PDA

View Full Version : Rename To Zip

toddiscool
03-01-2003, 11:32 PM
Hey, i am always downloadin these files that say"rename to .zip and unzip" are these real cuz i never get them to work. If they are real how do i get them to be recognized by windows as a zipped file and not an application.

DataMore
03-01-2003, 11:36 PM
Have you tried changing the file extension to .zip and double click it? :huh:

The Great Dude
03-01-2003, 11:37 PM
I think it wants you to rename the extension to zip. Then unzip it with something like WinRAR or Winzip, See if that helps.

Shinigami_[R.I.P.]
03-01-2003, 11:38 PM
try taking out the .exe out of the filename. Or try clicking on them and see if WinZIP opens up.

toddiscool
03-01-2003, 11:39 PM
Yeah right after I posted i realized that I did not have winzip installed, i am tryon that now. And yes i have tried to double click I am new to the board not to computers Datamore. Thanks, the biggest thing i wanted to know is if they are real or not.

Shinigami_[R.I.P.]
03-01-2003, 11:39 PM
We all posted a minute after each other and all said the same thing :lol:

toddiscool
03-01-2003, 11:41 PM
That is why I love these forums quick replys, it is weird that K-lite gets a better forum than microsoft!!

Shinigami_[R.I.P.]
03-01-2003, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by toddiscool@1 March 2003 - 15:39
Yeah right after I posted i realized that I did not have winzip installed, i am tryon that now. And yes i have tried to double click I am new to the board not to computers Datamore. Thanks, the biggest thing i wanted to know is if they are real or not.
Yea, they're usually real. They add the .exe so Kazaa (Lite) can recognize that it belongs in the software category.

The Great Dude
03-01-2003, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by toddiscool@1 March 2003 - 15:41
That is why I love these forums quick replys, it is weird that K-lite gets a better forum than microsoft!!
Thanks, we try hard too. :P :lol: Shinigami, your other post was suppose to be 40 minutes to be complete. :P :lol:

DataMore
03-01-2003, 11:44 PM
You don't need to rename the file extension if you have WinZip.
You can open up any file within WinZip and if it's a valid archive it will show you what's in it. ;)

:D Of course this forum is better than Microsoft's! No one likes working for Microsoft, they're all grumpy bastards! :D

Shinigami_[R.I.P.]
03-01-2003, 11:57 PM
And while your getting WinZIP, go ahead and get WinRAR too since its just better :D

@TGD: oh well, its there :lol: :P

skelley521
03-02-2003, 01:54 AM
you need a rename program that will let you rename the file extension.
If it is an .exe that you downloaded from K-Lite and you click on it and windows tells you that it is not a valid win32 app..........then get a app. that will rename it for you.....I use BulkRenameUtility....freeware from webattack.com......make sure you move the file to a separate folder though....it will rename all programs in the folder to .zip etc
Then windows will recognize it as a valid zip file.....if you have Windows XP, it has its own zip utility.
hmmmm ..so many conflicting answers in here.....makes me wonder

The Great Dude
03-02-2003, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by Shinigami@1 March 2003 - 15:57
And while your getting WinZIP, go ahead and get WinRAR too since its just better  :D

@TGD:  oh well, its there :lol:  :P
While getting that, get the key for it too. ;) ( Cool, my one thousand and one post.)

@skelley521 your avatar is freaky. :blink:

skelley521
03-02-2003, 01:57 AM
wonder.......chat room or knowledge archive................hmmm

skelley521
03-02-2003, 02:02 AM
@ the great dude....I know....lol.....when I signed up I couldnt think of a pic...then I remembered my old web page had a few strange ones stored in it......took me awhile to remember where my page was....been a few years...lol.....I just stuck that one on there for now.....it was funny a few years ago.