PDA

View Full Version : I Can't Find The Harddrive Listed On My Computer

mojo2185
01-16-2004, 10:42 PM
I have borrowed a Lacie firewire harddrive from my school. I plug it in, and I can find it listed in the "device manager" as well as on "safely remove hardware" but I can't find the drive on my computer (as in when I try to save things to it). Anyone know where it could be? I've looked under My Computer, still no luck.
I'm running Windows XP Pro.
Thanks for any info!

tesco
01-16-2004, 10:55 PM
Does it show up in disk management?
Right click on my computer>click manage>on left side click disk management.

Does it show there? what does it say when u click the drive\partition?

mojo2185
01-16-2004, 10:58 PM
Under the scroll bar of "manage", the disks are listed... disk2 appears to be the disk drive (50gigs, about the size of the hard drive i checked out) but it has a red negative sign on it and says "unknown" and "not initialized." Like i said, shows up in device manager listed under harddrives and its properties say "working normally". An "Initialize and convert disk manager" popped up when i clicked disk management. Any idea what that is, I don't want to format the drive!

One more thing, look around in XPs help files, I could initialize the disk, but... will this a. format the drive b. make it only work with windows XP? reason being, the harddrive is not mine (its the schools), and it runs on Macs at schools, not PCs.

Thanks!

tesco
01-16-2004, 11:38 PM
theres ur problem, if its for a mac i dont think it will work on a pc...im not entirely sure as ive never even used a mac but but i think they use a idfferent operating system from windows and would have to be formatted to work on a windows pc sorry...maybe there might be some software out there that would allow u to access it but u will have to wait for someone else to answer.

mojo2185
01-16-2004, 11:47 PM
theres ur problem, if its for a mac i dont think it will work on a pc
Not sure if that is necessarily true. My teacher said it should work, but he could be way off. Thanks for trying though, I appreciate it!