PDA

View Full Version : Servers/ips

gungrave
01-23-2004, 10:20 AM
im on a network to a nother pc running though a hub.
i wanna set up a game server but it just comes up with my stupid lan ip.
any ideas how i can set it up? :helpsmile:

shn
01-23-2004, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by gungrave@23 January 2004 - 04:20
Make the server box dmz. Doing that will open put it on the perimeter of your network and give it a public ip.

But if you know how to config your router. Find the exact port numbers and forward them to that box. Im not a gamer but if you give us the name Im sure someone will know what ports that game uses. :)

gungrave
01-23-2004, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by shn+23 January 2004 - 10:42--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (shn @ 23 January 2004 - 10:42)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-gungrave@23 January 2004 - 04:20
Make the server box dmz. Doing that will open put it on the perimeter of your network and give it a public ip.

But if you know how to config your router. Find the exact port numbers and forward them to that box. Im not a gamer but if you give us the name Im sure someone will know what ports that game uses. :) [/b][/quote]
:helpsmile: its a hub not a router

shn
01-23-2004, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by gungrave+23 January 2004 - 05:03--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (gungrave @ 23 January 2004 - 05:03)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by shn@23 January 2004 - 10:42
<!--QuoteBegin-gungrave@23 January 2004 - 04:20

But if you know how to config your router. Find the exact port numbers and forward them to that box. Im not a gamer but if you give us the name Im sure someone will know what ports that game uses. :)
:helpsmile: its a hub not a router [/b][/quote]
Oh sorry didnt see that. But in order for you to keep getting a lan ip that means your behind some kind of barrier. Hubs dont hide your public ip like that. Is the hub connected to a router or do you have icf (internet connection firewall).?

If you could elaborate or be a little more decisive regarding the way you have your lan setup it could be more helpful. :)

gungrave
01-23-2004, 11:32 AM
theres the net box - my bros pc - hub - my pc

shn
01-23-2004, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by gungrave@23 January 2004 - 05:32
Net box?

What do you mean netbox? Is there a caable modem, a router.....................?

Cant be online with just a hub.

gungrave
01-23-2004, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by shn+23 January 2004 - 11:16--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (shn @ 23 January 2004 - 11:16)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by gungrave@23 January 2004 - 05:03

Originally posted by shn@23 January 2004 - 10:42
<!--QuoteBegin-gungrave@23 January 2004 - 04:20

:helpsmile: its a hub not a router
Oh sorry didnt see that. But in order for you to keep getting a lan ip that means your behind some kind of barrier. Hubs dont hide your public ip like that. Is the hub connected to a router or do you have icf (internet connection firewall).?

If you could elaborate or be a little more decisive regarding the way you have your lan setup it could be more helpful. :) [/b][/quote]
:helpsmile: netbox - bros pc - hub - my pc

gungrave
01-23-2004, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by shn+23 January 2004 - 11:33--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (shn @ 23 January 2004 - 11:33)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-gungrave@23 January 2004 - 05:32
Net box?

What do you mean netbox? Is there a caable modem, a router.....................?

Cant be online with just a hub. [/b][/quote]
its a box where u get the net from...

shn
01-23-2004, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by gungrave+23 January 2004 - 06:09--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (gungrave &#064; 23 January 2004 - 06:09)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by shn@23 January 2004 - 11:33
<!--QuoteBegin-gungrave@23 January 2004 - 05:32
Net box?

its a box where u get the net from...[/b][/quote]
OMG :lol:

Im sorry, I had to laugh at that. A box where you get the net from? You mean a computer thats connected to the net ? Do you and your sibling share that connection or by box do you mean modem, router? What does it look like?

Lol sorry so many questions :D

gungrave
01-23-2004, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by shn+23 January 2004 - 13:30--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (shn @ 23 January 2004 - 13:30)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by gungrave@23 January 2004 - 06:09

Originally posted by shn@23 January 2004 - 11:33
<!--QuoteBegin-gungrave@23 January 2004 - 05:32
Net box?

its a box where u get the net from...
OMG :lol:

Im sorry, I had to laugh at that. A box where you get the net from? You mean a computer thats connected to the net ? Do you and your sibling share that connection or by box do you mean modem, router? What does it look like?

Lol sorry so many questions :D [/b][/quote]
http://www.ntlhome.com/talk_to_us/images/broad.gif
the 1 at the top <_< :helpsmile:

shn
01-23-2004, 02:34 PM
What is it? Everything in existance has a name. Mind sharing what that might be?

Nevermind............thats a cable modem. The question is what kind do you have and what does it do. Some are just modems............others like mine are cable/dsl modem and wireless access router all in one.

If yours is like mine then thats the prob, your behind a router and you need to open thoose ports.

gungrave
01-23-2004, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by shn@23 January 2004 - 14:34
What is it? Everything in existance has a name. Mind sharing what that might be?

Nevermind............thats a cable modem. The question is what kind do you have and what does it do. Some are just modems............others like mine are cable/dsl modem and wireless access router all in one.

If yours is like mine then thats the prob, your behind a router and you need to open thoose ports.
is there a way i can set 1 up with the hub

i got a 1mb connecting from ntl

shn
01-23-2004, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by gungrave+23 January 2004 - 09:06--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (gungrave &#064; 23 January 2004 - 09:06)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-shn@23 January 2004 - 14:34
What is it?&nbsp; Everything in existance has a name.&nbsp; Mind sharing what that might be?

Nevermind............thats a cable modem.&nbsp; The question is what kind do you have and what does it do.&nbsp; Some are just modems............others like mine are cable/dsl modem and wireless access router all in one.

i got a 1mb connecting from ntl [/b][/quote]
No, all the hub does is allow you to connect more than one box up to your modem and or router.

Do you have access to the configuration of the router? What game is it?

gungrave
01-23-2004, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by shn+23 January 2004 - 15:13--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (shn @ 23 January 2004 - 15:13)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by gungrave@23 January 2004 - 09:06
<!--QuoteBegin-shn@23 January 2004 - 14:34

No, all the hub does is allow you to connect more than one box up to your modem and or router.

Do you have access to the configuration of the router? What game is it? [/b][/quote]
i aint got a router and iv tryed setting a server up with CoD , moh and teamspeak
they all worked on my old be when i had 56k :helpsmile:

shn
01-23-2004, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by gungrave+23 January 2004 - 09:28--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (gungrave &#064; 23 January 2004 - 09:28)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by shn@23 January 2004 - 15:13

Originally posted by gungrave@23 January 2004 - 09:06
<!--QuoteBegin-shn@23 January 2004 - 14:34
What is it?&nbsp; Everything in existance has a name.&nbsp; Mind sharing what that might be?

Nevermind............thats a cable modem.&nbsp; The question is what kind do you have and what does it do.&nbsp; Some are just modems............others like mine are cable/dsl modem and wireless access router all in one.

Do you have access to the configuration of the router? What game is it?
i aint got a router and iv tryed setting a server up with CoD , moh and teamspeak
they all worked on my old be when i had 56k :helpsmile:[/b][/quote]
Once again I dont game so im not 100% sure of your alternatives. But there has to be a some type of firewall between your hub and the other pc if its not getting your public ip. I assume the games your trying to serve dont have an option to specify the ip and port in the game server options. Although Im told that most of them do. Your modem may have a built in router. A lot of them come like that now.

Here are some links that I found pertaining to the games your trying to serve.

COD
http://www.codboards.com/index.php?showtopic=377
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,8655489~mode=flat

General Links about Game serving and port forwarding.

http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/expertz...3november10.asp (http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/expertzone/columns/durham/03november10.asp)
http://www.realsoftware.com/listarchives/r...0/msg00077.html (http://www.realsoftware.com/listarchives/realbasic-games/2003-10/msg00077.html)

Hope that helped, Im off to bed now. Im sure someone else that knows a ton more than me about this stuff will drop in for greetz.

gungrave
01-23-2004, 08:02 PM
Winsock Initialized
Opening IP socket: localhost:28960
Hostname: mikes
IP: 192.168.0.2

how do i open up the net socket so it dont go to the localhost?

shn
01-23-2004, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by gungrave@23 January 2004 - 14:02
Winsock Initialized
Opening IP socket: localhost:28960
Hostname: mikes
IP: 192.168.0.2

how do i open up the net socket so it dont go to the localhost?
Ill bet whatever server your running has a .ini file for configuration so you can specify a different host or ip.. Check in the game folder and see if it does. If so, carefully open it up with notepad but do not save it as a .txt file because anscii characters can screw the config files up.

Confer with the game documentation if you have it.