PDA

View Full Version : Memory..

mogadishu
01-21-2004, 05:19 AM
Im goign to try and install some memory on a friends computor. We found a computor that got thrown away and took it apart. If I put the ram in and turn on the computor, do i run the risk of it getting really screwed up or can u i just put the old memory in if the new doesnt work?

THanks mogadishu.

imported_pichan916
01-21-2004, 05:56 AM
you might wanna check to see if the memory is the right kind for that system or it might screw up your motherboard etc... give more information on the memory and the computer you gonna put it in. someone here bound to help you out.

firefox
01-21-2004, 06:04 AM
you gots to make sure it is compatable with your puter or you gonna be sorry. The are many different types of ram.

mogadishu
01-21-2004, 02:13 PM
i know its compatable, its pc100 512MB and his pc takes pc 133. I just wanted to know if its dead or something would it mess it up.

adamp2p
01-21-2004, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by mogadishu@21 January 2004 - 06:13
i know its compatable, its pc100 512MB and his pc takes pc 133. I just wanted to know if its dead or something would it mess it up.
Hey mogadishu! What's up?

I have not heard from you since you asked about putting together that AMD system of yours. How did it turn out? You never told us...

TheFilePirater
01-21-2004, 09:56 PM
yah mogadishu, it will work, it just will run the other sticks of mem at pc100 speeds

Mobas
01-21-2004, 10:44 PM
Funny that the people that threw out the computer didn't try to salvage the memory. Maybe they didn't know how to or maybe it just got fried. It would be a good idea to scan the memory for errors with some memory checking software once you have it installed. Bad memory could cause all kinds of problems. :unsure:

firefox
01-21-2004, 11:32 PM
check the system carefully for any evidance of electrical power surge. It might have gotten zapped and that could be why they tossed it out. If it got fried like that it could short circit your computer too.

mogadishu
01-22-2004, 01:04 AM
UPDATE: We tried to put it in and it started up fine but it had no video.. There were no beeping or other noises but no video. We put back in the old one and still no video. Unplugged everything and plugged it back in.. still nothing. You can tell that the computor starts up ok with either memory, but their is never any video. Everything is defenitely plugged in... I feel really bad because I'm afraid I messed up his computor. Anyone have any ideas what could be wrong. It's an old Compaq 5000 series with onboard audio and video.

Money Fist
01-22-2004, 01:31 AM
other thing you can try

clear the CMOS

try the RAM in diff slots

take out unessential PCI cards

i had a prob with a compaq 5000
i had to move PCI cards to diff slot for it too boot

also look out for the CD rom drive cable
if plugged wrong also causes no boot

like i said above about the RAM
i kept getting BSOD on one of my systems long ago
i swaped the RAM to diff slots after it worked fine

tesco
01-22-2004, 01:35 AM
since onboard video uses the system ram for its memory its most likely a ram problem here, but try clearing the cmos first to see if that fixes the problem.

Mobas
01-22-2004, 04:36 AM
Mogadishu, I sure hope that when you were messing around in your friends PC, you had some kind of static electricty protection. :blink:

http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,82184,00.asp