PDA

View Full Version : Case Problem

BiG_aL
01-25-2004, 02:41 AM
Hey,
I was just trying to install a fan on the front of my case. Only problem is, is that the holes in my computer case are too big. I can't make the holes any bigger in the fan or they will crack.
I don't know how I can attach them... any ideas? I think it would be near impossible to take teh front panel off and put a nut and washer on the other side because it is all riveted to teh chassis.
Please help me as soon as possible.
Thanks,
Allan

TheFilePirater
01-25-2004, 02:43 AM
the washer thing is the only thing i can thing of... except maybe put the screw backwards so that the bigger head is in the case on the hole

BiG_aL
01-25-2004, 02:46 AM
yeh I dunno I can't really take the front off.
And I don't think I can put a screw in backwards cuz i can't take the front of either... BAH

DWk
01-25-2004, 02:47 AM
Originally posted by TheFilePirater@24 January 2004 - 19:43
the washer thing is the only thing i can thing of... except maybe put the screw backwards so that the bigger head is in the case on the hole
I assume you are making the fan an intake fan?

BiG_aL
01-25-2004, 02:48 AM
yeh actually I wanna put 2 intake fans on the front. but the predrilled holes are too big.

DWk
01-25-2004, 02:53 AM
I assume it's not the optimal solution, but maybe you can use some wooden screw plugs (or maybe plastic), chop them and try to fit it.

bigdawgfoxx
01-25-2004, 02:54 AM
You could just drill some holes in a little bit diff location if ur case has room...

firefox
01-25-2004, 03:11 AM
I have had this problem before when building computers for friends, we fix it with a zip tie, seems to work every time.

bigdawgfoxx
01-25-2004, 03:14 AM
haha I prob have 70 zip ties in my computer! haha

tesco
01-25-2004, 03:29 AM
wierd i was going to post almost teh same thing, i am trying to install an intake fan into my computer, but i dont see any way to attach a fan, the grills are there but hte holes are pretty wide and the screws just go right through, my best idea is to use hot glue on it (just little dapbs, not to much) and i think that would hold and also make it quieter by reducing vibration of the case.

BiG_aL
01-25-2004, 03:29 PM
yeh later as I was brainstorming the idea. I thought of using glue. It would act as a noise reducer too. I may have to go that route. Also those zip tights wouldn't that make the fan vibrate? cuz it's not solid.
-Allan

Virtualbody1234
01-26-2004, 03:37 AM
You could use rubber grommets. It would also reduce fan vibration.

http://www.mgcars.org.uk/electrical/Dash-grommet-1.jpg

http://www.coolcases.com/cases/sr104_m_ol_2xe.jpg

firefox
01-26-2004, 04:43 AM
yeh later as I was brainstorming the idea. I thought of using glue. It would act as a noise reducer too. I may have to go that route. Also those zip tights wouldn't that make the fan vibrate? cuz it's not solid.
-Allan
If you put the zip ties on right and nice and tight it will not vibrate, I have had no complaints with this fix.

johnboy27
01-26-2004, 05:10 AM
Yup,zip ties here.the only way i could get mine to stay was zip ties.The front of my case refused to come off so this was the easiest way to get them to stay.

_John_Lennon_
01-26-2004, 05:36 AM
There's usually a way for all fronts of cases to come off. Mine has screws on the sides to secure it, other pop off with tabs.

I think I remember having a similar problem like this, but I must have solved it because I have a fan in the front now. Is the hole for each of the fans just a hole? Or is it indented on one side or something, like is smaller on one side of the panel or the other?

Pics perhaps? :-)

BiG_aL
01-26-2004, 05:52 PM
there is a spot for a fan with predrilled holes at each corner. They are holes. Nothing else i can really describe. The rubber groomet idea might be ok.

_John_Lennon_
01-26-2004, 09:04 PM
How big are the holes?

Because typical case screws wont fit in my Fan holes, but the Fan Screws will fit.