PDA

View Full Version : A Question Cont

Flametongue
01-18-2004, 08:14 PM
Everytime i connect my keyboard to my tower it makes a strange noise and everything on the screen freezes. What do u think could be the problem?

kazaa2002
01-18-2004, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Flametongue@18 January 2004 - 20:14
Everytime i connect my keyboard to my tower it makes a strange noise and everything on the screen freezes. What do u think could be the problem?
Flame, could you give us a bit more info

is this at boot up?
does this occur...connecting/disconnecting with pc on
how old is system, what os
what is on the screen...is it only one program?, etc.

really anything you could provide would assist forum members
in giving you some ideas as what to do or where you could go for help. :rolleyes:

Flametongue
01-18-2004, 09:01 PM
Well when it was booting up the noise started so i had to use another keyboard. Also i tried to connect it when i was at my desktop but still it makes the noise. It occurs when connecting with pc. System is 3 months old and it is Windows XP. Nothing is on the screen. its just the background.

tesco
01-18-2004, 09:16 PM
is it a usb keyboard? when u plug in a USB device it makes a noise that tells u windows found the hardware. And unplugging it also makes the noise, but it stops after like a second. Does your noise stop?

Flametongue
01-18-2004, 09:19 PM
The noise doesn't stop. it doesn't tell me that it found a new device cos everything freezes on the screen.

tesco
01-18-2004, 09:28 PM
so is it USB, ps\2 or serial? And what kind is the working keyboard that u are typing with right now?

Flametongue
01-18-2004, 09:33 PM
USB the slot next to the mouse slot the keyboard that i am currently using is a normal one with hot keys.

tesco
01-18-2004, 09:40 PM
ok right clikc my computer, then go to manage, then click device manager on teh left and see if anything has a ! or ? beside it, particarily USB controllers. You can also try to find an updated driver for your USB ports. Most likely find it on your motherboard manufacturers website.

Flametongue
01-18-2004, 09:43 PM
there isn't any ! or ? do i have to connect the keyboard that makes the noise and then right click on my computer or use the current one?

tesco
01-18-2004, 09:46 PM
umm well it freezes when u hook up the keyboard right, so wouldnt be able to check anyway. But this was just to see if anything was wrong with the usb ports. Do u have any other usb devices that u can test it with?

Flametongue
01-18-2004, 09:49 PM
nope

tesco
01-18-2004, 09:53 PM
my only idea is to go to www.windowsupdate.com]windows (http://http:\\[url) update[/url] and update everything then restart and once its all installed try plugging it in again... if u already have all of the updates then i have no idea what could be wrong except a faulty keybaord or usb port.

Flametongue
01-18-2004, 09:55 PM
ok thanks for your help

clocker
01-18-2004, 09:58 PM
What happens if you plug in the USB device when the PC is off and then you turn it on?

Virtualbody1234
01-18-2004, 10:31 PM
Could you describe the noise?

kazaa2002
01-18-2004, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by Flametongue@18 January 2004 - 21:01
Well when it was booting up the noise started so i had to use another keyboard. Also i tried to connect it when i was at my desktop but still it makes the noise. It occurs when connecting with pc. System is 3 months old and it is Windows XP. Nothing is on the screen. its just the background.
Flame, when did this noise start? have you had this problem since you
got it?
did you add a program or a software device? :rolleyes:

is it a multimedia keyboard? if so can you give us a brand name.

we are trying to figure out if it is hardware,a device prob,software or operator.

Evil Gemini
01-19-2004, 01:34 PM
Sounds like you have been hot swapping one to many USB devices and screwed the drivers up.

Im not sure if that is possible though.

But it does sound like some sort of driver conflict.

lynx
01-19-2004, 02:28 PM
Have you got USB Legacy support enabled in the bios? This is necessary for USB keyboard and mouse, so there's a possibility this may be the cause if it isn't enabled.

Flametongue
01-19-2004, 08:09 PM
I am not sure how to describe the noise but it happened when i disconnected my keyboard to take the pc downstairs. once i connected it it started making the noise. It was making the noise as i was booting up and i think it said something about system 32 file or something like that. After that i took that out and plugged in my other keyboard. The make is Advent. I have updated everything form windows update but still nothing makes a difference.

lynx
01-19-2004, 08:46 PM
Is the noise coming from the system speaker, or is it possibly some sort of rubbing sound? I'm wondering about the possibility that something has come loose when you moved your pc, and that when you plug in your usb keyboard a cable is rubbing against the cpu fan. If this then makes your processor overheat it could freeze, depending on model.

If that's the situation, remove the side panel and check where the cables run.

Flametongue
01-19-2004, 10:41 PM
I think i may have found the problem. The end bit of the keyboard that goes into the tower, that purple bit, inside there are little bits of wire or something like that. Well i looked at it and they are all bent. Could this be the problem? Is there anyway of fixing this or do i have to go and get a replacement (I have Warranty by the way).

Duffman
01-19-2004, 10:45 PM
well yeah of course thats the problem, just take a pair treezers and staighten them out.

lynx
01-20-2004, 03:18 AM
Hmmm, you told us the problem was when you plugged in the usb keyboard, not the ps2 one. <_<