 RAM

I actually thought i was buying a 2600 tbred, but today when i checked the clock speed and compared it to the 2600 barton, it matched! Then, after checking a program to be sure, yep! It's a barton! Very nice suprise.

So, my question is. Has anyone here overclocked one of these? I read from a review that the 2600 can go up to 3500 speeds :o

adamp2p
01-09-2004, 11:07 AM
Firstly, there is no such thing as the 3500 CPU from AMD.

However, several members of this forum have been successful overclocking their 2500+ to 11X200 to 2200 MHz, so I am sure your CPU is just as capable. I am not sure what your multiplier is. Wait until John_Lennon, bigdawgfoxx, or clocker replies. :)

clocker
01-09-2004, 12:44 PM
My 2600+ T-bred runs just fine at 200x11.5 with the memory synchronous.
The chip will run even faster but my memory won't unless I throttle it back, and I don't see the point.
I didn't even have to raise the Vcore so my temps stayed reasonable.
You should easily be able to achieve similar results...just keep close watch on chip temps.

tHe LiNk
01-09-2004, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by adamp2p@9 January 2004 - 21:07
Firstly, there is no such thing as the 3500 CPU from AMD.

However, several members of this forum have been successful overclocking their 2500+ to 11X200 to 2200 MHz, so I am sure your CPU is just as capable. I am not sure what your multiplier is. Wait until John_Lennon, bigdawgfoxx, or clocker replies. :)
Yes, i know there is no such thing as a 3500, but its equivalent to the power of it if it did exist.

Explosive
01-09-2004, 02:45 PM
Pentium 4 HT rules!

bigdawgfoxx
01-09-2004, 03:16 PM
Way to chim in with some stupid bullshit...

I have my 2500XP up at 200X11. I'm sure you can get that or even higher, but as clocker said watch you temps! Good luck

tHe LiNk
01-09-2004, 09:13 PM
Also, what kind of cooling do you use to keep the temperatures down. I was looking at some thermaltake heatsink fans and case fans, just wondering what you got and what temperatures you hover around.

Smurfette
01-09-2004, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by Explosive@9 January 2004 - 14:45
Pentium 4 HT rules!
Uh-huh.

:spam:

_John_Lennon_
01-09-2004, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by tHe LiNk@9 January 2004 - 16:13
Also, what kind of cooling do you use to keep the temperatures down. I was looking at some thermaltake heatsink fans and case fans, just wondering what you got and what temperatures you hover around.
I have a thermaltake 11+ XASER edition, and it keeps in the 40's on full speed its a bit loud, unless you take off the stupid Silver fan guard. Then its quiet enough for me. But with it on it sounds like a vaccum cleaner.

Also, with the 2600+'s You can easily do the 11.5 x 200 easily most of the time. The processor is easily capable of it.

Its built on the same core as the 2500+'s that everyone uses, so that doesnt mean that you will be able to squeeze 100more mHz because its clocked that higher to start with. However, its more inclinced to handle those Mhz as a rule.

Also, the 3400+, and 3500+ are just ratings based on a scale using the current barton/clawhammer clocks.

There are fans that are rated up to 3400+, those two are going on a simple sketch of what a 3400+ would be.

bigdawgfoxx
01-09-2004, 11:50 PM
I just use the stock AMD cooler, and it keeps it like 45 full load.

Cygnuz-Y
01-09-2004, 11:53 PM
Do you really feel the difference when you OC the 2600+?, i have one of those and i would like to know if its worth the risk of damaging it...?

_John_Lennon_
01-10-2004, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by Cygnuz-Y@9 January 2004 - 18:53
Do you really feel the difference when you OC the 2600+?, i have one of those and i would like to know if its worth the risk of damaging it...?
*the quick response to the +and - of overclocking.

1. Yes, if you overclock it to a 3200+ level, you will notice a difference. On things like OS loads, games perfomance, OS load from hibernation in XP (the bar zooms across) mp3 encoding, and pretty much anything else that even remotely uses the processor, you will have a performance increase. If you notice it, or care, depends.

2. It doesnt actually damage the processor per say, because your 2600+, could have easily been a 3200+, or a 2600+ alike. (IF YOU PROCESSOR IS ON THE BARTON CORE) Pretty much all Bartons, or any chips on the same based core can achieve similar clock speeds. When they start out they all have clear slates, but AMD and whoever decides what they need to be, usually to meet production constraints.

3. Well, running your processor at a higher speed than normal will lower the life I guess. But in that same respect, if you ran it lower than its clocked speed, it would theoretically last longer. However, your processor will probably last longer than you desire to use it as your primary machine. Plus the AMD warrnanties are like 3 years I believe, so if it breaks, you can always just send it in for a new one I believe.

3b. Yeah I know, by overclocking you void the warranty, and nullify your ability to replace it, but once again, only theoretically. There is no way to prove that you overclocked it, even if you set it on fire. Also remember, using anything other than the stock heatsink and fan, or even applying most thermalpastes thechnically void the warranty. So you see my point....

4. Why people overclock? Well, people dont always overclock to squeeze 3 less seconds out of the hibernation load time for XP. For most of us overclockers, its merely getting more for our money, as well as a constant tinkering process to try and get the most out of our processor. Its why a guy will sit under his car, or hover under the hood for hours. Tinkering, for better performance, overall.

Any other questions?

Cygnuz-Y
01-10-2004, 12:06 AM
How do i know if its Barton?, Being a 2600+ makes it a barton?, the day i bought all the parts i was so excited that i built the system up and didnt even read the documents :lol:

clocker
01-10-2004, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by tHe LiNk@9 January 2004 - 14:13
I have used (in order of appearance) the stock AMD heatsink, AMD HS w/80mm fan, a Zalman 7000cu HSF and am currently water cooled.
With the stock HS with the big fan and the Zalman I was able to get down to the mid 30's at 100% CPU usage.
With my current H2O rig
I'm around 31-32C at full whack.
I have a TT XaserIII and have taken great pains to eliminate hotspots and manage case airflow...even with the water cooling I have 9 fans going.
From what I've read in other forums, if you can hit 40-45C at full load while air cooled, your temps are typical and acceptable.

Edit:@Cygnuz...
The benchmark scores can be upped dramatically while OCed, but can I physically tell the difference?
NO.
Perhaps were I a big gamer I could see more manifest proof of the higher clock speeds.
But I'm not.

Virtualbody1234
01-10-2004, 12:13 AM
This idea that if one person can overclock a chip tha it means that someone else will be able to do the same is untrue. Each chip need to be tested and evaluated on it's own.

Cygnuz-Y
01-10-2004, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by clocker+10 January 2004 - 00:10--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker @ 10 January 2004 - 00:10)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-tHe LiNk@9 January 2004 - 14:13
I have used (in order of appearance) the stock AMD heatsink, AMD HS w/80mm fan, a Zalman 7000cu HSF and am currently water cooled.
With the stock HS with the big fan and the Zalman I was able to get down to the mid 30&#39;s at 100% CPU usage.
With my current H2O rig
I&#39;m around 31-32C at full whack.
I have a TT XaserIII and have taken great pains to eliminate hotspots and manage case airflow...even with the water cooling I have 9 fans going.
From what I&#39;ve read in other forums, if you can hit 40-45C at full load while air cooled, your temps are typical and acceptable.

The benchmark scores can be upped dramatically while OCed, but can I physically tell the difference?
NO.
Perhaps were I a big gamer I could see more manifest proof of the higher clock speeds.
But I&#39;m not. [/b][/quote]

NO.
But I&#39;m not.

Thank you&#33;&#33;&#33;

clocker
01-10-2004, 12:34 AM
Cygnuz,
It&#39;s easy to tell if you have a Barton or T-bred.
The difference between the two is the size of the L2 cache...Barton has 512 and T-bred has 256.
Aida 32 will show you.

Cygnuz-Y
01-10-2004, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by clocker@10 January 2004 - 00:34
Cygnuz,
It&#39;s easy to tell if you have a Barton or T-bred.
The difference between the two is the size of the L2 cache...Barton has 512 and T-bred has 256.
Aida 32 will show you.
I just checked with the AIDA32 and it says that it is a barton :D

Thanks for all your help&#33;

_John_Lennon_
01-10-2004, 05:15 AM
Then you have plenty of headroom to work with, seeing as how its a Barton.

SciManAl
02-07-2004, 11:45 PM
Yeah just go slow and steady, You will find the boundires of your proccesor.

As far as damaging your proccesor(mind you i am no crazy chip maker)
My belief is that as long as the CPU doesn&#39;t melt, it can go higher, to make a cpu stable you put more energy into it, if you can then get rid of that energy, then it will get higher clock speed. I have found the above true when using my heatpipe, i could literally just keep going and going on the oc, however there are certianly limits, be carefull, go slow, and don&#39;t be to risky...

My thoughts, i hope they help.

Virtualbody1234
02-08-2004, 12:22 AM
Why bring up a month old topic?