PDA

View Full Version : Speed Up Your Computer

Cruze
03-01-2003, 04:58 PM
Hi everyone.

Thx for the great advice and file sharing.

Heres a couple of hacks give your system better performance if theres any more interest i will post some more.

Don't have many games or movies so I want to give somthing back that may help a few.

If your not comfortable with your registry then please ignore.

Windows 95/98/ME users ONLY:
"Run Regedit and go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\BIOS

In the right hand pane create a new DWORD Value called "CPUPriority" (no quotes) -> double-click on it -> check the Decimal box -> type 1 -> click OK to save.
This will speed things up by using the fastest priority to the CPU when opening any program, and works on 99% of the PCs I've tried it on.
To reset to Windows 9x/ME default type 3 or delete this Value altogether.
To see your system's real time performance type 0 (NOT recommended by Microsoft!).
In some cases this Registry BIOS key is absent, because enabling the BIOS power management feature (APM) and the Win9x/ME ACPI BIOS extentions may disable it!
Make sure there is a Plug and Play BIOS item listed in Control Panel -> System -> Device Manager -> System devices.

Here are other DWORD Values (Decimal) you can use to tweak your CPU Priority even further (under the same Registry key above):

PCIConcur = 1 (enabled)
FastDRAM = 1 (enabled)
AGPConcur = 1 (enabled) [if your video controller is AGP based].
These settings speed up hardware specific operations by allowing installed devices to use extra CPU cycles: PCI, AGP and/or DRAM based I/O transfers from the motherboard interface/bus/bridge (PCI, AGP, DRAM) [-> to the motherboard chipset/bus/bridge where applicable] -> to the CPU, and the other way around."

MEANING:

"CPUPriority" DWORD valid Decimal values:

0 = The foreground (active) app/game is assigned exclusive CPU cycles (real time priority). WARNING: Use with caution!
1 = All open apps/games (foreground and background) benefit from a few more CPU cycles than loaded Win32 TSRs/DLLs/Runtimes/APIs.
2 = All open apps/games (foreground and background) benefit from even more CPU cycles than loaded Win32 TSRs/DLLs/Runtimes/APIs.
3 = All apps/games/TSRs/DLLs/Runtimes/APIs share same CPU cycles (default, same as "CPUPriority" absent from Registry).

This Registry hack applies to all Windows 2000 and XP releases only.

"When you connect to a web site, your computer is sent DNS -> IP resolver data from your DNS (Domain Naming System) server. This data is stored in a local data cache on your machine so that when you go to a web site more than once, your machine doesn't have to ask for that location every time. Although Win2000 and XP have a pretty efficient DNS cache, you may want to increase its overall performance by increasing its size. To do this, run Regedit and go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Dnscache\Parameters

Modify/create these DWORD [REG_DWORD] values: "CacheHashTableBucketSize", "CacheHashTableSize", "MaxCacheEntryTtlLimit" and "MaxSOACacheEntryTtlLimit".
The Decimal values that seem to work well are (consecutively): 384, 64000, 301 and 300. There are other parameters within this key, but unless you fully understand how the TCP/IP and DNS systems function, you should leave them unchanged."

Cruze
03-02-2003, 06:57 PM
If you follow this path:
Control Panel /click System Icon /Performance tab /File System button / Hard Disk tab/you will then see written (Typical role of this computer).Most set this to 'network server for better overall system performance but you can add even further speed to your system by imputing these registry lines below.

Copy & paste the text below in Notepad to create a REG file, and save it for example as MAXCACHE.REG to your desktop.Dont copy the "-----Begin cut & paste here-----" or the '-----End cut & paste here------ ' lines, only what's between them.

-----Begin cut & paste here-----

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\FS Templates]
@="Max Cache"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\FS Templates\Super Cache]
@="Super Cache"
"NameCache"=hex:00,ff,00,00
"PathCache"=hex:ff,00,00,00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\FS Templates\Max Cache]
@="Max Cache"
"NameCache"=hex:00,18,00,00
"PathCache"=hex:c8,00,00,00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\FS Templates\Huge Cache]
@="Huge Cache"
"NameCache"=hex:80,13,00,00
"PathCache"=hex:90,00,00,00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\FS Templates\Large Cache]
@="Large Cache"
"NameCache"=hex:a0,0f,00,00
"PathCache"=hex:80,00,00,00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\FS Templates\Medium Cache]
@="Medium Cache"
"NameCache"=hex:20,0f,00,00
"PathCache"=hex:50,00,00,00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\control\FileSystem]
"NameCache"=hex:00,18,00,00
"PathCache"=hex:c8,00,00,00

-----End cut & paste here------

Now just click on the icon on your desktop and click ok,reboot and follow the path I mentioned at the beginning and you will have more options to choose from to increase the max cache speed of your system which definitly increase the overall performance of your system.

Only choose SuperCache setting if you have at least 128 megs of ram.

You can just delete the Icon on your desktop after the imput and extra settings verification is complete.