PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Network

mooseman2070
01-15-2004, 07:33 PM
ok i have a wireless network with 3 computers, all of my downloads are worse than dialup, are there any tips on how to get a better signal? what kind of things can block the signal? is height a factor?

and when i forward ports, how does it know what program it is if i just type it in?

DWk
01-15-2004, 09:52 PM
Height? Well it IS distance, so depending on how much it could be. Are the computers in the same room?

internet.news
01-16-2004, 04:59 AM
Originally posted by DWk@15 January 2004 - 22:52
Height? Well it IS distance, so depending on how much it could be. Are the computers in the same room?
Try the following as Wireless is nice idea:

Put both PC's close together and then while tansfering a file go with one pc
further away from the other. If the transfer will be interrupted, it means no signal.

shn
01-18-2004, 04:35 AM
Originally posted by internet.news+15 January 2004 - 22:59--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (internet.news &#064; 15 January 2004 - 22:59)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-DWk@15 January 2004 - 22:52
Try the following as Wireless is nice idea:

Put both PC&#39;s close together and then while tansfering a file go with one pc
further away from the other. If the transfer will be interrupted, it means no signal.[/b][/quote]

Try an ad-hoc connection instead of (default wireless connection method) infrastructure.

Ad-hoc connections rock because your data does not have to go through the router or access point.

@mooseman2070

Right now some wireless solutions suck. Its all about the signal strength. You could go and buy a signal booster but the truth of the matter is 802.11b technology performance varies depending on what type of wireless hardware you have.

Have you seen all the wireless junk out nowadays.......its a trend and vendors dont make the products as good quality as they should.

An 11 meg per sec wireless adapter generally will get you about 100 feet indoors and 300 feet out. But thats give or take the walls, doors, and other obstacles including cordless phones and cell phones in your house.

Try a 54 meg per sec adapter...........you may get better signal strength and you may not.

I didnt take any cisco classes this semester because they took out the old books and replaced them with newer ones that have all this wireless topology and stuff.

Its catching on really quick almost too quick. I think 802.11g is supposed to better than 802.11b. Some adapters are g now instead of b. Try one of thoose as well.

Hope you get it working. Wireless networks are fun to have once you get em up and running.

:smilie4:

mooseman2070
01-19-2004, 01:14 AM
i have all he linksys g stuff, i forwarded ports wrong but i fixed it