PDA

View Full Version : Supernode ..what ,where .how...

othmanni
01-12-2004, 03:35 PM
hi there
while i was checking the topics out ..i found some one who is taking about supernode and how this shit can fasten ur download and stuff like that ...
i wanna know what is supernode how to make my self supernode ...

PS: i have satlite connection 2mb/s upload and 2mb/s download and i never i mean ever got download faster than 30kB/s
halla :o

ZaZu
01-12-2004, 05:13 PM
What is a supernode (http://www.fasttrackhelp.com/developmentforums/index.php?showtopic=3782)
Super node manual (http://www.fasttrackhelp.com/developmentforums/index.php?showtopic=5570)

;)

Switeck
01-12-2004, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by othmanni@12 January 2004 - 10:35

PS: i have satlite connection 2mb/s upload and 2mb/s download and i never i mean ever got download faster than 30kB/s
Satellite connections generally have a horrible latency (how quick it can respond back to a message) which makes them poor if not downright awful supernodes.

The numbers of small packets per second may even crash the connection (typically due to poorly-written software drivers for it) despite being WELL inside the connection's max speed limits.

Give being a supernode a try, but expect to have to reset your connection at least once.

othmanni
01-14-2004, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Switeck+12 January 2004 - 21:24--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Switeck @ 12 January 2004 - 21:24)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-othmanni@12 January 2004 - 10:35

Satellite connections generally have a horrible latency (how quick it can respond back to a message) which makes them poor if not downright awful supernodes.

The numbers of small packets per second may even crash the connection (typically due to poorly-written software drivers for it) despite being WELL inside the connection&#39;s max speed limits.

Give being a supernode a try, but expect to have to reset your connection at least once. [/b][/quote]
can some body explain what is wrong with satlite connection in easy english :blink:

Switeck
01-15-2004, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by othmanni@14 January 2004 - 09:47
can some body explain what is wrong with satlite connection in easy english :blink:
It&#39;s because sattellites used for this are 20,000+ miles away and the speed of light is &#39;only&#39; ~186,000 miles/sec.

To send a message TO a sattellite, back to Earth (your ISP&#39;s home base), back TO the sattellite, and back to you means the message has to travel that 20,000+ miles 4 times just to make 1 round trip.

This means nearly instantaneous responses are impssible.

othmanni
01-16-2004, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Switeck+15 January 2004 - 00:17--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Switeck @ 15 January 2004 - 00:17)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-othmanni@14 January 2004 - 09:47
can some body explain what is wrong with satlite connection in easy english&nbsp; :blink:
It&#39;s because sattellites used for this are 20,000+ miles away and the speed of light is &#39;only&#39; ~186,000 miles/sec.

To send a message TO a sattellite, back to Earth (your ISP&#39;s home base), back TO the sattellite, and back to you means the message has to travel that 20,000+ miles 4 times just to make 1 round trip.

This means nearly instantaneous responses are impssible. [/b][/quote]
wat :blink: noOoOh man i dont think this is true

Switeck
01-16-2004, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by othmanni@16 January 2004 - 07:33
What part don&#39;t you believe?

Your satellite dish points in a fixed direction, that means whatever it&#39;s pointing at isn&#39;t moving relative to your point of view. And that can ONLY happen for satellites that are about 23,000 miles from earth in Geosynchronous orbit&#33;

The speed of light (in a vaccuum) is about 186,000 miles/sec.

The only connection you have with the internet is through that satellite UNLESS you have a 56k modem as a backup connection. That means everything TO you has to pass through that satellite. For you to message someone and get a reply back requires passing through the satellite TWICE. (once going TO and the reply back FROM them) Since that combined distance is about 92,000 miles, the absolute THEORETICAL best pingtimes you can get are still 500 milliseconds (1/2 second.)

In short, FORGET playing realtime online games on a sat modem...

Spock4
01-17-2004, 09:22 AM
Ouch..
Well get cable...
or ADSL (phoneline + 100 times faster than dial-up)

junkyardking
01-17-2004, 10:14 AM
i&#39;ve got an easy answer, dont use kazaa.

Use bittorent and overnet clean far better than kazaa.

4th gen
01-17-2004, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by othmanni@16 January 2004 - 11:33
:lol:

the physics involved are sound, and I can&#39;t remember Switeck being wrong...

othmanni
01-17-2004, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Switeck+16 January 2004 - 23:12--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Switeck @ 16 January 2004 - 23:12)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-othmanni@16 January 2004 - 07:33
wat&nbsp; :blink:&nbsp; &nbsp; noOoOh man i dont think this is true
What part don&#39;t you believe?

Your satellite dish points in a fixed direction, that means........

[/b][/quote]
ok i read what you said more than 10 time and i have 2 question ..
one is relavent and the other one is not (i dont see that the other queston relevent except it is about kazaa so forgive mu jumps from one subject to another)

First ques: from what u have said.. dose that mean that dial up or DSL is better than satlite connction when it come in using kazaa lite [COLOR=red]my big confusion here is that i know that kazaa depend only on your download and the upload of other peaple ..
ok lets say my download speed is 250kB/Ss and i have 45 user on some file and it says that the bandwdith is 150 or whatever this means that weather am using satlite or dsl it all depend on my download speed and thier upload and does not say wether it is satlite or not or am i just trippin

[COLOR=blue]Second question: if i search for supernode using k node and i found list of supernodes all marked with different rangs of respones say from 1 to 14 or wat ever which one do i select
thanx in advanced B)

Switeck
01-17-2004, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by othmanni@17 January 2004 - 16:48
ok i read what you said more than 10 time and i have 2 question ..
one is relavent and the other one is not (i dont see that the other queston relevent except it is about kazaa so forgive mu jumps from one subject to another)

First ques: from what u have said.. dose that mean that dial up or DSL is better than satlite connction when it come in using kazaa lite my big confusion here is that i know that kazaa depend only on your download and the upload of other peaple ..
ok lets say my download speed is 250kB/Ss and i have 45 user on some file and it says that the bandwdith is 150 or whatever this means that weather am using satlite or dsl it all depend on my download speed and thier upload and does not say wether it is satlite or not or am i just trippin

Second question: if i search for supernode using k node and i found list of supernodes all marked with different rangs of respones say from 1 to 14 or wat ever which one do i select
Latency and bandwidth (speed) are 2 different things.

A 56k modem may have a considerably better latency (for small amounts of data only) than a satellite connection, but NOT (probably) better bandwidth. It&#39;s sort of like a fast car versis a freight train -- which one can HAUL more (bandwidth) or which one can get somewhere quicker (latency)?

http://www.stuartcheshire.org/rants/Latency.html
Explains it better than I can, even though the topic generally deals with out-of-date things like 28.8k modems&#33;

I don&#39;t know about the second question. It&#39;s true that MANY supernodes are worthless, but I don&#39;t use k node -- I just jump supernodes using KL++ itself and "roll the dice" for what I get. With auto search more, more than 1 supernode is being searched anyway without jumping supernodes -- although some results may be getting lost due to going through bad supernodes.

It&#39;s MORE important to be unfirewalled than get an &#39;excellent&#39; supernode for purposes of getting fast downloads&#33;

othmanni
01-18-2004, 09:17 AM
hey you know what you really deserve more just than 5tar ..being a big help andd all thanx dude :D

orcutt989
01-19-2004, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by Spock4@17 January 2004 - 09:22
Ouch..
Well get cable...
or ADSL (phoneline + 100 times faster than dial-up)
DOES ANYONE HAVE T1???

Stringpuller
01-20-2004, 07:09 AM
If you got more then one puter.Have the one hooked up with internet as your down loader.

This site is pretty good for tweek&#39;s for your connection.
http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php