PDA

View Full Version : Backing Up Dvds

Silver_Dales
01-13-2004, 09:03 AM
Hi I'm trying to back up a few movies and haqve tried tvarious progds. First i used DVD decrypter to rip the movie and then DVD shrink to compress it then burn it, fine. then when i went to play it in my set top dvd, nothing. Even in the PC, nothing.
Then I dl DVD X Copy and went through the processs with that, but, at 58% burn a error box comes up saying "coudnt burn to disc check log file" in there no clues. This ghappened twice, luckily I'm using +RW dvd's so no coasters.
Help.

gildan2020
01-13-2004, 10:33 AM
hmm...i dun have any dvd burners :P
it might be the copy protection that is making ur burning experience a tough time <_<
why dun u try alcohol 120%? u might find some luck using it
the demo version is at http://www.alcohol-software.com/

gildan2020

Silver_Dales
01-13-2004, 07:29 PM
I think I might have the problem. The +RW discs i have are Phillips 1-4x which apparently dont worrk on all DVD burners.
Any opinions from ay one or help appreciated.

Cheers

Amarjit
01-13-2004, 08:16 PM
With the first method you mentioned involving DVD Decrypter, did you rip one DVD, because otherwise there would be no need to compress it.

Silver_Dales
01-13-2004, 08:41 PM
Yes I did rip one DVD, but it was over 6gb so had to compress it to fit a 4.7gb disc.

vivitron 15
01-13-2004, 09:40 PM
yeah, you would have to compress it....though i use dvdshrink straight dvd to hdd, and its all compressed automatically :)

anyhow, it maybe the type of disk/recorder that you&#39;re using...best bet is to get a load of single disks, +/- different makes and record onto them in turn, find a make that seems to work with all your players and stick to it.

its usu just a case of playing until you get a good make. oh and make sure your standalone plays dvdR ;)

Silver_Dales
01-14-2004, 12:24 AM
I&#39;ve now updated the firmware on my burner and I&#39;m trying again with DVD shrink donig the ripping aswell as the compressing and then Nero to burn. Fingers crossed.

vivitron 15
01-14-2004, 12:53 AM
oh yeah, sometimes its better to burn as DVD (UDF) (might have data in the name)

this is what most do (i think)

but i burn it as movie, and just select all the video_ts files.

oh, and in dvd-shrink, i dropped it down to 4400MB, cos i was having probs at the end of the disk

Silver_Dales
01-14-2004, 01:04 AM
Well it failed. But it said it all encoded alright, so its definatly in the burn as they say. I was hoping to be abe to do a 1 to 1 copy so i get all the menus. I am really starting to think more seriously that it is the media and to try some other discs as Vivitron said.