PDA

View Full Version : Can The Riaa Sue Klite Users?

EpRiDaZ
01-22-2004, 04:13 PM
I just read the news and it says they are sueing more people more than the last. Is it possible for them to sue us because on klite we have the option to turn off them being able to view what files we are sharing so with this they wouldnt be able to see what we are sharing. So then they cant sue us for trying to download one file off of us and not being able to see the rest right?

~FunK_mOb~
01-22-2004, 04:50 PM
RIAA can't sue you for using k-lite.
They can only sue you for downloading or uploading musicfiles.
And they won't come after you if your only sharing some files.
You should only worry if your sharing a whole lot of files(hundreds,if not thousands of files)And only if you live in America.
And from what I've heard they focus only on the poeple offering the files and not so much on the people that download them.
So don't worry about it too much. :)

UcanRock2
01-22-2004, 04:56 PM
Wrong...

Was reading the RIAA website concerning this latest issue, and they are using your IP address to find you. Once they have your IP address, then they'll find your Internet Service Provider (ISP), then you. But it looks like it might be a month before we learn of anything.

Everytime you turn on any file sharing program, or accessing a web site, your sending your IP address across the internet.

Now if we were to find a program to stealth our IP address...then maybe we'd be safe.

http://www.danasoft.com/vipersig.jpg

UcanRock2
01-22-2004, 05:28 PM
Not Only In America!!!

The IRMA ( International Recording Media Association) is helping the RIAA in Europe and other countries find and prosecute sharers of large amounts of Illegal Music Files (1000+) :angry:

Again...need to find a program that blocks our IP address.

http://www.danasoft.com/vipersig.jpg

Mobas
01-22-2004, 05:47 PM
*deleted Post*

~FunK_mOb~
01-22-2004, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by UcanRock2@22 January 2004 - 18:28

There are numerous ways to surf the internet in stealth mode.
Proxy servers for instance.Haven't used it myself so I'm not sure how it works but there are deffenitly ways to hide your ip on the internet.

And the sig your showing me only displays the info to me.
There's no way you or anybody else can get my ip,provider and browser trough that kind of sigs.

Mobas
01-22-2004, 06:31 PM
*deleted post*

UcanRock2
01-22-2004, 06:44 PM
There's no way you or anybody else can get my ip,provider and browser.[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE]

Wanna bet...

I don't have the necessary equipment, but the RIAA, IRMA & the MPAA all do.
And I know that sig can't know all that info...it's just there...because :D

Sincerly...UcanRock2

ninjamonkey
01-22-2004, 09:28 PM
wasn't there a court ruling that the riaa cant subpoena ISPs anymore? so even if they get your IP, they cant do anything about it?

J'Pol
01-22-2004, 09:35 PM
Yes they can sue you.

If they can provide proof that you are stealing from them or providing their material to other people then they can get compensation from you.

The tricky bit is in getting the proof in the first place. More importantly getting it in a way which can be used in court.

ninjamonkey
01-22-2004, 11:38 PM
i don't know how they will do that if they can't even subpoena your isp.

ianuk1982
01-23-2004, 12:19 AM
internet companys wont give them any info on users for 1 reason

1:broadband sales worldwide would stop and people wouldnt buy fast internet if they cant download free music

Decoy Octopus
01-23-2004, 12:46 AM
...Well if they have a court order to, they have to. Contempt of court anyone?

james_bond_rulez
01-23-2004, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by ~FunK_mOb~+22 January 2004 - 09:09--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (~FunK_mOb~ @ 22 January 2004 - 09:09)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-UcanRock2@22 January 2004 - 18:28

There are numerous ways to surf the internet in stealth mode.
Proxy servers for instance.Haven&#39;t used it myself so I&#39;m not sure how it works but there are deffenitly ways to hide your ip on the internet.

And the sig your showing me only displays the info to me.
There&#39;s no way you or anybody else can get my ip,provider and browser trough that kind of sigs. [/b][/quote]
well well mr. mob from belgium :lol:

nothing is impossible ;)

~FunK_mOb~
01-23-2004, 01:04 AM
:ph34r: ...sssshut up&#33; http://members.shaw.ca/wenpigsfly/smileys/sweat.gif

http://members.shaw.ca/wenpigsfly/smileys/eekout.gif

:lol: :lol: :lol:

thewizard1785
01-23-2004, 04:21 PM
Do u think Zone Alarm can provide you stealth mode? How good is that program?
Can someone provide me with the URL of the site on which RIAA is adding new names of people who are stealing music? I just wanna make sure THat I am not on the list. :rolleyes:

UcanRock2
01-23-2004, 06:24 PM
Sorry :frusty:

The RIAA is not listing any names...cause they have no names yet, so they say.

All can check it out at: http://www.riaa.com (bloody money hungry bast&#39;ds)

They say they have over 500 IP address(s) of violators, and soon they will have ISP&#39;s, then they can go after all of them.

But like what&#39;s been said before...they wan&#39;t people who record they&#39;re CD&#39;s and share them, that&#39;s supposed to be "Copyright Infringment". And P2P filesharers who have allot of shared music, like, 1000+ music files.

But yet, I can go over to my neighbor&#39;s house, borrow a bunch of his CD&#39;s, record them on my computer, and that&#39;s legal.

Sincerly...UcanRock2

ZeroTolerance
01-23-2004, 11:19 PM
dont sale your soul doe riaa

Switeck
01-24-2004, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by thewizard1785@23 January 2004 - 11:21
Do u think Zone Alarm can provide you stealth mode? How good is that program?
All Zone Alarm can do is make it harder to connect -- it&#39;s either all-or-nothing as far as Kazaa/KL++ is concerned. Zone Alarm is best set up as &#39;transparent&#39; to Kazaa/KL++, so it doesn&#39;t interfere with it.

Zone Alarm Pro may be able (I don&#39;t use it so I don&#39;t know) to accept imported ip blocklists -- so if you use a RIAA blocklist you could enter it there.

BUT... using the same blocklist in KL++ is better -- because that stops the connection BEFORE it is attempted rather than after or in-the-process of connecting.

deerslayer
01-24-2004, 09:35 AM
hi there, search 4 Waste, brought 2 u by the inventor of winamp & the gnutella network, small grp p2p hidden from corporate B)

E-squirrel
01-24-2004, 04:13 PM
deerslayer, is your name shawn?

Mystikan
01-24-2004, 04:17 PM
If you share copyrighted material and don&#39;t want to get caught, there&#39;s a few things you can do to protect yourself:
1) go to http://www.peerguardian.net and download yourself a copy of PeerGuardian. This program blocks all known IP addresses that the RIAA and other copyright thugs use to get files from you to prove you&#39;re sharing illegal stuff. They update their blocklist regularly, so once you have it installed, anyone trying to upload from you via one of those blocked IPs (ie the RIAA) is prevented from getting your file. It&#39;s not 100% guaranteed, but it greatly increases the odds in your favour.
2) Change your Kazaa username on a regular basis. This does not alter your IP and won&#39;t stop a really determined snoop, but it helps prevent you getting recognised by casual rats who look for illegal filesharers to dob them in for bounties and rewards (yes, such lowlife scum do exist&#33;). NEVER use your real name or even your common net nick (ie you&#39;ll never see me on Kazaa as Mystikan).
3) Get yourself a packet sniffer (PeerGuardian has one you can download) if you are really concerned, and use it to monitor where your packets are going. This is a lot of work if you share a lot of files, so only do this if you really feel the dogs&#39; hot breath on your ass&#33;

Switeck
01-24-2004, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by Mystikan@24 January 2004 - 11:17
1) go to http://www.peerguardian.net and download yourself a copy of PeerGuardian. This program blocks all known IP addresses that the RIAA and other copyright thugs use to get files from you to prove you&#39;re sharing illegal stuff. They update their blocklist regularly, so once you have it installed, anyone trying to upload from you via one of those blocked IPs (ie the RIAA) is prevented from getting your file. It&#39;s not 100% guaranteed, but it greatly increases the odds in your favour.
Peer Guardian is good, but it&#39;s better to use Peer Guardian&#39;s most updated blocklist IN KL++.

This is done by putting the text inside Peer Guardian&#39;s blocklist into KL++&#39;s blocklist file ( BannedIpRanges.txt )

The reason why this is better is Peer Guardian is unable to block KL++&#39;s UDP traffic at all while KL++ can get basically ALL outgoing UDP traffic.

ZeroTolerance
01-24-2004, 11:14 PM
riaa can&#39;nt sue nobody but they can try ut i doubt they will far by doing this but if your hiding your files and sharing the files at the same time no worry for the riaa just sit back in chill B)

deerslayer
01-25-2004, 06:04 AM
E-squirrel --- no, not shawn, only started posting here last 10 days or so B)

h1
01-25-2004, 06:51 AM
There is no such thing as being able to hide your IP. Read RFC 2616 for more.