PDA

View Full Version : Making A Cd Rom Install Disk For Ms Dos V6.22

Evil Gemini
01-22-2004, 02:20 PM
Hey guys, this is a strange question, but i was wondering if their was a way to burn all 4 disks onto a cd and use the cd to install instead of the floppies ??

I can use the floppies but it would be good to have it on a cd.

So far this is what i have done.

I downloaded MS DOS V6.22 floppies and exctracted the 4 img floppy files.

I downloaded winimage and created the first disk.

I extracted all 4 floppies into a folder.

I booted up nero and made a bootable CD ROM for MS DOS using the first disk then i burned all the files from the floppies onto the CD.

I set the BIOS to boot from floppy and its picks up the cd rom as the floppy disk :D so im happy with that.

It starts to install and then after 25%, it sais to insert disk 2 but all the install files ore on the CD :angry:

I searched google and a few people have this same problem and they say its coded into the setup to be like this but im pretty sure their is a way.

So can anyone help me out ?? :helpsmile:

shn
01-22-2004, 02:36 PM
That didnt make any sense to that. Its one image file per boot.

Youll still have to have 3 more disk and the have to be burned as an image "seperately" Not put all on the same disk like you did.

You were better offf using the floppies. Thats gonna be a waste of cd for what your trying to do.

Evil Gemini
01-22-2004, 02:57 PM
well, im just trying it on a re writable and i want to use a cd instead because its more reliable to me.

Im always installing OS's for friends and ppl and some even ask for DOS.

Youll still have to have 3 more disk and the have to be burned as an image "seperately" Not put all on the same disk like you did.

I have all the disks on the cd (1 2 3 and 4 all in root on the cd not in folders)

If their was a way to make setup see the cd as all 4 disks, i will but i cant and thats why i only used disk ones boot feature.

When it asks for disk 2, i hit enter and it scans the cd and then it asks for disk 2 again so i know its definitely reading the cd rom and not the floppy.

shn
01-22-2004, 03:09 PM
Its not going to work. If it does be sure you let me in on your secret. ;)

cwctv
01-28-2004, 10:18 PM
I had a play on Sunday and was right the only way was to load Dos to the h/drive then make a bootdisc (on a floppy),after this I dropped over the Dos directory (folder) and the files off of root then cut with Nero result 1 bootable cd-rom for Dos6.22.

On booting with this disc I can now fdisk, format in fact everything the only part left after all this was to drop the full Dos directory to the new drive with the autoexec.bat and config.sys (with cd installed)and wow one ready to run h/drive.

Now when I will use it hmm don't know the iso is only 6.5 megs love playing.