PDA

View Full Version : Cd Burner Drive Will Not Respond

duke3
02-28-2003, 08:28 AM
After scaning my drive I find an erro message that states " the drive is locked by a disk utility. I have no idea how I locked this drive. but when I go to burn a cd it will not even recognize the drive itself. any help is geatly appreciate.

Supernatural
02-28-2003, 08:37 AM
It could be anything... system restore... norton recycle bin... Make sure you dont have any disk utilities monitoring the drive.

geprobert
02-28-2003, 08:40 AM
A few questions that might help the reaching of a verdict:

- What exactly do you mean by "After scanning my drive"?

- Have you actually physically got a CD disc in the drive?

- What CD-Writing software are you using? (Nero Burning ROM, Roxio Easy CD Creator, etc)

- If it is Nero, is InCD running / if it is Roxio is DirectCD running? (would by in System tray next to clock if so)

- This may seem daft, but have you re-booted?

Cheers!

duke3
02-28-2003, 08:55 AM
I m ua Sony Bs Recorder Gold 5. The reason I scan the disk was that I would not figure out what the problem was. this at least told me th drive was locked by a disk utility program. I have even reinstalled the sony softer but it does't recognize my e drive. It looks into the f drive where I have another read only cd. Everything was working fine unitl two nights ago. How could I determine what disk utility was being utilized. tom

duke3
02-28-2003, 09:00 AM
Where would I look to see if a disk utility was monitoring the drive.

gumbydancin
02-28-2003, 09:58 AM
If something is monitoring the drive it will be listed in the 'active processes'. Control-alt-delete and see what you have going. You can look up the exe abreviations at a variety of sights if you aren't familiar with them. You'll easily figure out which one it is.

ooh - forgot to mention. There is a possiblity that the program getting in your way installed an imcompatible driver, so once you figure out which one it is, you may need to uninstall it and reboot.

Yanks0826
02-28-2003, 11:24 PM
Just a quick note- unplug the drive from inside and plug it back in.

duke3
03-01-2003, 07:45 AM
Yank: We have lift off. Unplugging did the trick, thanks for the help :o :o :o :o :o :lol: :lol:

filewasp
03-01-2003, 08:18 PM
[COLOR=red] YANK0826: that was so brilliant and so simple.