View Full Version : Firewalls?

Yanks0826
02-27-2003, 11:30 PM
What are the best firewalls available?

I currently have windows XP's firewall.

ANy suggestions?

TheMan1891
02-27-2003, 11:39 PM
Kerio is decent, but I would recommend getting ZoneAlarm. Its pretty much the best. My Dad's PC has the Pro version and its an exetremly bad hassle for even a technicly minded person. Or mabye it was just me... I would recommend getting the free version. Norton's probably wouldnt be bad either.

Yanks0826
02-27-2003, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by TheMan1891@28 February 2003 - 00:39
Kerio is decent, but I would recommend getting ZoneAlarm. Its pretty much the best. My Dad's PC has the Pro version and its an exetremly bad hassle for even a technicly minded person. Or mabye it was just me... I would recommend getting the free version. Norton's probably wouldnt be bad either.
Thank you for your advice, I will download ZoneAlarm Pro, just to check it out.

All I want is a set it and forget it type firewall. I don't want to worry about setting things and allowing things all of the time.

Rip The Jacker
02-28-2003, 03:27 AM
I like Sygate Personal Firewall. It's small, simple, and free. It also needs very little system resources.

the-ninja69
02-28-2003, 03:50 AM
If i were you i would definately get BlackIce. It is the best out of all of them and provides the most protection form hackers. I heard form friends that Zone Alarm sux and is very easy for hackers to get through. Has a lot of holes and really doesn't. If a hacker desides to hack your comp zone alarm pro won't block him. Also zone alarm pro fu**ks up a lot. I thought norton was good and it very easy. Go with BlackIce if you want protection.

The Great Dude
02-28-2003, 03:52 AM
Zone Alarm is the best firewall, as long as you configure it right. Norton is not as good as you think for a firewall.

Supernatural
02-28-2003, 07:08 AM
Sygate is my fav too. It has a handy speedometer, and shows WHICH ports are being used by WHICH programs. I've used Tiny Personal, Z. Alarm, and Sygate. Sygate is by far the best. Z. Alarm is too much of a hassle. It comes down to personal preference though. All firewalls work good. Last time I used BlackIce (2 years ago), it was the worst piece of crap I ever saw. It might have changed sice then, but I don't know.

evilbagpuss
02-28-2003, 05:07 PM
I think Tiny is the best, closely followed by Sygate.

TRshady
03-02-2003, 10:54 PM
Aren't you missing out the best?

4play
03-02-2003, 11:10 PM
smoothwall (http://www.smoothwall.org) is a top notch firewall if you have a spare pc laying about.

outpost is also pretty good. outpost (http://www.agnitum.com)

but you can normally stick with anyone you like they all do roughly the same job. none of the software based ones are very secure. they are more of a deterant really.

just like if you have a steering lock on your car it is not much more secure coz they are easy to get off but it is enough to put off a car thief since it is extra hassel.

It is the same with these firewalls except they put off script kiddies. :ph34r:

sleepnmojo
03-02-2003, 11:21 PM
I like kerio personal firewall. Has everything you need and its free.

They split off from tiny, and haven't really pushed it. They have a beta out, haven't tried it yet. I don't like tiny's newest versions. I tried zone alarm a while back. Didn't really care for it. Most other ones you "should" pay for. :shifty:

ToraBoraDweller
03-02-2003, 11:41 PM
All of the above are better than Windows own firewall since that one
only monitors incoming traffic and not outgoing traffic.
If you are not used to working with firewalls :just take the one
with the easiest interface ,later on when you understand the principals
better you can always change to a more sophisticated one.
For myself I like ZoneAlarmPro still the best.

TRshady
03-02-2003, 11:42 PM
I still cant beleive no-one's mentioned norton firewall!

Nobody1234
03-03-2003, 02:53 AM
Norton Internet Security 2003 is a package that includes AntiVirus and Firewall amongst some other cool things.

You could also consider getting a NAT Router. (Built-in hardware firewall)

dimeco
03-03-2003, 04:21 AM
I'm a big fan of Sygate Personal Firewall Pro. Shows you the ports in use, incoming/outgoing speed, and also has other useful features like stealthing of user data (OS, browser, referer fields etc), an IDS, and the ability to record and log packets. I used to use ZAP but found it reported a lot of false positives (it would sometimes report 300 or more "attacks" per day).

junkyardking
03-03-2003, 04:28 AM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :) :) :) :P :P :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
firewalls, firewalls and firewalls , alot have been said about how this that firewall is great but alot of this is based on hearsay without actualy testing it out , zonealarm pro is good but does have faults.

Most firewalls reqiure at least some basic setup, some people tend to build their own firewalls e.g. system administrators and hackers, but this requires some skill.

I recommend trying a few, install one then test it by going to this site http://grc.com/default.htm and conduct the "shields up" and "leak" tests, which are designed to test your firewall and they are free.