PDA

View Full Version : Drive Letters

Gripper
01-10-2004, 11:37 PM
I had 2 drives called c and d,c was only4 gb and I have bought a 80 gb today and removed the 4 gb which was c,replaced it with d,now I have c 40 gb,then 2 optical drivesd and e and my new drive is f,is there any way of making f back to d,I hope this makes sense to someone as i'm writing it after a day of pissing about on the comp and a bottle of wine to take the edge off the stress :D

3RA1N1AC
01-10-2004, 11:48 PM
Start -> Run -> type compmgmt.msc -> OK

which starts the Computer Management program

in that program, go to Storage -> Disk Management

then it will display all of the partitions/drives, and you can right-click on a partition/drive and choose "Change Drive Letter And Paths"

_John_Lennon_
01-11-2004, 05:03 AM
Originally posted by 3RA1N1AC@10 January 2004 - 18:48

then it will display all of the partitions/drives, and you can right-click on a partition/drive and choose "Change Drive Letter And Paths"
Have you actually done that?

I just did it, because i hadnt heard of that working,

And got the (windows cannot modifty the letter of your system volume or boot volume.)

ZaZu
01-11-2004, 05:09 AM
oops :wub:

3RA1N1AC
01-11-2004, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by _John_Lennon_+10 January 2004 - 21:03--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (_John_Lennon_ &#064; 10 January 2004 - 21:03)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-3RA1N1AC@10 January 2004 - 18:48

And got the (windows cannot modifty the letter of your system volume or boot volume.) [/b][/quote]
it works for every drive/partition EXCEPT for the one that Windows is installed on. i.e. it can be used to change the letters of your CD/DVD-Roms, floppy/ZIP drive, extra hard drives, but (assuming Windows is installed on C:) not the C: drive.

the original post wasn&#39;t 100% clear to me, whether he wanted to change his Windows drive&#39;s letter. if that&#39;s the case, i think he&#39;s prolly just stuck with the way it is. i guess it&#39;s sort of annoying to have the Windows drive labelled as something other than C:, but as far as i know there&#39;s nothing really wrong with that-- Windows 2000/XP shouldn&#39;t really care either way, which letter is assigned to the Windows drive.

DWk
01-11-2004, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by _John_Lennon_+10 January 2004 - 22:03--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (_John_Lennon_ @ 10 January 2004 - 22:03)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-3RA1N1AC@10 January 2004 - 18:48

And got the (windows cannot modifty the letter of your system volume or boot volume.) [/b][/quote]
Yea it works. However, if you change a HDD letter, you will probably have to reboot for it to take effect. If you change a CD-ROM (or DVD-ROM), it&#39;ll change right away.

This is due to the fact that the HDD are being used at the moment (by the running processes) and they cannot be cut off.

w0ot :)

Gripper
01-11-2004, 01:00 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: Bra1n1ac you are a bloody genius,one for being able to understand my first post and secondly for giving me the soloution I was after,once again thanks a bunch :D :D :D