PDA

View Full Version : Damn! My Computer Works Only In Safe Mode

leonidas
01-20-2004, 11:47 PM
When I boot my computer normaly, only my background picture is displayed, I 've already tried everything... & nothing happened.

Then if I restart my computer hitting many times on the F8 button, I can boot on safe mode, but when I restart the computer again normaly, nothing is displayed, not even the background picture.

I've been repeating the above several times, and it came out like that all the time.

:helpsmile: :helpsmile: :helpsmile: :ghostface:

Thanks a lot in advance

Leonidas.

shn
01-20-2004, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by leonidas@20 January 2004 - 17:47
When I boot my computer normaly, only my background picture is displayed, I 've already tried everything... & nothing happened.

Then if I restart my computer hitting many times on the F8 button, I can boot on safe mode, but when I restart the computer again normaly, nothing is displayed, not even the background picture.

I've been repeating the above several times, and it came out like that all the time.

:helpsmile: :helpsmile: :helpsmile: :ghostface:

Thanks a lot in advance

Leonidas.
Boot normally and when only the background pic is displayed click ctrl + alt + del to bring up task manager and then got to file "new task (run) and then type in explorer.exe. and give it a little time to load. The shell should come up.

leonidas
01-21-2004, 12:41 AM
Thanks. But it doesn't work :(

Robert00000
01-21-2004, 01:07 AM
How and when did this prob start?

Java Boy
01-21-2004, 01:13 AM
1: Have you got a XP disc and do you know how to use the recovery console?

2: Have you recently used any gay program(StyleXP2,LogonUIBootrandomiser,BootXP2.5) to change your bootscreens,logons etc?

Robert00000
01-21-2004, 01:20 AM
Try using system restore its the best and quickest solution.

peat moss
01-21-2004, 03:05 AM
Originally posted by Robert00000@20 January 2004 - 17:20
Try using system restore its the best and quickest solution.
Sometimes that does't work. It may be hardware or driver issues.If you boot from cdrom . Then reinstall not format or clean install just install over. You'll keep your programs intack. You'll have to delete the xp goodies you don't what again but it works :rolleyes:

tesco
01-21-2004, 03:50 AM
just do a repair install (not the recovery console!) the setup will act like its reinstalling windows but it doesnt format the drive and u dont loose any files so its safe to do, although a backup is always best, then the problem should be gone.

BTW, doing this does make your windows updates go away but the you just have to instakll them again and you are good to go.

Java Boy
01-21-2004, 03:59 AM
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@21 January 2004 - 03:50
just do a repair install (not the recovery console!) the setup will act like its reinstalling windows but it doesnt format the drive and u dont loose any files so its safe to do, although a backup is always best, then the problem should be gone.

BTW, doing this does make your windows updates go away but the you just have to instakll them again and you are good to go.
Which is where the recovery console comes in...
You have no idea about how XP works? :lol: :lol: :lol:
If you can fix it with the recovery console you dont lose any updates (SP1)
Its definitely a case of the Blind leading the blind where your concerned.

tesco
01-21-2004, 04:03 AM
ive never tried the recovery cosole, i always just repair or format and reinstalll becuase it doesnt take much effort on my part and i have all of the updates on my hard drive...

peat moss
01-21-2004, 04:06 AM
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@20 January 2004 - 19:50

Duh repair install I couldn't remember the term. :P Ya good idea to reinstall critical updates. Norton ask' s to be reinstalled too. So watch out with antivirus and firwall software as well :)

peat moss
01-21-2004, 04:08 AM
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@20 January 2004 - 20:03
ive never tried the recovery cosole, i always just repair or format and reinstalll becuase it doesnt take much effort on my part and i have all of the updates on my hard drive...
No friend IT dos't always work with corrupt files or missing DLL 's

Rossco im sorry ment to quote Java BOY

Java Boy
01-21-2004, 05:36 AM
If you know nothing about working from the command line just say so..Its not un-cool to be computer illiterate.
I mentioned that as a option cause its a lot better than your "repair" installation idea which resets all your tweaks, Service Packs, everything.It may be very well that you have a copy off all your updates on yopur comp(So do I), but where does it say that the original question asker says he has all the updates and reinstalling is not an issue?.Thats why I bombed your silly idea..
Just go into recovery console..That takes around 3 mins to do that, compared with your 45 minute reinstall then another hour installing SP1 etc...(And it still takes that long even if your using a corporate version SP1 incorporated)
Anyway thats my reasoning on why your idea is stoopid. Why do something the hard way when you do it the easy way in less time, less hassle?? :lol:

Just remember dont be afraid to say you dont know how to work windows from a commandline B)

Java Boy
01-21-2004, 09:26 AM
Ok...heres what Ive found out so far with the original problem

Its probably "winlogon.exe" which isnt loading when you start windows...
which is why I asked in my original post if the guy who has the problem had changed his logon screen or boot screen cause both those programs are known to mess with winlogon.exe.
iF YOU WANT A EASY COMMAND LINE COMMAND TO REPLACE WINLOGON.EXE USING RECOVERY CONSOLE I WILL HELP YOU OR YOU CAN JUST DO A REINSTALL AND WASTE A BIT OF TIME CHANGING ALL YA SETTINGS BACVK TO HOW YOU LIKE THEM

Ps : sorry bout the caps

Any one want to test my theory then just get into msconfig and disable winlogon from starting up with windows and youll be in the same mess as the person who posted this problem or go into your windows folder in c:/windows/system32 and delete "winlogon.exe" and see if you have trouble logging on...its a lot easier to copy winlogon.exe off a winXP cd than it is to do a fucking reinstall...lol.Only hard part is if you dont know how to tell windows to copy the file from your cd drive to your root directory(c:/)
Its all back to the commandline

leonidas
01-21-2004, 12:54 PM
Sorry for my late reply. It was 1 pm and I had to sleep.

I indeed switch my 17' screen for a huge old second hand 21' Iiyama Vision Master 500.

This may be the problem, but it's strange because I 've got the same problem when I plug back my former 17' screen.

Since I've try to boot the computer with the option : "Enable VGA mode", and the computer finally booted well, but only with a 800*600 resolution or something, and with 8 bits colors.
Then each times I've tried (on both screens) wether to rise the colors quality to 16 bits or to increase the resolution to 1024*768, I get a black screen. :frusty:

tesco
01-21-2004, 02:09 PM
i think now after going to vga mode you have to reinstall your video card drivers.

and javaboy...il admit i dont know to much about using the command line. I do know commands for copying stuff off of the cd, but not in the recovery cosole as i dont know how it converts the files to exe's (on the disk it would be file.ex_). And using it would be kinda hard if you didnt know what file was missing or corrupt wouldnt it?

Java Boy
01-21-2004, 02:13 PM
@ROSSCO...it is a little hard to use at first(like anything i suppose)
but its easy enough to fix shit in there.theres a help guide in there for those not too experienced in that sort of thing

TheKiler
01-21-2004, 02:49 PM
Update those damn drivers.

leonidas
01-22-2004, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by TheKiler@21 January 2004 - 15:49
Update those damn drivers.
Thanks a lot that work. :)

I still can't restart the computer, but the rest is working.
I think it's because the monitor is an old one & so doesn't support rebooting.

Many thanks to all of you. B)