PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drives

Yanks0826
02-28-2003, 10:47 PM
I have a question, I am going to buy a new hard drive to go with my old drive. My question is that since I will use my new hard drive as my master- do I need to install a operating system to it? I will still have my old drive for my slave, which has XP.

4play
02-28-2003, 10:54 PM
why not use your new one as the slave since you are probably only going to use it as storage it does not make much difference.

and you could use a bootloader to point straight to your xp on the slave if you wanna do it that way.

Schmiggy_JK23
02-28-2003, 10:56 PM
I would do a fresh install of xp on the new drive if I were.

That is what I am doing on my drive. I have two now, a 13 and 80, the 13 is the master. I am going to back up my windows settings from the 13 to the 80gb , take it out, install the 180gb drive, install xp on it, install my appz and proggies from the 80gb slave drive, and then restore the back up settings from the 80gb to the new master the 180gb.

A fresh install with xp is always good, any os, specially if u have had it for awhile.

Schmiggy_JK23
02-28-2003, 10:58 PM
and, it makes sense to have ur os, and appz on the new drive, which most likely is faster? because, then stuff loads faster. I made that mistake with my 13 and 80, shoulda made the newer drive the master, but i used it for storage, where as were it the other way around, i could have had better performance, your choice i guess.

Yanks0826
02-28-2003, 11:22 PM
My current HD is only 20gig and it makes a lot of noise. It makes a constant high pitch sound so I will use that for only storage.
My new HD will be 60 or 80 gig. If I make that my master, now would I go about installing a OS on it?

Schmiggy_JK23
02-28-2003, 11:45 PM
heres what u do.

while u can install it just on the drive, by booting the cdrom drive first, and ur xp cd in it, after u install the hd. If you dont feel comfortable working "outside" of windows, set the new drive as slave, boot up into windows, run ur xp cd, and install xp onto the new drive.

Power down, swap your drives around. setting the new one as the master, the old as the slave. restart, then install all your applications to the new drive. Take your media, ur audio, video, appz, etc, from the old, to the new drive, if u want, and then format the old drive to get rid of the previous windows install, and the applications.

Nightwolf
02-28-2003, 11:51 PM
If the new drive is larger and faster than your old one, it makes perfect sense to use it as your primary master, and yes you will need to install Windows onto it. However, a clean install will wipe out all your current Windows settings, and force you to reinstall all the other programs currently on your system. If you buy a Maxtor brand hard drive, it should come with a program called MaxBlast, which will copy everything from your old drive to the new one for you. That way you won't need to reinstall anything. You can also download this utility from the link below, but at least one of your drives must be from Maxtor for it to work.

http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads...s/maxblast3.htm (http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/maxblast3.htm)

Schmiggy_JK23
02-28-2003, 11:54 PM
ya. I had thought about that, but my primary drive was originally win98, then upgraded to xp pro, so i figured instead of cloning that image of that drive, and have all that old shit from old os, i would just do a fresh install, and reinstall all my appz.

You back up your aplication and windows settings, and just reinstall the settings, with windows xp back up. Thats what I plan do.

However, doing that, will i need to reinstall all my drivers for my hardware? Or will that windows xp back up save those?

Yanks0826
03-01-2003, 12:59 AM
Thanks for all of your input. But I have one more question:
Would I be able to install my new hard drive with a windows xp CD then start from scratch with that?

Supernatural
03-01-2003, 05:26 AM
Originally posted by Yanks0826@28 February 2003 - 19:59
Thanks for all of your input. But I have one more question:
Would I be able to install my new hard drive with a windows xp CD then start from scratch with that?
If the CD is bootable.