PDA

View Full Version : Windows Tips

CoolMac
01-19-2004, 10:24 PM
Alright,so after playing a game or using a program u notice that windows stays a little "touched" even if u closed the programm.With this simple script we're going to make windows refresh the RAM so that we can use our resources better (doesn't recover the 100% but helps ;) ) We open notepad and write this:
If we have less than 128 MB of RAM we write:

Mystring=(16000000)

If we have 128 MB of RAM or more we write:

Mystring=(80000000)

then we have to save the file as (for example) "free memory.vbe" the vbe extension is required

now every time we execute the file windows will refresh the RAM

>>NOTE:Works with Windows XP<<

more tips to come

CoolMac
01-19-2004, 10:30 PM
to make acces to http pages faster we do these:
Start<Run<type "regedit" (without quotes) and press accept
we look for these HKEY_CURRENT_USER&#092;Software&#092;Microsoft&#092;Windows&#092;CurrentVersion&#092;InternetSetting

Create of modify these DWORD values:
MaxConnectionsPerServer:write 4 (for adsl 20)

MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server :type 8 (20 for adsl)

close regedit and reboot windows

<<NOTE:Not tested yet&#33;&#33;>>

fkdup74
01-19-2004, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by CoolMac@19 January 2004 - 14:30
then maybe it shouldn&#39;t have been posted? :blink:

not flaming, or jumpin your ass or anything, but dont post it if you havent tried it,
or can at least link to the source and let people study up on it and makean educated decision on wether or not they wanna try it

someone not too familiar with the registry may try that and f*ck up their system

just a thought :)

CoolMac
01-19-2004, 10:39 PM
Faster hard drive

Start/Configuration/Control Panel/System

click Dispositives manager and click hard drive untis (or something like that)

click generic Disk and propierties

configuration and check DMA

CoolMac
01-19-2004, 10:43 PM
Not tested by ME, but plenty of people know this trick ;)

Faster acces to Programmes

Start/run/regedit and accept

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Session Manager/Memory Management

double click on DisablePagingExecutive
change value 0 to 1

CoolMac
01-19-2004, 10:49 PM
not a real tip but should help anyway

Right click Recycle Bin/Properties and adjust the size to whatever u want

Faster acces to hard drives:
Start/Right click on MyPC/properties

on the Hardware section Dispositives manager (or something like that)

right click on the hard drive/Properties

Advanced configuration and check DMA mode

CoolMac
01-19-2004, 10:53 PM
Automatic Shutdown:

Start/Configuration/Control Panel

right click on Energy Options click APM
check the option that says Allow compatibility with energy administration

i&#39;m sorry if i mistake some names cuz my Windows is in spanish :rolleyes:

DWk
01-19-2004, 11:06 PM
Cool tips.... where you getting them from? :P :rolleyes:

CoolMac
01-19-2004, 11:28 PM
Source: www.trucoswindows.com

:o IN SPANISH :o

:lol: :lol:

DWk
01-19-2004, 11:30 PM
Muy bien&#33; :o :D B)

CoolMac
01-19-2004, 11:34 PM
lol Alguien mas que habla espaņol :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:D :D :rolleyes: :ph34r:
:music1:

shn
01-20-2004, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by FKDUP74+19 January 2004 - 16:35--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (FKDUP74 @ 19 January 2004 - 16:35)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-CoolMac@19 January 2004 - 14:30
then maybe it shouldn&#39;t have been posted? :blink:

not flaming, or jumpin your ass or anything, but dont post it if you havent tried it,
or can at least link to the source and let people study up on it and makean educated decision on wether or not they wanna try it

someone not too familiar with the registry may try that and f*ck up their system

just a thought :) [/b][/quote]
I agree. Especially since some deal with the registry.

CoolMac
01-20-2004, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by CoolMac@19 January 2004 - 22:43
Not tested by ME, but plenty of people know this trick ;)

lot&#39;s of people do use this trick and they seem not to have any problem
i haven&#39;t tested it myself but the website were this trick was is secure

CoolMac
01-20-2004, 12:46 PM
take out the arrow on shortcuts

Start/Run/type Regedit/accept

on these:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT&#092;lnkfile&#092;IsShortCut

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT&#092;piffile&#092;IsShortCut

you must delete IsShortCut

CoolMac
01-20-2004, 12:50 PM
Close Windows XP faster:

Start/Run/type regedit/accept

Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Control Panel/Desktop

Localize WaitToKillAppTimeout and click on it,change 20.000 for 4.000

Now go to:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Control

Localize WaitToKillAppTimeout and click on it,change 20.000 for 4.000

close the editor and windows will take less to close programs

Mercy
01-20-2004, 01:47 PM
thanks .. very nice tips .. spanish boy :D

but last one .. there is a WaitToKillServiceTimeout not WaitToKillAppTimeout so would u mind double checking plz? :)

CoolMac
01-20-2004, 02:14 PM
wich windows are u using?

let me check the site

yes tip for windows XP

if u need tips for a special windows ask me here

CoolMac
01-20-2004, 02:16 PM
turn off your system with a click on a desktop icon

Riht click on desktop and new/shortcut then write on the command line

shutdown.exe -s -t 8

and every time u click on that icon your system will whutdown

for restarting windows

Riht click on desktop and new/shortcut then write on the command line

C&#58;&#092;windows&#092;rundll.exe user.exe,exitwindowsexec

U won&#39;t get any advice telling u anything

your system will just shutdown or restart&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

CoolMac
01-20-2004, 02:22 PM
Get rid of messenger:
Yes that&#39;s it get rid of the fuck*** windows messenger&#33;&#33;

>>Note:It will delte msn messenger but u can install it after and don&#39;t be buddered anymore by windows messenger<<

Start/Run/type "RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%&#092;INF&#092;msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove" (without the quotes) and click accept

CoolMac
01-20-2004, 02:27 PM
The spy that came from Microsoft:
Microsoft has given Windows 98 and Windows 98 SE a ActiveX control that allows them to read the HWID (hardware id) and MSID (microsoft id) and watch you while you surf microsoft websites.

To get rid of this:
Start/Run/tpye "regsvr32.exe -u c:&#092;windows&#092;system&#092;regwizc.dll" (without the quotes) that will get rid of the spy

To reactivate the spy:
Start/Run/type "regsvr32.exe -c c:&#092;windows&#092;system&#092;regwizc.dll" (without the quotes)

CoolMac
01-20-2004, 02:39 PM
free memory that works with windows 98 and 98SE:

open notepad and write

FreeMem = Space&#40;24000000&#41;

Save the file by the name (for example) freememory.vbe (vbe extension is REQUIRED

that will free 24 MB of RAM

>>Note:U cannot free all the memory,if u try this this error

Category&#58; Microsoft VBScript runtime error
Description&#58; Out of string space&#58; &#39;Space&#39;

CoolMac
01-20-2004, 09:37 PM
Disable Windows XP Firewall

Start/Control Panel/Network Connections
Select your conection then right click and properties click on advanced

then uncheck "Protect my pc and my network limitating or (don&#39;t know exactly the word) the acces to it from Internet

Tormentor
01-20-2004, 09:45 PM
I like the first one you posted, it works awsome.

h1
01-20-2004, 10:27 PM
There is an excellent program called X-Setup that can do many of these things. I believe the site is www.xteq.com.

D!mensio_x
01-22-2004, 10:01 PM
These sound like some great tips, but I have one question. I tried making the desktop icon to shutdown the computer, but I can&#39;t figure out what you mean by "access to". Could you please tell me what you mean by this?

Greetz D&#33;mensio_x.

CoolMac
01-22-2004, 10:59 PM
right click on a desktop icon and create acces to i believe

cuz my pc is in spanish B)

D!mensio_x
01-23-2004, 12:46 AM
Do you mean: "right click on the desktop --&#62; new --&#62; shortcut" perhaps???????

CoolMac
01-23-2004, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by D&#33;mensio_x@23 January 2004 - 00:46
Do you mean: "right click on the desktop --&#62; new --&#62; shortcut" perhaps???????
right thanx instead of acces to the name is shortcut

D!mensio_x
01-23-2004, 10:28 AM
Ok, then I will try to make the shortcuts again later when I come home.

Greetz, D&#33;mensio_x.

CoolMac
01-23-2004, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by D&#33;mensio_x@23 January 2004 - 10:28
Ok, then I will try to make the shortcuts again later when I come home.

Greetz, D&#33;mensio_x.
ok

D!mensio_x
01-24-2004, 10:17 PM
Right click on desktop and new/shortcut then write on the command line

CODE&nbsp;
shutdown.exe -s -t 8

for restarting windows

CODE&nbsp;
C:&#092;windows&#092;rundll.exe user.exe,exitwindowsexec

For which Windows version are these, because I&#39;m using Windows ME and they don&#39;t work for me. When I try to make the shutdown shortcut I get the errormessage "can&#39;t find shutdown.exe". I tried to find it manually but I can&#39;t find it either.

Making the restart shortcut works, however when I doubleclick on the shortcut, nothing happens. So what&#39;s wrong here???

Greetz, D&#33;mensio_x.

CoolMac
01-25-2004, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by D&#33;mensio_x@24 January 2004 - 22:17

CODE
shutdown.exe -s -t 8

for restarting windows

CODE
C:&#092;windows&#092;rundll.exe user.exe,exitwindowsexec

For which Windows version are these, because I&#39;m using Windows ME and they don&#39;t work for me. When I try to make the shutdown shortcut I get the errormessage "can&#39;t find shutdown.exe". I tried to find it manually but I can&#39;t find it either.

Making the restart shortcut works, however when I doubleclick on the shortcut, nothing happens. So what&#39;s wrong here???

Greetz, D&#33;mensio_x.
sorry these tips are for windows 98 and XP

however some of&#39;em may work for windows me

Xero Grid
01-25-2004, 03:03 AM
Windows ME&#33;?&#33;? :blink:

Boy, that&#39;s a disaster waiting to happen. If your hardware can support ME, then go with 2000, or even XP, if you trim down the services and some of the other crap it has.

-- Xero Grid --

CoolMac
01-25-2004, 04:54 AM
i agree ;)
windows me is real crap

D!mensio_x
01-25-2004, 10:53 AM
I do not agree with that. Windows ME works great on both my computers and it hardly ever gives me any problems. I can&#39;t speak for windows 2000, but I&#39;ve encountered Windows XP a few times now and it is really a piece of crap. I don&#39;t like it at all.

shn
01-25-2004, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by D&#33;mensio_x@25 January 2004 - 04:53
I do not agree with that. Windows ME works great on both my computers and it hardly ever gives me any problems. I can&#39;t speak for windows 2000, but I&#39;ve encountered Windows XP a few times now and it is really a piece of crap. I don&#39;t like it at all.
disable all visual themes in xp and use the windows classic and you have a more enhanced version of windows 2000. B)

Xero Grid
01-25-2004, 07:22 PM
Well, I like xp because it&#39;s basically the best of ME and 2000 with some extra features, but it has a lot of crap installled by default, like too many services in the backround (easily shut off).

When you take all the garbage off, it&#39;s actually worth trying. lol
Well, 2000 is deinfately worth a try. The file system alone is much better. NTFS is superior to the FAT32 filesystem.

I would say that 2000 is the most stable in my experience, but xp is really cool if you know what you&#39;re doing. I&#39;m not saying you need to switch. Just sayin it&#39;s worth it to check it out. I can&#39;t even begin the trouble ME caused me. lol

-- Xero Grid --

Smurfette
01-26-2004, 06:03 AM
Jesus, lookie here... we got us some more bullshitters.

I&#39;ve only been using PCs since Win95 was issued, but every release has been more stable than the previous.
That&#39;s not just MHO, it&#39;s my considered opinion, based on the number of people I&#39;ve known using Windows based PCs.

ME comes in for a lot of stick from people in here for no real reason - I&#39;ve used it on most of my configurations and hardly saw a BSOD. Compared to Windows 95 (a & b ), 98 & 98SE it was a huge improvement. Have none of you seen the video of Bill Gates presenting Win98 and it bluescreen-ing?
I upgraded my daughters&#39; computer yesterday. It was based on a sis-chipset integrated board with a Cyrix MII-300 - I would&#39;ve used a Gigabyte GA5-AX with K6-II/350 if the case I had was big enough - and WinME. I got meself a new case so then had one to use for the K6-II stuff, an STB Velocity and an SBpci128... I put it together, turned it on and watched as ME found the hardware, recognised it all and installed the right drivers in 5 minutes, without a hitch, and with only one restart. With 98 I would&#39;ve been renaming VMM32.VXD and re-installing OTT just to avoid hassle... and I&#39;d have to restart the machine twice during the install&#33;

All this crap that XP xomes in for... what&#39;s the matter with it? Why is everyone banging on about using ProCorp for the wrong reasons... we&#39;re talking about home users here. People that haven&#39;t a clue about permissions, don&#39;t need the extra bells, probably won&#39;t ever use the whistles and likely have all users set as admins anyway. If someone has a got a new system and a legit copy of XPHome, there&#39;s no need for them to download Pro (oh, make sure they get the Corp version, eh?) when they&#39;ll actually get support for what they already have.

</rant>

shn
01-26-2004, 06:32 AM
Originally posted by Smurfette@26 January 2004 - 00:03
Jesus, lookie here... we got us some more bullshitters.

I&#39;ve only been using PCs since Win95 was issued, but every release has been more stable than the previous.
That&#39;s not just MHO, it&#39;s my considered opinion, based on the number of people I&#39;ve known using Windows based PCs.

ME comes in for a lot of stick from people in here for no real reason - I&#39;ve used it on most of my configurations and hardly saw a BSOD. Compared to Windows 95 (a & b ), 98 & 98SE it was a huge improvement. Have none of you seen the video of Bill Gates presenting Win98 and it bluescreen-ing?
I upgraded my daughters&#39; computer yesterday. It was based on a sis-chipset integrated board with a Cyrix MII-300 - I would&#39;ve used a Gigabyte GA5-AX with K6-II/350 if the case I had was big enough - and WinME. I got meself a new case so then had one to use for the K6-II stuff, an STB Velocity and an SBpci128... I put it together, turned it on and watched as ME found the hardware, recognised it all and installed the right drivers in 5 minutes, without a hitch, and with only one restart. With 98 I would&#39;ve been renaming VMM32.VXD and re-installing OTT just to avoid hassle... and I&#39;d have to restart the machine twice during the install&#33;

All this crap that XP xomes in for... what&#39;s the matter with it? Why is everyone banging on about using ProCorp for the wrong reasons... we&#39;re talking about home users here. People that haven&#39;t a clue about permissions, don&#39;t need the extra bells, probably won&#39;t ever use the whistles and likely have all users set as admins anyway. If someone has a got a new system and a legit copy of XPHome, there&#39;s no need for them to download Pro (oh, make sure they get the Corp version, eh?) when they&#39;ll actually get support for what they already have.

</rant>
I may use my boxes at home but that does not make me a home user. I like to be in full control no matter where Im using my pc or what Im using it for.

And if you dont have a clue about the features of the o.s. your using and what the differences are as opposed to using a system designed for illiterate home users and one designed for professionals like my self then its your own fault.

Xp home sucks. It was designed for cheap computers thats why its cheaper than xp pro because it "lacks features". Get it? the word lacks explains it all.

That means I have features you dont http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/w/super.gif because your either to lazy to download and install a better version for yourself or you just dont have a damn clue.

Lol, you cant even encrypt your files unless you do it with some memory hogging third party app. :lol:

uNz[i]
01-26-2004, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by CoolMac@20 January 2004 - 23:46
turn off your system with a click on a desktop icon

Riht click on desktop and new/shortcut&nbsp; then write on the command line

shutdown.exe -s -t 8

for restarting windows

Riht click on desktop and new/shortcut&nbsp; then write on the command line

C&#58;&#092;windows&#092;rundll.exe user.exe,exitwindowsexec

U won&#39;t get any advice telling u anything

your system will just shutdown or restart&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;
The restart shortcut you posted is for Win9X (Win95, 98 & ME) systems only.
Rundll.exe doesn&#39;t exist on XP.

To make a restart shortcut for XP, use this string instead:

SHUTDOWN.exe -r -t 03

This will restart your PC after a 3 second delay. ( Tested by ME :P )
Edit the last 2 digits to change the time, starting with 00 for instant reboot..
If the -t XX switch is ommited from the string, the shortcut defaults to a 20 second delay.

AND ensure you&#39;ve set your PC to "Shutdown" in Control Panel>Power Options>Advanced Tab>When I press the power button on my computer.

skelley521
01-26-2004, 11:15 AM
Nothing personal, but alot of information can be lost in translation.
Best to get it from the horses mouth.......

dougknox tips (http://www.dougknox.com/xp/xp_tips.html)

dougknox fixes (http://www.dougknox.com/xp/xp_fixes.html)

kellys-korner-xp (http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp.htm)

Axcel216 (http://www.mdgx.com/)

Eshelman (http://www.aumha.org/)

Just to name a few. There are several more ;)

Steve

Smurfette
01-27-2004, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by shn@26 January 2004 - 06:32
I may use my boxes at home but that does not make me a home user.&nbsp; I like to be in full control no matter where Im using my pc or what Im using it for.

And if you dont have a clue about the features of the o.s. your using and what the differences are as opposed to using a system designed for illiterate home users and one designed for professionals like my self then its your own fault.You seem to misunderstand; I was bemoanig the times I&#39;ve seen people proposing Pro to others when Home would be perfectly adequate.

Xp home sucks.&nbsp; It was designed for cheap computers thats why its cheaper than xp pro because it "lacks features".&nbsp; Get it?&nbsp; the word lacks explains it all. WTF are you talking about? It sucks? What you mean is that it doesn&#39;t offer you the features that you want, whereas Pro does.
For a long time M&#036; have produced two separate OSes for different markets but in recent years they&#39;ve been working to bring the two together. With XP, they&#39;ve effectively achieved this, while also managing to cater for both markets; if the majority of home users aren&#39;t going to need or use the &#39;extras&#39; then they can buy the cheaper version.
Isn&#39;t it a laugh that there are so many people also wanting XP-Lite?
We are living in a world where words like pro and performance seem to influence people into buying a product, just by being tagged onto the name... we&#39;ve now got a Professional chewing gum here in the UK, for fuxake&#33;

That means I have features you dont http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/w/super.gif because your either to lazy to download and install a better version for yourself or you just dont have a damn clue.You&#39;ve got the same features as I have, only I don&#39;t use them all. XPPro is the best OS for our family because some of the features it has are useful for me.
Now, about being too lazy to download it... oh never mind, that&#39;d just sound like point-scoring shit and we&#39;re not here for that&#33; :)

Lol, you cant even encrypt your files unless you do it with some memory hogging third party app. :lol:We only need the features we&#39;ll use, so why does every man-Jack in here suggest going &#39;ProCorp&#39; when someone asks about XP?

skelley521
01-28-2004, 12:16 AM
Windows XP Comparison Guide (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/choosing2.asp)

WinBeta did make an XP Home Corp.....lol
It&#39;s on the XP 5in1 CD.

CoolMac
01-31-2004, 06:38 PM
thanx 4 help on updates :D