PDA

View Full Version : Help Putting Win Xp On!

artmaster88
03-01-2003, 10:46 AM
well i wanna put win xp on. the thing is do i need to format both HDDs? or can I just format one? cuz i had planned to format C: Drive get all the files from D: and E: and ban them to cd. then format both and put win xp on again, but this time onto the bigger HDD. sounds good, but i don't know if i can do that. thx for any help. i know how to do everything, but don't know if that would work, just wanted to hear from you peeps experiences. i had a virus, that's why this is so complicated...

Greetz,
KraZaka

J'Pol
03-01-2003, 11:36 AM
If you are doing this because of virus issues I would suggest you go right back to basics and F-Disk. That does a better job of getting rid of everything. Formatting doesn't really do that. As you are formatting both drives anyway then there is no reason not to do this. You can set up your partitions at the same time. Start with a good healthy clean system.

How are your drives configured, ar they on the same chanel, or on different ones. If they are on the same then probably best to make the boot drive the master. If you currently have the small hdd as master and the large as slave then just change the jumpr settings.

As you say you know how to do everything I take it you have the necessary boot disks, drivers etc.

Good Luck, I hope it all goes well.

artmaster88
03-01-2003, 12:41 PM
yes i have the boot disk and drivers
but can i just format the boot drive (which of course is master, and the smaller one, which will change later on) and let the slave be? i've got a lot of important school documents on there, and my backups aren't the newest... i want to format boot drive put win xp on, then burn everything from the slave to cd. later i will go back to the basics, but for now i was wondering if formatting would do the job? i need the stuff on the slave drive!

Greetz,
KraZaka

J'Pol
03-01-2003, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by artmaster88@1 March 2003 - 13:41
yes i have the boot disk and drivers
but can i just format the boot drive (which of course is master, and the smaller one, which will change later on) and let the slave be? i've got a lot of important school documents on there, and my backups aren't the newest... i want to format boot drive put win xp on, then burn everything from the slave to cd. later i will go back to the basics, but for now i was wondering if formatting would do the job? i need the stuff on the slave drive!

Greetz,
KraZaka
If you have 2 hdds and you format one of them that does not effect data on the other drive in any way. Once you re-install the os then the data will still be there on the other drive.

If you are really worried about losing the stuff then back it up before you do anything. If you chose not to do this and are still concerned then why not remove the slave. Dont actually take it out, just disconnect the ide cable at the back. Then whatever you do you cannot effect the data on that drive. When your system is up and running again simply turn off, put the plug back in again and switch on your system. I am assuming your bios is set to automatically detect if a drive is present and if so get it's details.

artmaster88
03-01-2003, 01:25 PM
that's exactly what i wanted to know... if i can just install the os and then just plug on the old hdd and "steal" the data. thx. and yes my bios is setup to detect hdds. click the links in my sig, your reward. lol

Greetz,
KraZaka

J'Pol
03-01-2003, 01:32 PM
As long as it's just data that's cool. Different if it's progs as they would have entries in the registry. The files would still be on the second drive, but may not work and would have to be re installed.

If it's documents, spreadsheets, movies, music etc them it won't cause a problem. They will still be there.

artmaster88
03-01-2003, 01:45 PM
ok, then it's all cool. there are some progs like kazaa and shit on it, but i wanted to update that anyway. at least my second computer setup up as a "user server" (on all the time downloding, burning all it does) works.
thx d00d. don't forget to pick up your reward ;) :D :rolleyes:

Greetz,
KraZaka

Supernatural
03-02-2003, 05:06 AM
You only need to format the drive that is windows is running from. Slaves just have data that can be swapped with no problem. (Some have OS files, but only if configured to do so. Swap file for example.)

I would suggest trying to 'update' to XP first so you can keep your settings and programs. If the update isn't working too well, then format and do a clean install. I update my machine and my dad's machine from 98 to XP pro and both machines work perfect. All programs and settings stayed intact.

J'Pol
03-02-2003, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Supernatural@2 March 2003 - 06:06
You only need to format the drive that is windows is running from. Slaves just have data that can be swapped with no problem. (Some have OS files, but only if configured to do so. Swap file for example.)

I would suggest trying to 'update' to XP first so you can keep your settings and programs. If the update isn't working too well, then format and do a clean install. I update my machine and my dad's machine from 98 to XP pro and both machines work perfect. All programs and settings stayed intact.
Good point well made.

However the chap mentioned a virus problem. I think that's why he wants to scrub the lot and start again. Belt and braces thing I think.

artmaster88
03-02-2003, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by JmiF+2 March 2003 - 10:08--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JmiF @ 2 March 2003 - 10:08)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Supernatural@2 March 2003 - 06:06

I would suggest trying to &#39;update&#39; to XP first so you can keep your settings and programs. If the update isn&#39;t working too well, then format and do a clean install. I update my machine and my dad&#39;s machine from 98 to XP pro and both machines work perfect. All programs and settings stayed intact.
Good point well made.

However the chap mentioned a virus problem. I think that&#39;s why he wants to scrub the lot and start again. Belt and braces thing I think. [/b][/quote]
JmiF at least you thoroughly read the post.... but thanks for the tip anywas supernatural.

Greetz,
KraZaka