PDA

View Full Version : Best Windows For Gaming, Multimedia

xxkazaaliteuserxx
01-18-2004, 08:20 AM
hey yall, i see many version of windows xp in suprnova, and i wonder which one should be suited for me, i use my comp to play games, watch videos, music any ect...so which one is your recommendation

sparsely
01-18-2004, 08:23 AM
windows 9x is less resource hungry than XP, but most new games are designed mostly for XP.
windows 2000 is an option, but compatibility is sometimes an issue.
XP will probably be okay, you can turn off visual styles and all the flashy stuff if performance is poor.

Keikan
01-18-2004, 08:31 AM
Windows XP Home/Pro

or else Win98se it's still good for 2 more years. My local internet cafe uses 98 for all their games

Windows 2000 is good as long as you don't have a joystick/gamepad

3RA1N1AC
01-18-2004, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by Sparsely@18 January 2004 - 00:23
windows 9x is less resource hungry than XP, but most new games are designed mostly for XP.
windows 2000 is an option, but compatibility is sometimes an issue.
XP will probably be okay, you can turn off visual styles and all the flashy stuff if performance is poor.
agreed, basically.

on an old computer (slower than 1ghz, i'd guess) you might see faster performance with Win 9X, though it's more prone to crashing. but it is still a reasonable choice for old computers that don't handle Win XP very well.

on a more recent computer, Win 2000 & Win XP are essentially the same. 2000 & XP Pro have a few more advanced options if you really want to tinker with it, but for the average user (who does games/music/email/browsing etc) XP Home Version is perfectly okay.

peat moss
01-18-2004, 10:13 AM
Use win xp sometimes you can try the compalibility wizard and use win 98 drivers

shn
01-18-2004, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by xxkazaaliteuserxx@18 January 2004 - 02:20
hey yall, i see many version of windows xp in suprnova, and i wonder which one should be suited for me, i use my comp to play games, watch videos, music any ect...so which one is your recommendation
Why not Linux http://www.laisen.dk/uploads/pics/linux.tux_02.gif

Dont answer that............... just a thought, :rolleyes:

DWk
01-18-2004, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Keikan@18 January 2004 - 01:31
Windows XP Home/Pro
NEVER recommend WinXP Home Edition :angry:

Get WinXP Pro...

Linux? Well it's not a bad option since Wine is around ;)

SciManAl
01-18-2004, 04:24 PM
on an old computer linux would be the best solution minus the lack of popular game developers that make linux versions... although you can still get things like CS (Counter strike half life mod) and a few others...i have a feeling though that in the near future that game developers will start mqaking linux distributions... or at least unix ones... so they can hits both the new macs, and the Linux crowd...

But for right now your best bet is Windows xp, don't even get pro... get corperate version... it is a sticky in this section... It has a guide how to get a really reliable verion of XP

Also it might help us if you could explain what kind of system stats you have so we can decide what your comp can handle...

That shoud do it....

LSA
01-18-2004, 04:41 PM
I have a 633 MHz Celeron and 384mb RAM, I turned off all effects in windows xp pro and it runs better than windows 98 ever did.

Linux would be great for games if only developers made their games for it...in my experiences wine usually doesnt work with games very well...but some have goten them to run better than they do in windows so it is worth a try...maybe i should install my video card drivers and then check if they work :lol:

There are also p2p replacement programs for linux for just about every p2p network....

Fasttrack: gIFT (need plugin)
SoulSeek: Nicotine
Emule: Xmule
Gnutella: LimeWire
Bittorrent: ...many...search on sourceforge
DirectConnect: DC-GUI, DC-QT

Just do a search for any of those clients and you should find them

100%
01-18-2004, 06:34 PM
System Settings for a Game Machine in XP (http://tweakxp.com/display.aspx?id=114)

Gaming Machine: Hardware Profile to free up System Resources (http://tweakxp.com/display.aspx?id=1554)

and

http://php.technobabble.com.au/contentid-9.html

shn
01-18-2004, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by xxkazaaliteuserxx@18 January 2004 - 02:20
Xp pro would probably be best for you right now.

xxkazaaliteuserxx
01-19-2004, 03:11 AM
well, luckily i just got a new comp,
it has:

p4-2.8ghz
523mb
256mb nvida fx 5600
winxp home

and it working good rite now, but it don hav the recovery disc with it, and i afraid i migh mess it up, so i try to look for a windows for it before it got messed up. but when i go to suprnova and take a look i see many version of xp there, so i kinda confuse of with one to use. that's why i ask yal, and sorry for the late reply.

shn
01-19-2004, 03:24 AM
Originally posted by xxkazaaliteuserxx@18 January 2004 - 21:11
it has:

p4-2.8ghz
523mb
256mb nvida fx 5600
winxp home

and it working good rite now, but it don hav the recovery disc with it, and i afraid i migh mess it up, so i try to look for a windows for it before it got messed up. but when i go to suprnova and take a look i see many version of xp there, so i kinda confuse of with one to use. that's why i ask yal, and sorry for the late reply.
Looks reasonable.

Drop the xp "home" though. Pro is better. :rolleyes:

ricochet
01-19-2004, 04:15 AM
Originally posted by shn+19 January 2004 - 03:24--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (shn @ 19 January 2004 - 03:24)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-xxkazaaliteuserxx@18 January 2004 - 21:11
it has:

p4-2.8ghz
523mb
256mb nvida fx 5600
winxp home

and it working good rite now, but it don hav the recovery disc with it, and i afraid i migh mess it up, so i try to&nbsp; look for a windows for it before it got messed up. but when i go to&nbsp; suprnova and take a look i see many version of xp there, so i kinda confuse of with one to use. that&#39;s why i ask yal, and sorry for the late reply.
Looks reasonable.

Drop the xp "home" though. Pro is better. :rolleyes: [/b][/quote]
How right you are ... Pro is a great os.. ;)