PDA

View Full Version : Linux

Spicker
01-10-2004, 01:52 AM
hey guyz im thinkin about installing linux....

i dont know anything about linux except tht its open source and very stable

i am sure i can learn quickly...

where to start?
which version to use?
easy to use?
any precautions?
important things i should noe..?
programs and stuff i shud install?

currently i jus started downloadin MandrakeMove from suprnova i noe wt it is...it runs from the cd :) shud i cancel it and download redhat? shud i cancel it and download the full mandrake 9.2? :helpsmile:

edit: wt is slackware?

asmithz
01-10-2004, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by jaigandhi5@9 January 2004 - 17:52
hey guyz im thinkin about installing linux....

i dont know anything about linux except tht its open source and very stable

i am sure i can learn quickly...

where to start?
which version to use?
easy to use?
any precautions?
important things i should noe..?
programs and stuff i shud install?

currently i jus started downloadin MandrakeMove from suprnova i noe wt it is...it runs from the cd :) shud i cancel it and download redhat? shud i cancel it and download the full mandrake 9.2? :helpsmile:

edit: wt is slackware?
1. Download Mandrake
2. Mandrake
3. Yes very, the easyest
4. Partition space so if you screw up
5. It takes a little to get use to, its like windows in most ways tho.
6. Mozilla Internet browser, is a good start.

Mandrake is free, all linux distro's are free. Download it here http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/ftp.php3 . That way you can get it fast and and complete.

Slack ware is just another version of linux, i haven't used it.

Spicker
01-10-2004, 02:41 AM
thank u :) :)

anyone wana add anything?

shn
01-10-2004, 04:22 AM
Originally posted by jaigandhi5@9 January 2004 - 20:41

Im sure a lot more people would but this has been asked an abundance of times.

Try searching the forum for topics pertaining to linux and Im sure you will get tons of helpful info to start you on your quest to using "the" best o.s. there is. :smilie4:

asmithz
01-10-2004, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by shn+9 January 2004 - 20:22--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (shn @ 9 January 2004 - 20:22)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-jaigandhi5@9 January 2004 - 20:41

Im sure a lot more people would but this has been asked an abundance of times.

Try searching the forum for topics pertaining to linux and Im sure you will get tons of helpful info to start you on your quest to using "the" best o.s. there is. :smilie4: [/b][/quote]
Yep i asked awhile ago, shn you halped :P I don&#39;t have 56k anymore :01:

@jaigandhi5 just download it, then use. The best way to learn is by trial and error. :)

Spicker
01-10-2004, 07:39 PM
hey guys im running linux right now :D

im using KNOPPIX

it runs from the cd its pretty coool&#33;

i cant seem to get GAIM working ( instant messaging MSN)

tesco
01-10-2004, 08:52 PM
can u tell me where to get this knoppix linux version? i wanna try it out. Do i still need a parrtition for progrrams and stuff either though it runs from a cd? how deos it work?

shn
01-10-2004, 08:54 PM
Id like to add that Xandros linux is pretty good for a noob who is really use to windows atmosphere.

http://www.xandros.com/

Get the iso off bittorent though because it cost from their site.
More assholes that think linux should not be free.

Spicker
01-10-2004, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@10 January 2004 - 21:52
can u tell me where to get this knoppix linux version? i wanna try it out. Do i still need a parrtition for progrrams and stuff either though it runs from a cd? how deos it work?
no u do not need a partition for it AT ALL

as a matter of fact u dont even need to have a HARDDRIVE soo kool B)

http://www.linuxiso.org/distro.php?distro=44

currently im downloading mandrake....

ill see the link for xandros as well

thx ;)

tesco
01-10-2004, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by jaigandhi5+10 January 2004 - 16:22--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jaigandhi5 &#064; 10 January 2004 - 16:22)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ROSSCO_2004@10 January 2004 - 21:52

thx ;) [/b][/quote]
thanks im downloading right now :)

16hours left lol, slow 128k cable connection...

EDIT: question...how do u insytall programs in linux if it doesnt use a hard drive...and how does it install drivers?

Spicker
01-10-2004, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004+10 January 2004 - 22:58--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ROSSCO_2004 &#064; 10 January 2004 - 22:58)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by jaigandhi5@10 January 2004 - 16:22
<!--QuoteBegin-ROSSCO_2004@10 January 2004 - 21:52

thx ;)
thanks im downloading right now :)

16hours left lol, slow 128k cable connection...

EDIT: question...how do u insytall programs in linux if it doesnt use a hard drive...and how does it install drivers? [/b][/quote]
i can prolly answer the hdd question...

for KNOPPIX if u want to copy/read anything fromt the harddrives u will hav to make them FAT32.....

and if ur installing LINUX like mandrake u will hav to make a special partition which is called...(i forgot) but the linux installer or w/e makes the partition u cant install LINUX on FAT32/NTFS....

so u need to hav atleast 3 partitions to enjoy

1>NTFS=WINDOWS
2>FAT32= your files like mp3s and stuff tht u want linux to read
3>linux partition= linux installation files...

i think im correct if im rong...then sry..

IM MOST LIKELY RONG&#33;

Spicker
01-11-2004, 02:24 PM
HELP ME&#33;&#33;&#33;

lol i partitioned a drive using PARTITION MAGIC to create a LinuxExt3 drive...

it did 1/3steps then it told me to press any key to reboot....i did tht then wen ever the hdd tries to load windows it restarts&#33;

a blue screen comes up but it goes away really fast...

im using KNOPPIX right now :frusty: :helpsmile: :helpsmile:

tesco
01-11-2004, 06:11 PM
my only idea jaigandhi would be to try a repair install of windows xp with the xp cd. but that might cause linux to not boot up im not really saure how linux works sorry.

shn
01-11-2004, 06:23 PM
Knoopix is ok but it will only run as fast your cd-rom which is where is gets the files.

Its always a good Idea to create at least a swap partition to have some extra memory and better performance when your running a whole o.s. straight from a cd.

And any linux distro with a modern kernel now has the ability to read ntfs files granted you enable the support, it just cant write to a ntfs partition. All you have to do is install the kernel module drivers to be able to read ntfs but not write. You can also recompile your kernel with ntfs support using xconfig.

Read the docs that came with the distro or simply find a rpm kernel module package for ntfs support and install it.

There is also a smaller version of knoppix. Well its based on knoppix and runs from the cd and the download is only 50 megs as opposed to knoppix being over 650 megs to download.

http://damnsmalllinux.org

@jaigandhi5

There was no need to create an ext3 or reiser partition because your running knoppix and nothing really needs to be physically installed except a /swap partition for better performance.

Spicker
01-11-2004, 08:38 PM
i just formatted...

i was making a partition EXT3 because i wanted to install MANDRAKE.... ;)

but stupid partitiong magic screwed my C: drive up and i cudnt do anything but fromat... lol

i dint lose tht much sinse i already had 2 partitions...

:)
now i need to install mandrake.... <_<

im jus screwed up about the partitions and stuff :helpsmile: :frusty: