PDA

View Full Version : Did You See That?

hobbes
01-25-2004, 03:14 AM
I pulled this from a spam thread about God.

People sometimes say: I believe what I see. This goes to show you that so much more goes around you than what you can perceive, even if it right in front of you.

The Discovery Channel aired a BBC production today that showed that we don't even "see" what we see.

They took a group of 20 adults and asked them to watch a video of 6 basketball players doing a passing drill. 3 were wearing black uniforms, 3 were wearing yellow uniforms. They were told to count the number of passes made by the players in yellow and ignore the passes by the players in black.

Midway through the video and man in an ape suit walked between the players, beat his chest then walked of screen, the video then stopped.

When asked if anyone saw anything unusual only 4 of 20 raised their hands.

The video was played again with no instructions and everyone starting gasping at missing the ape the first time.

The point was that the mind can only process so much information at once, and for those things we are not actively working on, we make assumptions of what we are seeing based on experience, and are not actually "seeing " what is there.

As the viewer you laugh, knowing for sure you would have seen the ape. The announcer then gets the apeman and says to the TV, "Does he look familiar to you?"

They then rewind the show pausing at all the times they had placed the ape in the backround, but in plain sight. I imagine most people were a little shocked.

fugley
01-25-2004, 03:17 AM
did you see spiderman in the Italian Job?? :blink:

ZeroTolerance
01-25-2004, 03:18 AM
discovery channel can be very helpful at time. Does it air again anytime hobbles?

Mad Cat
01-25-2004, 03:18 AM
In that same post I made the same point you are making.

I believe I said "You know what you saw but do you know what was actually there?"

The BBC rules :P

evildon
01-25-2004, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by fugley@25 January 2004 - 03:17
Yes when they dropped the armoured car through the street....

ED

evildon
01-25-2004, 07:29 AM
Your brain is very weird..i know mine is...

Nova did a special with Alan Alda about how our memory stores data and collects it...That and this story would be great to see together back to back....

Why I have never like Eye-witness accounts in crime cases or ufo sightings...not without hard data...look at optical illusions for example we can be fooled....

ED

hi_what_is_up!
01-25-2004, 12:01 PM
I am taking a sort of percecptual pshchology class, and it's not that your brain can't process it all at once its just that the brain uses grouping methods and onced te stuff is grouped it dosn't notice anything new... I think i'll post after i go back to class monday

J'Pol
01-25-2004, 01:22 PM
I didn't even see the woman in the red dress, what chance have I got. :blink:

bigboab
01-25-2004, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by J'Pol@25 January 2004 - 13:22
I didn't even see the woman in the red dress, what chance have I got. :blink:
Was it not a wee girl in a red dress JP? Or am I getting mixed up again. :huh:

Or was that Schindlers pissed?

Aaron_T
01-25-2004, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by hobbes@25 January 2004 - 02:14

People sometimes say: I believe what I see. This goes to show you that so much more goes around you than what you can perceive, even if it right in front of you.

The Discovery Channel aired a BBC production today that showed that we don't even "see" what we see.

They took a group of 20 adults and asked them to watch a video of 6 basketball players doing a passing drill. 3 were wearing black uniforms, 3 were wearing yellow uniforms. They were told to count the number of passes made by the players in yellow and ignore the passes by the players in black.

Midway through the video and man in an ape suit walked between the players, beat his chest then walked of screen, the video then stopped.

The video was played again with no instructions and everyone starting gasping at missing the ape the first time.

The point was that the mind can only process so much information at once, and for those things we are not actively working on, we make assumptions of what we are seeing based on experience, and are not actually "seeing " what is there.

As the viewer you laugh, knowing for sure you would have seen the ape. The announcer then gets the apeman and says to the TV, "Does he look familiar to you?"

They then rewind the show pausing at all the times they had placed the ape in the backround, but in plain sight. I imagine most people were a little shocked.
i dont think the thread about god was SPAM it was a serious question.

J'Pol
01-25-2004, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by bigboab+25 January 2004 - 14:27--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bigboab @ 25 January 2004 - 14:27)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-J&#39;Pol@25 January 2004 - 13:22
I didn&#39;t even see the woman in the red dress, what chance have I got. :blink:
Was it not a wee girl in a red dress JP? Or am I getting mixed up again. :huh:

Or was that Schindlers pissed? [/b][/quote]
That Schlindler, he&#39;s a boy with a drink in him.

bigboab
01-25-2004, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by J&#39;Pol@25 January 2004 - 13:43
I wont go into switching that one around JP. :lol: :lol:

J'Pol
01-25-2004, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by bigboab+25 January 2004 - 14:45--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bigboab @ 25 January 2004 - 14:45)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-J&#39;Pol@25 January 2004 - 13:43
I wont go into switching that one around JP. :lol: :lol: [/b][/quote]
Don&#39;t even think about it.

internet.news
01-25-2004, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by fugley@25 January 2004 - 02:17
http://pfosten.org/archiv/files/spiderman-italian-job.jpg

hobbes
01-25-2004, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Azzz+25 January 2004 - 14:27--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Azzz @ 25 January 2004 - 14:27)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-hobbes@25 January 2004 - 02:14

People sometimes say: I believe what I see.&nbsp; This goes to show you that so much more goes around you than what you can perceive, even if it right in front of you.

The Discovery Channel aired a BBC production today that showed that we don&#39;t even "see" what we see.

i dont think the thread about god was SPAM it was a serious question. [/b][/quote]
Clarification: It was a thread about God which got spammed, the original post was not spam.

DivineBeingX
01-25-2004, 06:20 PM
whats the point?

internet.news
01-25-2004, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by fugley@25 January 2004 - 04:17
in some ways true - did you electromagnetical waves?