PDA

View Full Version : Xp Pro Firewall

Yanks0826
02-27-2003, 11:04 PM
I have windows XP Pro, and I enabled my firewall. But when I have it disabled, I am unable to connect to the internet. Do you know what settings I need to alter so that is not the case?

From what I heard, if your firewall is on or off, you should be able to access the internet.

Schmiggy_JK23
02-27-2003, 11:06 PM
for one i wouldnt use the xp firewall, its garbage.

download zone alarm pro, much better.

as far as ur settings, i have no clue. sry

TheMan1891
02-27-2003, 11:35 PM
How do you access the firewall settings?

Yanks0826
02-27-2003, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by TheMan1891@28 February 2003 - 00:35
How do you access the firewall settings?
Actually there are no settings, I just go to Network Conenctions and right click on the conenction, inside that I have the ability to turn it off or on.

J'Pol
02-27-2003, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by Yanks0826@28 February 2003 - 00:04
I have windows XP Pro, and I enabled my firewall. But when I have it disabled, I am unable to connect to the internet. Do you know what settings I need to alter so that is not the case?

From what I heard, if your firewall is on or off, you should be able to access the internet.
Don't even bother. Download the firewall of your choice using K++.

I use Norton Internet Security, however it's personal choice, other people think its rubbish

Here's a thought. Post a question about which is the best. Read the replies. Decide what you want and download it for free. You will get loads of usefull information here.

I am naturally suspicious of a firewall that M$ build into their OS.

Good Luck

Incidentally if you decide on Zone Alarm, don't bother using K++. It's free so it will be quicker getting it from the legit website.

Supernatural
02-28-2003, 06:34 AM
The XP firewall IS configurable (kinda). In the advanced tab, there is a "settings" button.

gumbydancin
02-28-2003, 10:08 AM
The xp firewall is a joke. Anyone can get past it. If you don't have an external one, try zone alarm pro. It's easy to configure and pretty effective.

Schmiggy_JK23
02-28-2003, 11:55 AM
i would use klite to get zone alarm pro though. the added tweaks are worth getting it off kazaa then the shareware version off their site.

imported_QuietSilence!
02-28-2003, 01:35 PM
the xp firewall may work thur a proxy to get ur connect to work with it off u got to
open inet explore go to tools-> inet options ->click the connections tab ->click lan settings at the bottom
is the screen that pops up un check use proxy

also be aware that the fire wall in XP is not the best one in the world it dose work well if u know how to use it but it take some one who is vary vary good at seting up fire walls and has a lot of knowlage of the subjet its not good for the novice.also it has no ability to check incoming packits for trogens and such nor dose it permission setings for indevigual apps unless ur an expert at firewalls i would sugest u use a 3rd party fire wall like nortons

McDagoWop
03-01-2003, 06:22 AM
Switch the built in XP-junk off....the rest has already been covered.....Norton is my preference......but that is just me.