PDA

View Full Version : Win Xp Shutdown

bowrabob
01-10-2004, 10:44 AM
I installed XP pro on my friends pc today...logged on to the net and received a message shortly after saying ( windows will be shut down save all work ) initiated by the NT Aurthority System...and something about Remote procedure call....she had this same version I installed on another harddrive and it worked fine...the win cd is a copied cracked version.

DVD PIRATE III
01-10-2004, 11:02 AM
Sounds like the "MS Blaster" Worm/virus

have a nosy here to make sure http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcen...aster.worm.html (http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm.html)

bowrabob
01-10-2004, 11:26 AM
If your pc is infected with MS Blaster it should show up in task manager processes....is this correct?

DVD PIRATE III
01-10-2004, 11:34 AM
Nope..
Youll get a litlle gray box pop up on your screen telling you windows will shut down in 60 seconds.
did u read the article at the link i gave you?..that tells you all u need to know..this virus came out in july i think and it hit the internet hard.

bowrabob
01-10-2004, 01:09 PM
I have read and printed out the article..sounds to me like you have the answer to my problem...I will go over to her place tomorrow and apply this fix..thank you..I will let you know how it works out. :beerchug:

DVD PIRATE III
01-10-2004, 01:38 PM
Hope ya get it sorted mate cause its a nasty one..post back with ya results if ya get the chance

Good Luck

leonarmston
01-10-2004, 02:12 PM
My uncle had this virus on his machine, it was a real pain to get rid of as I only had about 2 minutes on the net before the shutdown in 60secs came up. I downloaded the fix from symantec it said it had removed the virus. Then i restart and gues what it hadnt removed it. I found the only way to remove it was to download a windows patch from microsoft. This does not allow the virus to shut down the computer even if it is on the computer. I then ran the fix from symantec and removed the virus.

I hate this virus, it took me ages to remove it! :frusty:

tesco
01-11-2004, 12:42 AM
if u go to start?run> type in cmd then press enter,

on the command prompt that comes up type shutdown -a it stops the computer from shutting down, just a tip incase anybody ever encounters the virus again, and is having trouble removing it.

bowrabob
01-11-2004, 01:54 AM
I applied the manual fix using the run option...problem solved..thanx for your help guys...Cheers Bob. :D