PDA

View Full Version : Bin/iso..what?! Aarrgg!

Andyb
02-28-2003, 12:02 PM
Apologies if this query has been covered before..could'nt find any reference on a quick look thru..

I've downloaded the second cd of a 2 cd prog....let's call it No one lives forever 2 for example :¬) (sharereactor). (i've not got a cue BTW) It's extension is .exe. I don't usually have a prob with renaming this back to bin or whatever/converting to iso & then burning...(& info while downloading suggested it was a bin)...

OK...so I renamed it's extension to .bin & chose from within Nero to burn image...when I point it to the file it comes up with the following error..."The entered block size does not correspond to image length". I changed the extension to .iso to see what would happen & it still threw up the same error..

Anyway...I tried another way..I changed the extension back to .bin & did what I usually do.....I used "bin to iso" to convert the file from the "assumed" bin to an iso image....had no probs burning the converted iso image to cd thru nero then....BUT!!...The cd..even tho showing it has a few hundred megs of data on it..shows up blank!

I KNOW this is not a fake because I can look at the original file (whether named to bin or iso) using another prog called isobuster (don't know if this prog will help me to burn it onto cd btw) & it shows me the actual contents...so..where am I going wrong??? Any help appreciated...not downloaded the first cd yet....assuming it will do the same..cheers..Andy

Ynhockey
02-28-2003, 12:12 PM
You're not going wrong anywhere - sometimes when you burn a file that's difficult to burn (or so i think), the CD-ROM won't recognize this CD. Restart your computer and insert the CD as soon as Windows comes up - it should work for now.

Besides, if you use ISOBuster, you don't need to burn the ISO, just burn the extracted contents.

Andyb
02-28-2003, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the quick reply m8, will give it a try....as for burning the extracted files onto cd...think I did this once before with another prog & when I was to to insert 2nd cd I was told to insert the original....But will give it another try...tnx again.

Nightwolf
03-01-2003, 08:14 PM
You could also try getting WinISO. I've used that to convert .bin to .iso with no problems so far. Sounds like ISOBuster is pretty much the same thing, but maybe this will work better for you.

Supernatural
03-02-2003, 05:37 AM
Sounds like you got a coaster. It happens... Try it again, with a slower write speed this time (if possible).

Andyb
03-02-2003, 09:21 PM
Will have a look at that winiso.....don't hurt to try alternatives..tnx for the suggestion...Also yeah I halve my speed anyway to 8x when burning...next time I come across this prob I'll do it again at a slower speed just in case it IS just a bad one off burn....Anyway!.....After the first reply kicked my arse into the isobuster direction...I did end up converting to readable files & just burned them on that way & it worked :¬) Thanks for the time & suggestions all..appreciated :¬) ;)

DataMore
03-02-2003, 09:36 PM
You're doing everything right, except one thing.
When Nero shows up the error: "The entered block size does not correspond to image length" you shouldn't think that's wrong. You just didn't choose the right options or it were the wrong .cue files that were loaded.

Try this:

Go to 'File' > 'Burn Image...' then choose the .bin file you want to burn (not the .cue) and click 'Open'.
When the 'Foreign Image Settings' window pops up, make sure the 'Type of Image' is 'Data Mode 1' and the 'Raw data' box is checked.
Click OK.

The error should not occur anymore and the .bin files can now be burned.

B)

haggster
03-05-2003, 02:34 AM
If burning on cds doesn't work you can always mount it on a fake cd-rom drive with a proggy called d-tools (aka deamon tools).
Works well when you have lans and dont want to waste cds.