PDA

View Full Version : What Is The Smallest Format For Downloaded Dvd's

powerstick
01-23-2004, 07:32 AM
What is the smallest format for downloaded dvd's. I have a Hulk video that was encoded in mpeg and it was 699 MB. I converted it to HiDef DiVx Certified and it is now 280 MB. This cd was part 1 of 2 cd's.

I downloaded the next part and it was encoded in avi. It was 166 mb and the playtime was almost as long as the first one but the size of the file was 166 instead of 699. (280 after I converted it to HiDef DiVx Certified) I then wanted to convert it to HiDef DiVx Certified and but the output file would have been 280 Mb. Strange I though. Why is this?

What is the best and smallest format to encode in? What should I look for to find the right (smallest encoder)? Does anyone have a link? Thanks!

{I}{K}{E}
01-23-2004, 09:09 AM
xvid/divx or kvcd

Robert00000
01-23-2004, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by powerstick@23 January 2004 - 07:32
What is the smallest format for downloaded dvd's. I have a Hulk video that was encoded in mpeg and it was 699 MB. I converted it to HiDef DiVx Certified and it is now 280 MB. This cd was part 1 of 2 cd's.

I downloaded the next part and it was encoded in avi. It was 166 mb and the playtime was almost as long as the first one but the size of the file was 166 instead of 699. (280 after I converted it to HiDef DiVx Certified) I then wanted to convert it to HiDef DiVx Certified and but the output file would have been 280 Mb. Strange I though. Why is this?

What is the best and smallest format to encode in? What should I look for to find the right (smallest encoder)? Does anyone have a link? Thanks!
Divx/Xvid are avi codecs. They give smaller files sizes than mpeg because of better compression methods.

Its the bitrate that has the biggest influence on file sizes. The lower the bitrate the smaller the file size, but also the lesser the quality. You can maintain more quality by using VBR (variable bitrate), which almost all formats use (but not VCD Mpeg, which is what you probably downloaded).

If you have downloaded a movie that was encoded at a lower bitrate there is no point increasing it to high definition Divx, because you will get a bigger file size, but no increase in quality. You cannot improve the quality of the original movie irrespective of how much you increase the bitrate to.

The best quality movie you can download offering the best compression are dvd rips and screeners, they are dvd quality in Divx/Xvid format. The file sizes are around 700 Mb for an average movie (1 and half hour long).

powerstick
01-27-2004, 07:40 AM
I just got the Fair Use ripper. When sizing a dvd rip I have specified 500 mb and leaving the settings that the program sets and I have got exelent quality on that setting. The only file that turned out nominal blur on full screen theatre was 007 Die Another Day. It is 2 hours and 7 min. The blur is barely even there though. I think what I am going to start doing is seeing how many minutes the dvd has in it before I rip it. Maybe that way anything over 145 min I can make it be a little bigger. I have a 19 inch viewable flat pannel lcd monitor, so the output has been good using this ripper below. If you want to check it out, it is free, adware free and spyware free.

http://fairuse.free.fr/index.html

powerstick
01-27-2004, 07:41 AM
I have been ripping them in DivX

100%
02-01-2004, 11:02 PM
Actually...
maybe its possible to get Lord of the Rings onto a Floppy
convert to one pixel and degrade the the sound

ck-uk
02-02-2004, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by powerstick@27 January 2004 - 06:40
I just got the Fair Use ripper. When sizing a dvd rip I have specified 500 mb and leaving the settings that the program sets and I have got exelent quality on that setting. The only file that turned out nominal blur on full screen theatre was 007 Die Another Day. It is 2 hours and 7 min. The blur is barely even there though. I think what I am going to start doing is seeing how many minutes the dvd has in it before I rip it. Maybe that way anything over 145 min I can make it be a little bigger. I have a 19 inch viewable flat pannel lcd monitor, so the output has been good using this ripper below. If you want to check it out, it is free, adware free and spyware free.

http://fairuse.free.fr/index.html
Give gordian knots a try mate.Its not as hard to use as ppl think.Its all the best tools controlled by gordians calulator.You wont make a better rip mate once you understand it.If you do & need any help ,just let me know. :)