What a stupid woman

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/shropshire/3412123.stm

<TROUBLE^MAKER>
01-20-2004, 07:02 PM
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39761000/jpg/_39761465_marson203.jpg

Dumb Bitch

hobbes
01-20-2004, 07:37 PM
http://cache.eonline.com/Gossip/Fashion/Images2002/osbourne.042902.jpghttp://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39761000/jpg/_39761465_marson203.jpg

Looks like Kelly Osbourne has landed herself in some trouble. She is going to grounded for sure once dad finds out.

I guess the signs right there at the checkpoints that tell people not to joke with the security people were too vague, eh.

Those warning signs have been there since before I can remember, you&#39;d think she had never been to an airport before.

Biggles
01-20-2004, 07:45 PM
We tend to have a very bizarre sense of humour in the UK. It is unlikely that little more than a check of the suspect bag and a ticking off would have taken place over here. There most certainly would not be a question of a custodial sentence for what was simply a poor joke. (although it might have been funny-sometimes you "have to be there")

We used to be warned as UK nationals visiting places like the Soviet Union or China etc., to put a lid on offhand comments such as these because other nations did not share our somewhat ironic take on life. Looks like we need to reinforce that message once again and broaden its geographical scope a bit too.

I think she might be flying home soon though.

k-liteuserintheworld
01-20-2004, 07:57 PM
:lol: stupid americans always take things too seriously

<TROUBLE^MAKER>
01-20-2004, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by Biggles@20 January 2004 - 14:45
We tend to have a very bizarre sense of humour in the UK. It is unlikely that little more than a check of the suspect bag and a ticking off would have taken place over here. There most certainly would not be a question of a custodial sentence for what was simply a poor joke. (although it might have been funny-sometimes you "have to be there")

We used to be warned as UK nationals visiting places like the Soviet Union or China etc., to put a lid on offhand comments such as these because other nations did not share our somewhat ironic take on life. Looks like we need to reinforce that message once again and broaden its geographical scope a bit too.

I would expect she would know better after Lockerbie and numerous IRA shenanigans.

hobbes
01-20-2004, 08:00 PM
Biggles,

There are big signs right there telling you not to joke with these people. Did she think she was original?

She had to be arrested for essentially "disturbing the peace". How would the security people know that she was just a silly girl and not acting as a distraction to allow others to sneak something through.

If we play favorites with her, just because she is an innocent little British girl, it would be considered "profiling".

I think a hefty fine and a few spankings will see her on her way home, with a lesson learned and a message sent.

Biggles
01-20-2004, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by hobbes@20 January 2004 - 20:00

I think a hefty fine and a few spankings will see her on her way home, with a lesson learned and a message sent.

I take you made a citizen&#39;s arrest and execution of sentence here. :D

She was perhaps a little ill-advised in her comments. I think even with signs etc., we still get taken by surprise by how seriously people treat "asides". No doubt this will serve as a reminder for us to bite our tongues.

lynx
01-20-2004, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Biggles@20 January 2004 - 18:45

Biggles, you couldn&#39;t be more wrong.

People have tried the same stupid "jokes" at UK airports, and have ended up in court because of them. These strict restrictions have been in force at UK airports for several years, the US is only just catching up in this respect.

Biggles
01-20-2004, 09:12 PM
Really?

I have no recollection of these cases.

I travel regularly and have always found the security staff vigilant but human.

vidcc
01-20-2004, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Biggles@20 January 2004 - 21:12
Really?

I have no recollection of these cases.

I travel regularly and have always found the security staff vigilant but human.
yes really, the action taken is a discretional thing admittedly but jokes of this nature are considered as something that has to be taken seriously.
I worked in aviation for BA for many years so it&#39;s something i can assure you is fact.

I do appreciate the whole insanity that appears to be the young girls possible future...i mean in England murderers can get a lesser sentence.
However.......................
If a man walks into a shop with his hands in his pocket and he points his finger to make it look like a gun do you think the shop assistant should question him? and do you think that man should not be prosecuted because he was just joking about having a gun?

personally i hope she gets off with a warning and hopes she learns her lesson well but i can&#39;t condem the action taken

Biggles
01-20-2004, 09:33 PM
As I said, I have no recollection of any such court cases. I will investigate to see if I can track down the last one. In the meantime I will be more circumspect with the staff at Glasgow Airport.

Rat Faced
01-20-2004, 10:27 PM
She had been in the US for three months with her American boyfriend and was returning to the UK to renew her visa.

Not much chance of that happening now....

muchspl2
01-20-2004, 10:34 PM
http://www.actustar.com/photos/stillerben1.jpg

bomb bomb bomb, bomb bomb ba bomb

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
01-20-2004, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by muchspl2@20 January 2004 - 17:34
http://www.actustar.com/photos/stillerben1.jpg

bomb bomb bomb, bomb bomb ba bomb
:lol:

ilw
01-20-2004, 11:54 PM
While i&#39;ve personally never heard of jail time for people who speak unwisely in airports in the UK, I do remember seeing that quite a few people have been stopped from boarding a plane simply for mentioning certain words within earshot of staff, eg terrorist, bomb etc. Whatever happened to freedom of speech :rolleyes:

http://www.dilbert.com/comics/dilbert/archive/images/dilbert20365983040120.gif

Evil Gemini
01-21-2004, 12:34 AM

I vote this bitch, for the dumb f*ck of the month awards&#33;

lynx
01-21-2004, 02:56 AM
Originally posted by Evil Gemini@20 January 2004 - 23:34

I vote this bitch, for the dumb f*ck of the month awards&#33;
If it wasn&#39;t for the nationality issue, she could have had a good chance for the Democrat nomination. In fact, Florida would probably have made special provisions. :rolleyes:

Alex H
01-21-2004, 04:36 AM
From the BBC site:

"If it was a joke, it wasn&#39;t a very good joke...it&#39;s a violation of our state law."

Important Note: When visiting the United States of America DO NOT attempt to joke with airport security, coast guards, immigration officials, FBI agents, local police, state police, federal police, the CIA, NSA or any other type of official. They have no sense of humour.

4th gen
01-21-2004, 04:42 AM
Originally posted by Alex H@21 January 2004 - 03:36
From the BBC site:

"If it was a joke, it wasn&#39;t a very good joke...it&#39;s a violation of our state law."

Important Note: When visiting the United States of America DO NOT attempt to joke with airport security, coast guards, immigration officials, FBI agents, local police, state police, federal police, the CIA, NSA or any other type of official. They have no sense of humour.
and they carry guns :)

hobbes
01-21-2004, 04:55 AM
Originally posted by Alex H@21 January 2004 - 05:36
From the BBC site:

Important Note: When visiting the United States of America DO NOT attempt to joke with airport security.
Yeah, that is what the sign at the checkpoint says. That is not related to 9/11, that sign has been there forever.

Can you imagine what it would be like to deal with every cornholer who thinks his bomb threat is funny. Stupid girl now understands that a fool is counted amongst the wise if she is silent.

We Americans have been politely biting our tongues all this time.

Evil Gemini
01-21-2004, 05:38 AM
Originally posted by ilw@21 January 2004 - 00:54
While i&#39;ve personally never heard of jail time for people who speak unwisely in airports in the UK, I do remember seeing that quite a few people have been stopped from boarding a plane simply for mentioning certain words within earshot of staff, eg terrorist, bomb etc. Whatever happened to freedom of speech :rolleyes:

http://www.dilbert.com/comics/dilbert/archive/images/dilbert20365983040120.gif
LMAO&#33;&#33; @ the comic :D

<TROUBLE^MAKER>
01-21-2004, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by Biggles@20 January 2004 - 14:45

Here&#39;s how serious they take it, 80 year old WW2 veteran.

We move now to the Bradley International Airport in Connecticut. Here we have an 80-year-old World War II veteran trying to get through security. Fred Hubbell is tired and cranky, as an 80-year-old has a right to be. He&#39;s already had his luggage searched. They&#39;ve patted him down, several times. He has had his shoes off. Now they&#39;re going through his wallet.

He looks at the so-called security screener and asks, "What do you expect to find in there, a rifle?" Bingo&#33; Handcuffs&#33; The next thing you know, Fred is in those handcuffs being hauled through the terminal by police officers on his way to a holding cell. He&#39;s fingerprinted, his mug shot is taken, he is given his Miranda rights and told he can have one phone call to contact his lawyer.

He ends up being fined for "creating a public disturbance." Hubbell didn&#39;t create the disturbance.

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2.../6/192653.shtml (http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2002/8/6/192653.shtml)

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
01-22-2004, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by <TROUBLE^MAKER>+21 January 2004 - 16:51--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (<TROUBLE^MAKER> @ 21 January 2004 - 16:51)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Biggles@20 January 2004 - 14:45

Here&#39;s how serious they take it, 80 year old WW2 veteran.

We move now to the Bradley International Airport in Connecticut. Here we have an 80-year-old World War II veteran trying to get through security. Fred Hubbell is tired and cranky, as an 80-year-old has a right to be. He&#39;s already had his luggage searched. They&#39;ve patted him down, several times. He has had his shoes off. Now they&#39;re going through his wallet.

He looks at the so-called security screener and asks, "What do you expect to find in there, a rifle?" Bingo&#33; Handcuffs&#33; The next thing you know, Fred is in those handcuffs being hauled through the terminal by police officers on his way to a holding cell. He&#39;s fingerprinted, his mug shot is taken, he is given his Miranda rights and told he can have one phone call to contact his lawyer.

He ends up being fined for "creating a public disturbance." Hubbell didn&#39;t create the disturbance.

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2.../6/192653.shtml (http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2002/8/6/192653.shtml) [/b][/quote]
:01: Respect my authority old man&#33; :01:

These People get what they deserve.The Airport is not a Place to Play Games anymore.We have steped it up and I am proud to get rid of these Hoodlums. :D

Alex H
01-22-2004, 04:51 AM
Nice site trouble maker. This one is my favourite:

a 40-year-old woman from Holland was made to disrobe from the waist up after she set off the alarm. This woman had undergone a double mastectomy. Her implants contained metal staples. :angry:

I wonder what the American authorities think they are doing? They are looking at 9/11 wrong. The attack wasn&#39;t about planes. It was about doing something nobody had ever done. That&#39;s why it was a surprise. The next attack might be hi-jacking a submarine and blowing it up near a tunnel highway and drowning everyone. That would be a good idea, cause everone is looking at planes and no-one is looking at subs.

If somebody is really intent on hurting you, they&#39;re going to hurt you and even the imposition of 24 hour lockdown on the citizenry is not going to help.

I wonder if it would be easier to just turn up at the airport naked with no luggage. Or would you be arrested for "creating a public disturbance?"

dwightfry
01-22-2004, 03:54 PM
I had a friend who said "good, they didn&#39;t detect the bomb" to another friend after getting through secuirty. They said cops surrounded them within seconds. They got a good talking too, but the cops let them go because they were on a school trip.

<TROUBLE^MAKER>
01-22-2004, 05:17 PM
This one guy was boarding the plane looked towards the open cock pit door and saw he knew the pilot and said "high Jack &#33;&#33;"http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/ups/DeNiro/peace.gif and the radio was on so the tower heard it and you know what happened next.

Gemby!
01-22-2004, 09:38 PM
great to see america after sept. 11 they have gone up in the world with there security ...they ask people if they have a bomb and hope they will be nice enough to own up to it. <_<

how realistic .... <_<

and wasnt it america who allowed a man carrying bullets in his pocket pass there security and come over to the uk, where he was caught .

america takes things too seriously when someone is having a joke and the real stuff gets missed , they should sort it out

hobbes
01-23-2004, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by gemby&#33;@22 January 2004 - 22:38
great to see america after sept. 11 they have gone up in the world with there security ...they ask people if they have a bomb and hope they will be nice enough to own up to it. <_<

how realistic .... <_<

and wasnt it america who allowed a man carrying bullets in his pocket pass there security and come over to the uk, where he was caught .

america takes things too seriously when someone is having a joke and the real stuff gets missed , they should sort it out
@Gemby

1. No one is asked if they are carrying a bomb. There is a sign at the check point that instructs people that jokes will be taken seriously, please do not joke with the security personel.
2. This is not new since 9/11. These signs have ALWAYS been there. These comments have always been taken seriously.
3. Yes, it was America. Someone missed them during the scan at Dulles. That is human error, not a problem with the system. Fortunately they were caught the second time. Perhaps we should set up two check points instead of 1, or maybe 3, just to be sure.
4. What real stuff has been missed? 5 bullets and a crazymans shoes since 9/11 is not bad.

@AlexH
So when a person sets off a metal detector and the hand held localizes the signal to the chest, what are we supposed to do? Oh, mastectomy, sure go on through. I can&#39;t even raise a brow that she was taken in a private room and it was confirmed that her bra did not contain metal objects.

Should we x-ray her to save her the embarrassment of disrobing? This is America man, all we do over here is sue each other. Women would start claiming that all the birth defects in their child are from airport x-rays or that their cancer was cause by airport x-rays. Don&#39;t get me started about our ambulance chasing attorneys.

I think things would be better if we didn&#39;t put minimally trained, minimally paid, minimally educated people there. I think some of these people have never had any authority in their lives and are just aching to make some sort of heroic act.

Confiscating a 2 inch plastic gun from a girl with a GI Joe doll supports my theory. Powertripping idiots, who are looking to harrass innocent travelers and provoke them into saying something like the tired old man with his rifle in the wallet comment.

Back to the story at hand, stating that you have a bomb in your suitcase to three separate people, who are not even talking to you or asking you, is just stupid. If they didn&#39;t crack down hard on this behavior, they would have to listen to the "original and funny people" do this all day long.

"I gots a bomb, hehe. No I don&#39;t, just kiddin&#39;, but I think my wife do, hehe, just kidding, I just a kidder thats all (slaps knee)".

Alex H
01-23-2004, 04:44 AM
I still have a problem when the guy on the ground telling me I have to strip off may be earning more than the guy who takes me 3km off the surface of the earth.

American Pilots Salaries (http://www.jet-jobs.com/press%20releases/airlinefacts.html)

hobbes
01-23-2004, 04:54 AM
Originally posted by Alex H@23 January 2004 - 05:44
I still have a problem when the guy on the ground telling me I have to strip off may be earning more than the guy who takes me 3km off the surface of the earth.

American Pilots Salaries (http://www.jet-jobs.com/press%20releases/airlinefacts.html)
What does that even have to do with the thread?

Those people on the ground are paid almost nothing compared to the pilot. Even so, how the hell does that even remotely bear on the subject?

<TROUBLE^MAKER>
01-23-2004, 05:34 AM
Originally posted by Alex H@22 January 2004 - 23:44

The dude that works security make &#036;8.00 hr, that chart refers to the mechanics who&#39;s job more important than the pilot. There&#39;s such a thing as auto pilot, but there&#39;s no such thing as automatic mechanic to fix a plane on the ground or in the air.

Although this really has no relevancy to the topic .

Biggles
01-23-2004, 10:25 AM
I have had a look to see if I could find any similar UK court cases but so far have been unsuccessful. That is not to say there are none. Perhaps someone more adept at google searches can have a go.

I did chat to a security guard though and his view is that it has gone over the top and will be counter-productive. They want public support not animosity. He did say his preferred method of dealing with jokers involved rubber gloves which he felt added to the humorous element of the incident greatly.

I think this whole story should have brought to us by the word....

Proportionality. :D

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
01-23-2004, 10:50 AM
;) Like Hobbes said "This is not new since 9/11. These signs have ALWAYS been there. These comments have always been taken seriously."

Go to the Bureau of Engraving & Printing in Washington, DC and talk about stealing some of the Money as a Joke and see what happens.

We went there back in the late 80s and they told us a story about a guy that tryed that.He was tackled by 3 Guards.

So this has nothing to do with 9/11.You do not Joke about things like that.

Pitbul
01-23-2004, 08:05 PM
but 9/11 has influnced us Americans to make sure to be extra carefull and i agree with hobbes and FC fully. :smilie4:

Wizard_Mon1
01-23-2004, 08:16 PM
Its true america has always taken national security very seriously. I remember hearing stories of people who filled in the american entrance forms on planes in a comical manner, they where dealt with really strictly and detaned for a few days while questioned.

vidcc
01-25-2004, 04:49 PM
this week in the UK (http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/allnews/content_objectid=13851889_method=full_siteid=50143_headline=-I%2DLL%2DSAY%2DIT%2D5%2DTIMES%2D%2DI%2DVE%2DGOT%2DA%2DBOMB-name_page.html)

Another example of stupid behaviour at airports, this time in Newcastle, England

Biggles
01-25-2004, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by vidcc@25 January 2004 - 16:49
this week in the UK (http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/allnews/content_objectid=13851889_method=full_siteid=50143_headline=-I%2DLL%2DSAY%2DIT%2D5%2DTIMES%2D%2DI%2DVE%2DGOT%2DA%2DBOMB-name_page.html)

Another example of stupid behaviour at airports, this time in Newcastle, England
Like Number 8 buses you wait for ages and they all come at once. :D

I heard about this yesterday on the news. It is slightly different to the US incident in that there was no joking involved. Apparently she had a total hissy fit and was extremely aggressive and threatening prior to offering to blow them all up. I don&#39;t think anyone believed for a moment she had a bomb but she was becoming a danger to anyone who was in bag swinging range.

I witnessed a similarly irate passenger a couple of months ago who had been bumped off his flight. He was not pleased and let everybody in the entire airport know it at length in extremely colourful language (he did stop short of threatening to blow us up though).

Alex H
01-27-2004, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by <TROUBLE^MAKER>+23 January 2004 - 05:34--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (<TROUBLE^MAKER> @ 23 January 2004 - 05:34)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Alex H@22 January 2004 - 23:44

The dude that works security make &#036;8.00 hr, that chart refers to the mechanics who&#39;s job more important than the pilot. There&#39;s such a thing as auto pilot, but there&#39;s no such thing as automatic mechanic to fix a plane on the ground or in the air.

Although this really has no relevancy to the topic . [/b][/quote]
I was just asking, do you really want to put your lives in the hands of security guards who apparently make &#036;8.00/hour. The G.I. Joe gun incident is a nice example of the inteligence levels of these people.

Personally, I want the guy who stops people bringing weapons onto my flight to be well paid and happy. Just like I want the plane driver to be able to afford better food than McDonalds.

Same for ground crew.