PDA

View Full Version : Wmp9/cd Burner Issue

tianup
02-28-2003, 08:56 PM
Hi folks,

I've searched everywhere and cannot find any helpful info on this problem. I recently installed WMP 9, and have since had only problems, which noone else seems to have (yes, I've done updated checks for viruses, etc.).

WMP 8 worked great - the only change is the update - now I have trouble burning CD's sometimes, and now WMP is playing back some of my CD's which were burned with a high-end audio program slowly and with glitches. It's also been trashing a lot of CD's lately.

Burner is a Hitachi HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4320B (using XP Home).

P4 2.26GHz P4S533 XP Home
1 GB DDR RAM
nVidia G4MX460-VTP
RME Multiface
3x 80 GB ATA 133 Drives (Removeable)
Ego-Sys 4140
UAD-1

BTW - Is there a way to roll back to WMP8 without doing a system restore?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Grim
03-02-2003, 06:58 AM
There is a new MP9...9.00.00.2980. This is not the beta version.
The beta version kept lockin up on my PC, this new one does'nt.
If you want to get rid of it "Control Panel/Add Remove Programs" & just uninstall

tianup
03-02-2003, 07:59 AM
Grim,

Thanks for the reply, but I've had that version since early January. Also, you CANNOT uninstall WMP9 - if you don't believe me, try it. Microsoft did this on purpose. The only way it appears you can roll back is to do a system restore or reformat. Motherf&@%#r.

Grim
03-02-2003, 09:55 AM
I hope that "Motherf&@%#r" was meant for Bill Gates & not me. I have just successfully uninstalled WMP9, (NO LIES HERE) i am now left with mplayer2. I am using 98SE. I have Control Panel in quickstart & when i had to reboot it was gone, havent noticed any other differences yet, i will let you know if i do.

ragzinc
03-02-2003, 10:46 AM
try going in add and remove windows components in the add & remove window...uncheck wmp and click ok...it should delete..???? and u can??? probably reinstall wmp 8 the same way...by checking the box this time

tianup
03-02-2003, 08:58 PM
:o Motherf&@%#r was definitely meant for microsoft and as a general comment as well, not directed at you. Will try suggestions and get back. :blink:

tianup
03-03-2003, 04:53 AM
<_< Thanks for the good intentions guys, but as I thought, your ideas do not pertain to XP. As I stated in my post, microsoft set it up this way. I have searched all over the place, and I know quite a lot about this stufff in the first place. Only came here in desperation cause some of the posts I read here are quite knowledgeable, and everywhere else is coming up empty as well. Still hoping someone can actually help.... :unsure:

Cheers

tianup
03-04-2003, 06:02 PM
Where are the pro&#39;s I see replying to shit all the time. Someone must know how to fix this dumbass program. :angry:

Please. Help. Freaking. Out. :blink:

spudlover
03-04-2003, 06:17 PM
You cannot uninstall WMP9 on a XP machine.

You are told this before you install the program.

It&#39;s not Microsoft&#39;s fault, you should&#39;ve tooken the time to read the information on what you were installing.

tianup
03-04-2003, 06:52 PM
A straight answer. Thank you.

Does anyone know if there&#39;s an update for WMP9 coming soon? If I can&#39;t get rid of it, maybe the update will fix the problem. :huh:

tianup
03-04-2003, 07:17 PM
BTW - Is it possible to install WMP8 over WMP9?

spudlover
03-04-2003, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by tianup@4 March 2003 - 20:17
BTW - Is it possible to install WMP8 over WMP9?
I&#39;m not sure - you could try.

But, most MS apps check the current version number of the software before installing, and if the current installed is greater than the version it&#39;s about to install, setup will close (this is the case with IE, at least).

If you can&#39;t do anything else, you might as well try.

Grim
03-04-2003, 08:21 PM
You could try deleting it from the reg & deleting the Windows Media Player folder & then try to install WMP8 which should replace everything you deleted. Be sure to backup your reg & copy & paste the Windows Media Player folder. Install WMP8 before you reboot. This would be quicker than doing a full reinstall which is what you had in mind in the first place. If it fu*ks up then DO a full reinstall but i am sure this should work.

WebCheF
03-05-2003, 04:48 AM
Bummer&#33; No, sorry to say once you winstall it you got it. and if you try to pick and peck it out, xp will fail. I have a similar system to yours, and I love the gi in v9. but I am a beginer in file&#39;ng and editing.

I would try to reinstall Media 9 before you give up.

also, if you have nero and roxio on board or multiple image emulators, they may interfere with the burn interface. I use nero, it has a high speed burn plug for WMP.