PDA

View Full Version : Watch Out 4 This

redemption
01-19-2004, 01:50 PM
i downloaded a file off irc, was running norton firewall and norton av 2004, when i opened the file in irc download folder which i thought was just the anti hacker and trojan removal kit had another file attatched called xdccaccelerator. they both opened and then my firewall and av both went off the screen, dissabled themselves. now i cant uninstall them as whatever it is keeps saying that a previous norton is installing so reboot and try again, even though it definately isnt. so1) i cant remove my av and firewall and 2) i tried symantecs online virus checker 2 and it says nothing found. and 3) i cant reinstall my norton. the only thing i managed to do id dl zone alarm pro so that at least i got some protection. so that if some script kiddie runs port scans he cant see that ive got whatever it is. any help would be most appreciated :angry:

Mercy
01-19-2004, 04:46 PM
check ur start up programs there
Start >> Run >> msconfig >> Startup tab

and uncheck any suspecious proggy that runs in the start

or u can download this http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml which would be better b.c u will control anything starting up when ur pc boots

Edit : spelling

downloader2008
01-19-2004, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Mercy@19 January 2004 - 11:46
check ur start up programs there
Start >> Run >> msconfig >> Startup tab

and uncheck any suspecious proggy that runs in the start
Also, press CTRL+ALT+DEL and delete any suspicious programs running.

ZeroTolerance
01-19-2004, 06:02 PM
what5s the name of the file so the rest of us can be safe from it and to help you out a little bit more ;)

redemption
01-20-2004, 02:31 AM
its called xdccaccelerator, its hidden as an app and when i virus checked it first it didnt pick up anything at all, even nothing on the symante lists seen as though as though i dont know any name 4 it, sorry i cant help anymore, one thing ive done is turn off system restore, so when i do a clean wipe and use my backup, then hopefully it isnt still there. tried the usual startup menu and cant seem to see anything unusual there, allso checked the registry 2 :frusty:

Mercy
01-21-2004, 01:33 AM
have u tried startupCPL ? sometimes it gets hidden startup items
good luck

redemption
01-21-2004, 06:42 PM
iil give it a try mercy cheers :D

Spock4
01-22-2004, 04:34 AM
Spyware/Adaware.

*Try defragment

*Try a small AV program such as Here (http://www.avast.com/i_idt_153.html)

*Install Ad-aware 6.0 Build 181
*Install CWShredder
*Install Spybot search and destroy

======WEB UPDATE BEFORE SCANNING=======