PDA

View Full Version : All Those Who Wont Share

Shaman
01-19-2004, 01:14 AM
simple enough..

I am totally naffed off with running 'find files by user searches' and finding so many dont seem to be offering any files to be shared.

so... as this is a fileshare p2p system we are on , my question is...
is there anyway to permanently block these greedy buggers from accessing my machine/files.

I dont mind anyone who shares dl'ing any file I have in my shared'.. but would love to tell the non-sharers to take a full on flying one by blocking their access....
BUT ..how do i do it...if I can indeed do it.

Vargas
01-19-2004, 01:57 AM
if you use kazaa lite with default settings people can't see if you are sharing anything when you download from them either.
kazaa AND kazaa lite have options that block people seeing your shared files.

so how do you know these people you want to block aren't sharing???

EDIT but if you want to be sure youre uploading to people who share, use BitTorrent or ed2k

Mr. Blunt
01-19-2004, 02:15 AM
Are we still bitching about people not sharing?

Java Boy
01-19-2004, 02:45 AM
Use the search feature .... ;) instead of worrying what uploaders in your slots are sharing

Shaman
01-19-2004, 10:22 AM
nope mr blunt...not bitching.. that would have been a two page ramble about my delicate feelings being hurt..
I asked how to block the dickheads.
Thought that was plainly stated.
and if you dont like questions clearly aimed at non-sharing tosspots.. hell, dont read em , then bitch about it..

keep smilin...

Sparkle1984
01-19-2004, 08:49 PM
There's no way to tell if people are sharing or not, because most people nowadays have the option turned on that prevents others from seeing what files they share - you can blame the RIAA for this !!!

nankur
01-19-2004, 10:04 PM
I like to put in a little word here. Shaman, I don't blame you for bitching about people who won't share on kazaa. I can totally understand your point of view.
Unfortenately I am one off those persons who doens't share many things on Kazaa.
And I will explain you why.
I am from Belgium, I have cable internet.
I don't know how things are in other countries but we have the choice between TWO internet providers. With both off them we are limited in both download as upload.
My upload limit is set on 1,5 Gigabyte in one month. If I would share all my files on Kazaa that would mean that after a couple off days I reach my limit and I can wait one month before I could surf the internet again.
Sorry but I don't have much choise about sharing files.

Shaman
01-20-2004, 12:09 AM
thanks for the reply nankur..
My access is 24/7 with no limits. I didnt know some cables worked that way..totally understand why you do it the way you do..maybe I would to with your provider..

Switeck
01-20-2004, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by nankur@19 January 2004 - 17:04
I am from Belgium, I have cable internet.
I don't know how things are in other countries but we have the choice between TWO internet providers. With both off them we are limited in both download as upload.
My upload limit is set on 1,5 Gigabyte in one month. If I would share all my files on Kazaa that would mean that after a couple of days I reach my limit and I can wait one month before I could surf the internet again.
Sorry but I don't have much choise about sharing files.
A 56k modem could UPLOAD more than 1.5 GB in HALF a month. It is easy to use up that much upload bandwidth just playing online games with MODEM users!

What you have doesn't DESERVE to be called 'broadband'... you probably should tell them they have FALSE advertising.

Basically no one sharing files on Kazaa/KL++ should be doing so without upload bandwidth limits that DON'T overload the connection. It is foolish and counterproductive to run 'unlimited upload bandwidth'... as few actually have a connection that fast. :P

Also, it is foolish to share 1,000+ files at once on Kazaa/KL++ unless they are small files (well under 1 MB) and demand is reasonably low. Otherwise, thousands (potentially even MILLIONS!) of people could be trying to download from you at once! This I call a self-induced Distributed Denial of Service Attack (DDoS Attack.) Your ISP will hate you for it. :lol:

It must suck to be working for the RIAA and yet not be on their payroll.

~FunK_mOb~
01-20-2004, 12:18 AM
Nankur...what is your provider?Telenet or Skynet?
I'm from belgium too,my provider is Skynet and I have a limit of 10gb transfer per month.So my guess is you have cable trough telenet.My upload isn't limited sepperatly from my download wich means if I only download 1gb in a month I can still upload the 9gb remaining.I just noticed I croosed my limit for this month...already :rolleyes: . so I got myself a service pack wich gives me another 5gb for 5euro.The gb that's left over from the service pack is automaticly transfered to the next month.So if I only use two gb of the service pack I get the remaining 3gb extra the next month.Eventhugh it sucks that they set a monthly limit,this isn't a bad deal(if you don't have to do this every month ofcourse).
When I crossed my monthly limit my speed gets set back to the speed of a 56k'er and that sucks!So I rather pay 5euro to keep my kickass speeds :01: :)

nankur
01-21-2004, 05:10 PM
Yes FunK_mOb, I am on cable via Telenet. With Telenet we have a limit off 10Gb too. But in this 10Gb we have a limit for 1.5Gb upload. I know in other countries this isn't often the case, I know even in Brussel a collegue off mine who as another cable company and he doesn't have a limit.
We can also buy more gigabyte but where does it stop? They charges 1€ per Gb but that is also limited part upload and part download.

We can only hope that soon other cable providers will come to Belgiuml and they will get the prices down.
And Switeck, this is why they can charge 40€ a month and still give limits on our internet. There is no competition. It is very fast. It is cable. It is broadband.

The moment they releave us off those stupid limits, I put all my files on kazaa and share like everyone else. That is a promis.

Switeck
01-22-2004, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by nankur@21 January 2004 - 12:10
And Switeck, this is why they can charge 40€ a month and still give limits on our internet. There is no competition. It is very fast. It is cable. It is broadband.
"Very fast" is a loaded, relative term nowdays. :(
Even an ancient ISA Lan card might be able to do 8 Mbps, yet I'd hardly call that fast anymore. :(

What are some speed numbers?
300+ KB/sec downloads from good websites?

HARNOvHARNO
01-23-2004, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by Sparkle1984@19 January 2004 - 20:49
There's no way to tell if people are sharing or not, because most people nowadays have the option turned on that prevents others from seeing what files they share - you can blame the RIAA for this !!!
is there eny reson to hide a full list of what you sharing?

muchspl2
01-23-2004, 12:49 AM
http://members.cox.net/dodger1954/slap.gif yes

riaa/mpaa alone is enough

Switeck
01-23-2004, 05:56 AM
Originally posted by HARNOvHARNO+22 January 2004 - 19:29--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (HARNOvHARNO @ 22 January 2004 - 19:29)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Sparkle1984@19 January 2004 - 20:49
There&#39;s no way to tell if people are sharing or not, because most people nowadays have the option turned on that prevents others from seeing what files they share - you can blame the RIAA for this &#33;&#33;&#33;is there eny reson to hide a full list of what you sharing? [/b][/quote]
Even if there were no RIAA/MPAA/BSA bots looking for copyright violations, there are idiots to consider as well...

These are the people who will list all your files then try to DOWNLOAD all your files.

Even the listing of all your files can eat serious bandwidth for a few seconds if you&#39;re sharing 1,000+ files.

And the more files you share, in theory the greater the probability one of your files will match a random search. And the more files match a random search, the greater the odds someone WILL try to list all your files. So as you share more, MORE people will try to list all your files -- further compounding bandwidth useage.

Having to send out 100+ KB lists of all your files to EVERYONE that requests them can end up eating most/all of your upload bandwidth.

Soon, you may be sharing nothing but these lists... which RIAA/MPAA/BSA would be happy to get.