PDA

View Full Version : Nasty Bug In Bios

atiVidia
01-21-2004, 09:15 PM
my bios supports UltraDMA HDDs, for full capacity (the bios can easily read it) However, windows XP cannot.

to add to the confusion, longhorn PDC can see the missing 20 gb, but cannot write to it at all...

this issue went away for a day when i upgraded my BIOS, but came back again. I have important stuff that i stored on the other 20 gigs, and now that it wont show up, im FUCKED!

plz help

Ariel_001
01-21-2004, 09:43 PM
it sounds like you have a software/formating problem. did you try using chkdsk or norton disk doctor (if you have it) . maybe you have a (boot) virus. try rescaning for new hardware in the device manger.

it could also be that you did not flash right (or it went wrong) try flashing with a older (backup) copy of your bios

lynx
01-21-2004, 11:18 PM
As far as I am aware, there is no restriction with XP regarding drive size (btw, you haven't actually said how big your drive is). If there ever was a capacity limit, it is certainly resolved with SP1a.

I'm a little confused when you say that Longhorn PDC can see it. Is this by transfering the disk to another machine or over the network? If the latter, no external OS can see the disk directly, only through the OS on the XP machine, which means that the XP machine must be able to see it.

This sounds more like a permissions problem rather than physical access restrictions.

atiVidia
01-22-2004, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by lynx@21 January 2004 - 18:18
As far as I am aware, there is no restriction with XP regarding drive size (btw, you haven't actually said how big your drive is). If there ever was a capacity limit, it is certainly resolved with SP1a.

I'm a little confused when you say that Longhorn PDC can see it. Is this by transfering the disk to another machine or over the network? If the latter, no external OS can see the disk directly, only through the OS on the XP machine, which means that the XP machine must be able to see it.

This sounds more like a permissions problem rather than physical access restrictions.
1) 160 gig HDD
2) while installing Longhorn PDC (the developer's conference build) it can see 20 untouched gigabytes on the HDD (unallocated space) unfortunately, it cannot write to this portion of the drive AT ALL. XP simply cant see the missing space (lol)

this PC has (as of late) 3 OSes, win2000 (main OS), winXP (secondary OS) and winLH. O have tried reading the drive from all 3 OSes, only longhorn can read the missing 20 gigs, but it cant write to them at all...

no OS is restricted in this case, and I have had this issue from day 1 of purchasing the HDD...

SciManAl
01-22-2004, 04:14 AM
simple then bad hardive... :P

lynx
01-22-2004, 08:34 AM
There IS a limit at 137GB, which sounds like the limit you are hitting. However, this is not a limit in any of the OS's you have mentioned, so it sounds like it may be a mobo/bios issue. Check to see if there's a bios upgrade.

B_U_B_B_A
01-22-2004, 11:56 AM
137Gb is the limit in xp without sp1

atiVidia
01-22-2004, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by B_U_B_B_A@22 January 2004 - 06:56
thats probly it as i do not have sp1

DWk
01-22-2004, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by B_U_B_B_A@22 January 2004 - 04:56
Hmmm...... Xbox's have that limit too.... I wonder why :rolleyes:

B_U_B_B_A
01-22-2004, 01:14 PM
i think its sumthin to to with the addressing..sp1 changes it to 48bit addressing which allows it to access beyond the 137Gb...xbox might not have this which means the restriction is 137Gb as well

Mad Cat
01-22-2004, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by B_U_B_B_A@22 January 2004 - 13:14
i think its sumthin to to with the addressing..sp1 changes it to 48bit addressing which allows it to access beyond the 137Gb...xbox might not have this which means the restriction is 137Gb as well
I think DWk is touching on the "Microsoft just put a PC in a ton of plastic and played around a bit."

:lol: