PDA

View Full Version : Question About Dl Speeds On Router

AzNsMaRtGuY333
01-11-2004, 10:05 PM
I have an SMC router and i want to get faster dl speeds. my BT dl is about 10 and my KL gets around .10-100. im behind an SMC router and i want to know how to improve my speeds. i search the forums and i found info about linksys. i never did the port fowarding or stuff like that...i dont even know what that is....help me please

i have dsl and my usual speed for dl directly is 180

wacomcduff
01-12-2004, 01:11 AM
What model Router is it?

AzNsMaRtGuY333
01-12-2004, 02:09 AM
SMC2404WBR

BARRICADE TURBO

AzNsMaRtGuY333
01-12-2004, 03:11 AM
what i did was go to the NAT on the menu, then i went to Special Applications

I put the
Trigger Port: 6889
Trigger Type: TCP
Public Port: 192.168.1.101
Public Type: TCP
Then i enabled it.........is this the same as the linksys one cept for the different names

wacomcduff
01-12-2004, 06:53 AM
From the looks of it, you are on the right track except for a couple things.

I looked up your router manual on the net and I think you need to put a port range in the Public Ports entry instead of the IP address. I have BitTorrent running right now and it is using ports in the range of 2561-3150 so you would have to make the Public Ports entry be 2561-3150. I'm not sure of the exact range of ports that BT uses but if you enter this range it should work.

Also, I don't know if this will make a difference or not but BitTorrent uses ports 6881-6889 (by default) as the trigger ports. You might want to make an entry for each of those with the public port range of 2561-3150 for each entry.

KaZaa uses a different Trigger Port for it's communications. You can manually specify what this is in the K-Lite ++ options section. I have mine set to 31666 but it can be basically whatever you like. This means you will also have to make an entry in your router for this port as well. You will also have to downlaod a copy of KaNat and use that when running KaZaa.

And one last thing. I am using TorrentStorm for my BitTorrent client. In the settings menu there is an option to limit the maximum UPLOAD rate BT will use. Since I top out at 32KB/sec, I have my max upload limited to around 25KB/sec. If you don't hold back a little of your upload bandwidth your computer won't be able to keep track of your download traffic and your speeds will choke and wind up being really slow.

Hope this helps ya some. Let me know if things start running faster for you.

AzNsMaRtGuY333
01-12-2004, 10:47 PM
ok.....i understand....now my router is a little weird. my trigger ports only have a 5 digit maximum. so do i put 6881 on the first one...6882 on the second one......6883 on third one and so on........and you said put 2561-3150 on the public port entry. ok also for kazaa options do i put the number 31666 on the incoming ports section under the firewall section.......im very sorry if im asking the questions to obvious answers......im not that quick :(

wacomcduff
01-12-2004, 11:19 PM
Correct. The first entry in your router config would be 6881 for the trigger port and 2561-3150 for the public ports. The 2nd entry would be 6882 for the trigger and 2561-3150 for the public ports etc. (type the entry for the public ports just like we are here "2561-3150")

Correct again! Under the KaZaa++ Options menu on the Firewall tab, you would enter the port you want to use for incoming traffic. I use 31666 but it doesn't have to be this exact number. You can choose any port number but I have read that a port number above 5000 is best. Once you have that port number defined in KaZaa, you make an entry in your router config to have the trigger port be 31666 (or whatever the port number is you chose) and a public port range of 2561-3150.

It looks like KaZaa uses the same port ranges for connections that BT uses so the same values in your Public Ports entry should work for both programs.

Hopefully, if I'm not a total idiot, this information should get you downloading at a decent rate. Let me know how it goes for you :D

AzNsMaRtGuY333
01-13-2004, 12:07 AM
omg....u just got yourself a fan :D ...maybe i posted in the wrong section but you are the only one to help me....thanks alot i really appreciate it

AzNsMaRtGuY333
01-13-2004, 01:46 AM
edit-wait i got a problem.......i can't connect to the seeds. my dl and upload rate is 0. there are 15 peers and 4 seeds. is it cause it has 4 seeds and distributing 0.999 copies.

wacomcduff
01-13-2004, 02:03 AM
There could be a number of explanations for this. The Tracker that is controlling the connections to the torrent could be hosed i.e. not currently running/crashed. Try to grab a file that has a butt-load of Seeders and Peers like 50 seeders and 190 peers. See if transfers start going on that download. It's also possible that we don't have the router configuration 100% correct. Have you tried KaZaa yet?

AzNsMaRtGuY333
01-13-2004, 02:06 AM
nope not yet....i will try it tomorrow.....i dl a file on suprnova and it has 98 seeds and 350 dls. it has 8 kbs and 3 seeds that are sharing with 3 copies.....maybe its cause i have the setting to dialup?

wacomcduff
01-13-2004, 02:44 AM
There is one other course of action you can try to determine if we have the router configuration correct. There is a section in your router configuration for what's known as the DMZ. Bascially, what this does is open your router wide open. If you enable this, it's like forwarding every single port on your machine. ONLY DO THIS FOR TESTING PURPOSES! If you leave your router in the DMZ mode it leaves you wide open to attacks. If downloads start working great once you are in the DMZ then we can be pretty sure we are missing something when we tried to configure the router to forward ports.

Another possibility...If you are running windows XP it has a built-in firewall that is enabled by default. Disabling this could also improve performance. But I doubt this is the case since you said you were getting 180KB/sec download rates before.

AzNsMaRtGuY333
01-13-2004, 03:24 AM
ok..i found the DMZ mode...i see two options.....one is to enable it and another is the set the static IP

"Multiple PCs can be exposed to the Internet for two-way communications e.g. Internet gaming, video conferencing, or VPN connections. To use the DMZ, you must set a static IP address for that PC."

what do i put in that option

wacomcduff
01-13-2004, 03:40 AM
In windows, click on START then RUN then type "command" and hit enter. This should open up a DOS window with a C:\ prompt. Type ipconfig then enter. You should now see a list of numbers, one of which is the IP address. This is the number you want to enter into the router config.

AzNsMaRtGuY333
01-13-2004, 04:29 AM
allright i did that.........how many minutes do i try on DMZ.....i tried 10 (got scared when you said my comp will be open for wide open attacks) minutes of DMZ on bittorent and it didnt get higher than 10kb.....should i do it for more

wacomcduff
01-13-2004, 04:45 AM
Yes, try for longer. You should be safe to use the DMZ for a day or two. I did when I was trying to figure out why my download speeds sucked so bad. Also, download TorrentStorm and try that for your BT downloads. It allows you to set the maximum upload rate which can directly effect your download rates.

You should probably clear out the port forwarding entries we configured in your router too. If we got those wrong it might be effecting the function of the DMZ.

Switeck
01-13-2004, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by wacomcduff+12 January 2004 - 21:44--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (wacomcduff &#064; 12 January 2004 - 21:44)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>If you leave your router in the DMZ mode it leaves you&nbsp; wide open to attacks. If downloads start working great once you are in the DMZ then we can be pretty sure we are missing something when we tried to configure the router to forward ports.[/b]This is technically correct with 1 minor piece of ADDITIONAL information:
When you&#39;re not using a router or firewall you are also vulnerable to attacks... which is the way most everyone on dial-up and many on broadband are. DMZ makes your computer not the LEAST bit more vulnerable than most other computers.<!--QuoteBegin-AzNsMaRtGuY333@12 January 2004 - 22:24
ok..i found the DMZ mode...i see two options.....one is to enable it and another is the set the static IP

"Multiple PCs can be exposed to the Internet for two-way communications e.g. Internet gaming, video conferencing, or VPN connections.&nbsp; To use the DMZ, you must set a static IP address for that PC."

what do i put in that option[/quote]You have to use the LAN ip address for your computer and your computer MUST have a static LAN ip for this to work&#33; If your computer has a random/dynamic LAN ip, how can the router forward internet traffic to it? It&#39;s like trying to send snail mail to someone who&#39;s traveling.

There is nothing wrong with having a good router and firewall -- but if you want Kazaa Lite K++ to work correctly, the router and firewall HAS to be configured to allow KL++ full internet access. If they&#39;re not, expect download speeds to suffer.

AzNsMaRtGuY333
01-13-2004, 10:56 PM
allright i will experiment with DMZ for a few days while im doing that how do i use kazaa with KaNAT???

wacomcduff
01-14-2004, 12:29 PM
Start KaNat then start KaZaa. You will have to click the buttons in KaNat to populate the blank boxes with the IP addresses that go there. You can change the settings in KaNat to autodetect those IPs but by default you have to do it yourself at first. That&#39;s all there is to it. Use KaZaa as you normally would.

You should also go into your KaZaa options and on the Filter tab Uncheck the box for filtering out files "you can&#39;t download due to firewalls". Once that is unchecked, if you see lots of files with a red X icon in your Search window, then you still have a problem. If all the files show up normally, then KaZaa should work great.

The KaNat website also has great info about using KaNat as well as basics of port forwarding and router configuration. http://www.fasttrackhelp.com/development/ftfakes/