PDA

View Full Version : Water

Keikan
01-25-2004, 10:52 AM
I went to the fridge to pour myself some water it was some sort of spring water. Anyways so I'm thinking there is no way ALL spring water is from mountains or whatever because by now it would gone right? If you ask me spring water isn't very "pure" since, the best water for drinking is distilled water IMO.

Mad Cat
01-25-2004, 10:56 AM
Haven't you even done geography in school?

Yer piss goes into the sea, evaporates, into clouds, back into mountains. Continue cycle.

shn
01-25-2004, 10:56 AM
A while ago a major distributer of spring water was sued because they were not even selling fresh spring water they were just filtering tap water. :lol:

All I drink is bottled spring water. I drink mountain valley, its been around for a while and its fresh from the Hot Springs, Arkansas area in the u.s.. :P

Keikan
01-25-2004, 10:57 AM
I still like distilled water better tho.

Mad Cat
01-25-2004, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by shn@25 January 2004 - 10:56
A while ago a major distributer of spring water was sued because they were not even selling fresh spring water they were just filtering tap water. :lol:

All I drink is bottled spring water. I drink mountain valley, its been around for a while and its fresh from the Hot Springs, Arkansas area in the u.s.. :P
There was a thing on the radio, then I later heard it on the TV, that said drinking spring water can lead to cancer or something. I'm not sure what else they said, but I remember hearing something about it.

UKMan
01-25-2004, 11:51 AM
The water where i live is very fresh and clean, so there is no way i'm gonna pay for a bottle of water - bloody stupid in my opinion.

Allthough, some of you guys seem to live in places where you have to... but in most countries its just a fad, its "hip" to buy bottled water - nothing wrong with tap water - in fact some bacteria is good and neccesary for the stomach and bowels to function properly. Peeps these days have no immunity for germs anymore because they're being "hip"...

Peace
UKMan

shn
01-25-2004, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by UKMan@25 January 2004 - 05:51
The water where i live is very fresh and clean, so there is no way i'm gonna pay for a bottle of water - bloody stupid in my opinion.

Allthough, some of you guys seem to live in places where you have to... but in most countries its just a fad, its "hip" to buy bottled water - nothing wrong with tap water - in fact some bacteria is good and neccesary for the stomach and bowels to function properly. Peeps these days have no immunity for germs anymore because they're being "hip"...

Peace
UKMan
Would you eat raw meat? :huh:

You sound like a barbarian. One of thoose hard-core nature fanatics.

Samurai
01-25-2004, 12:15 PM
According to studies done, tap water is afr more safer from bacteria than that of the bottled variety. It seems the water you get through your taps have to go through 100's of government checks to ensure it is safe to drink. Bottled water do not have to go through the same checks (although they will have to ensure it is safe at some point).

Also, on another note, tap water does very from region to region, even as small as the UK. In London, where I live, if the tap water is not filtered, you can tend to get 'fur' on your tongue from drinking it. I was born in Carlisle (Nr. Scotland) and you could drink tap water all day there and have no 'fur' residue.

My 2 Pence :lol:

shn
01-25-2004, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Samurai@25 January 2004 - 06:15
According to studies done, tap water is afr more safer from bacteria than that of the bottled variety. It seems the water you get through your taps have to go through 100's of government checks to ensure it is safe to drink. Bottled water do not have to go through the same checks (although they will have to ensure it is safe at some point).

Also, on another note, tap water does very from region to region, even as small as the UK. In London, where I live, if the tap water is not filtered, you can tend to get 'fur' on your tongue from drinking it. I was born in Carlisle (Nr. Scotland) and you could drink tap water all day there and have no 'fur' residue.

Then why is bottled water more clear than tap water. :huh:

Kinda looks more pure I guess. :blink:

UKMan
01-25-2004, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by shn+25 January 2004 - 12:57--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (shn @ 25 January 2004 - 12:57)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-UKMan@25 January 2004 - 05:51
The water where i live is very fresh and clean, so there is no way i&#39;m gonna pay for a bottle of water - bloody stupid in my opinion.

Allthough, some of you guys seem to live in places where you have to... but in most countries its just a fad, its "hip" to buy bottled water - nothing wrong with tap water - in fact some bacteria is good and neccesary for the stomach and bowels to function properly. Peeps these days have no immunity for germs anymore because they&#39;re being "hip"...

Peace
UKMan

You sound like a barbarian. One of thoose hard-core nature fanatics. [/b][/quote]
No i dont eat raw meat - cant imagine why you asked that, i made no hint to that fact :huh:

Also i dont think im a barbarian - we are talking about water you know, i must admit that i do allow the water to run into my glass unaided - maybe thats being a bit cruel, but it does land safely i can assure you.

I certainly am not a hard core nature fanatic eother... just cant think why you would make such a comment - i was merely replying about the water... strange... :blink:

Peace
UKMan

shn
01-25-2004, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by UKMan+25 January 2004 - 06:27--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (UKMan @ 25 January 2004 - 06:27)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by shn@25 January 2004 - 12:57
<!--QuoteBegin-UKMan@25 January 2004 - 05:51
The water where i live is very fresh and clean, so there is no way i&#39;m gonna pay for a bottle of water - bloody stupid in my opinion.

Allthough, some of you guys seem to live in places where you have to... but in most countries its just a fad, its "hip" to buy bottled water - nothing wrong with tap water - in fact some bacteria is good and neccesary for the stomach and bowels to function properly. Peeps these days have no immunity for germs anymore because they&#39;re being "hip"...

Peace
UKMan

No i dont eat raw meat - cant imagine why you asked that, i made no hint to that fact :huh:

Also i dont think im a barbarian - we are talking about water you know, i must admit that i do allow the water to run into my glass unaided - maybe thats being a bit cruel, but it does land safely i can assure you.

I certainly am not a hard core nature fanatic eother... just cant think why you would make such a comment - i was merely replying about the water... strange... :blink:

Peace
UKMan [/b][/quote]
Probably because were from two different countries. If you seen the water that comes out of the sinks here in the u.s. You would probably understand.

UKMan
01-25-2004, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by shn+25 January 2004 - 13:31--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (shn @ 25 January 2004 - 13:31)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by UKMan@25 January 2004 - 06:27

Originally posted by shn@25 January 2004 - 12:57
<!--QuoteBegin-UKMan@25 January 2004 - 05:51

Peace
UKMan

Peace
UKMan
Probably because were from two different countries. If you seen the water that comes out of the sinks here in the u.s. You would probably understand. [/b][/quote]
I realise that, which is why i also wrote:

Allthough, some of you guys seem to live in places where you have to

Maybe you didnt read that bit...

Im not totally stupid you know :lol:

Peace
UKMan

Samurai
01-25-2004, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by shn+25 January 2004 - 11:21--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (shn @ 25 January 2004 - 11:21)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Samurai@25 January 2004 - 06:15
According to studies done, tap water is afr more safer from bacteria than that of the bottled variety. It seems the water you get through your taps have to go through 100&#39;s of government checks to ensure it is safe to drink. Bottled water do not have to go through the same checks (although they will have to ensure it is safe at some point).

Also, on another note, tap water does very from region to region, even as small as the UK. In London, where I live, if the tap water is not filtered, you can tend to get &#39;fur&#39; on your tongue from drinking it. I was born in Carlisle (Nr. Scotland) and you could drink tap water all day there and have no &#39;fur&#39; residue.

Kinda looks more pure I guess. :blink: [/b][/quote]
What??&#33;? If you were to get 2 glasses and fill them up, 1 with tap water, 1 with bottled you wouldn&#39;t notice the difference.

I take it water comes out brown where you live?

Nimdock
01-25-2004, 12:36 PM
Also you can&#39;t speak of water in general from all the U.S. every single place is different.

shn
01-25-2004, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Samurai+25 January 2004 - 06:36--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Samurai &#064; 25 January 2004 - 06:36)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by shn@25 January 2004 - 11:21
<!--QuoteBegin-Samurai@25 January 2004 - 06:15
According to studies done, tap water is afr more safer from bacteria than that of the bottled variety. It seems the water you get through your taps have to go through 100&#39;s of government checks to ensure it is safe to drink. Bottled water do not have to go through the same checks (although they will have to ensure it is safe at some point).

Also, on another note, tap water does very from region to region, even as small as the UK. In London, where I live, if the tap water is not filtered, you can tend to get &#39;fur&#39; on your tongue from drinking it. I was born in Carlisle (Nr. Scotland) and you could drink tap water all day there and have no &#39;fur&#39; residue.

Kinda looks more pure I guess. :blink:
What??&#33;? If you were to get 2 glasses and fill them up, 1 with tap water, 1 with bottled you wouldn&#39;t notice the difference.

I take it water comes out brown where you live?[/b][/quote]
Close.........but no cigar :lol:

It comes out white. Thats at my uni where I go to school. I grew up on a ranch where we had wells and the water was pretty clean. Although we never used the wells. :P

bigboab
01-25-2004, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by UKMan@25 January 2004 - 12:34
Im not totally stupid you know :lol:

Could you give us a percentage UK. Then we could form our own opinion. :lol:

Back on the thread. I have never heard of anyone drowning in bottled water. :) Like UK, we also have water that comes from the mountains and is as good as you get. I once stayed in Lincolnshire where the water comes from underground reservoirs. It was horrible. This is probably the case in a lot of American states.

Honey
01-25-2004, 12:45 PM
I can see that both sides have their merits..

All water in Australia has flouride added for dental protection which is good isnt it? But I live in a cul-de-sac and am at the end of a water line. So chlorine and chemicals tend to build up and at times the smell and taste of the water is awful. :huh:

Being blonde I have to use a shampoo to ensure that the chlorine doesn&#39;t turn my hair green&#33; :rolleyes:

So would i drink the water? Somehow it just doesn&#39;t appeal to me... ;)

Keikan
01-25-2004, 12:47 PM
What about boiling your tap water and then chilling it? Is that better than bottled spring water?

Ya all water here is flouridenated

UKMan
01-25-2004, 12:52 PM
@bigboab - i reckon its a 50 - 50 thing right now :lol:

Anyways, keeping on-topic:

I also lived in the countryside at one point when i was in the UK, the only "fresh" water we had was a spring that came from a field nearbye... the water used to trickle down to a corner and form this little stream. It tasted marvelous, but in the beginning we all had problems, tummy upsets and such, but after a few days, we got used to it and our stomaches built up some kind of resistence to the "different" bacteria.

But i guess brown water from the taps you will never get used to... urghh&#33;

Peace
UKMan

shn
01-25-2004, 12:59 PM
http://www.mind-like-water.com/Liberty_Ashore/LA_Articles/Images/Dont_Drink_Text.gif

Its evil http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/o/vampsmilie.gif

Just kiddin...........all this talk about water is making me thirsty.

Think Ill settle for kool-aid.:P

Honey
01-25-2004, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Keikan@25 January 2004 - 19:47
What about boiling your tap water and then chilling it? Is that better than bottled spring water?

I actually have a water filter connected to my tap ... its cheaper than bottled water over the lifespan of the filter :)

doesnt help with the green hair though&#33;.. :o

Samurai
01-25-2004, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Honey+25 January 2004 - 12:01--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Honey @ 25 January 2004 - 12:01)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Keikan@25 January 2004 - 19:47

I actually have a water filter connected to my tap ... its cheaper than bottled water over the lifespan of the filter :)

doesnt help with the green hair though&#33;.. :o [/b][/quote]
Same here. I got 2 filters though. One in the celler, where it comes straight out of the mains, and another just below the sink. I can&#39;t tell the difference&#33;

Honey
01-25-2004, 01:10 PM
We dont have cellars here and the water mains pipes are unable to be "got to" Samuri, so i can&#39;t have more than one.

The water board has to come out every month in summer to flush the main water pipes to get rid of the chemical buildup, but its really not enough.

:)

MagicNakor
01-25-2004, 01:12 PM
I can&#39;t drink the water where I&#39;m at, unless I&#39;m making tea. Almost every day is a boil-water advisory. Sometimes these things last over a fortnight. And while I&#39;ve never had it personally, quite a few people here have had Beaver Fever. Yes, it&#39;s caused by beavers.

You should see it when the spring and fall runoffs come around. Nice and brown. Sometimes even black. And not just from the taps, oh no. It&#39;s the rivers too. Not pollution mind, it&#39;s dirt from the mountains and forests. ;) Not "mud river" quality, but enough you can tell a fairly rapid river is yellow.

There isn&#39;t any water filtration system. ;) It&#39;s well below governmental health standards. So it&#39;ll be upgraded...eventually.

Boilt tap water just doesn&#39;t taste "right."

:ninja:

shn
01-25-2004, 01:12 PM
Water filters work pretty good..................they need to put em on all public water fountains and sinks.

Pain is having to change the filter all the time. Depending on how much water you actually use, that can vary.

Samurai
01-25-2004, 01:13 PM
I guess I&#39;m just over cautious anyway. One should be enough anyway.

Have to change both every 6 months anyway so it gets expensive lol (cheaper than buying bottled though) ;)

DanB
01-25-2004, 01:13 PM
Where I used to live the water used to be so &#39;hard&#39; that when you had a shower it would turn your skin scaly :(

Definitely not the stuff for drinking <_<

Samurai
01-25-2004, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by danb@25 January 2004 - 12:13
Where I used to live the water used to be so &#39;hard&#39; that when you had a shower it would turn your skin scaly :(

Definitely not the stuff for drinking <_<
Did you look like this after?

http://ewancient.lysator.liu.se/pic/loth/k/r/krissy/oekakidragon.jpg

DanB
01-25-2004, 01:22 PM
Something similar :lol: :lol:

Had to smother yourself in body lotion afterwards :ph34r: Very worrying :P

wolverine_x
01-25-2004, 01:53 PM
I live in the West of Scotland, and the tap water where i am tastes better than anywhere i&#39;ve tasted it in England, or other parts of Scotland for that matter. We don&#39;t have a need for anything like limescale removers etc.

This is not to say that the water is totally clean. In general it is, but there have been a few outbreaks of disease-causing germs spread in very localised areas due to the age of the water system. This was in the news fairly recently.

It is somewhat of an urban myth, but not too far from the truth when it is said that Scotland has some of the best water in the world.

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
01-25-2004, 02:24 PM
;) Tap Water.Its all the same.Sorry...but it is.If God wants me to die from Drinking Water then I guess he had his Reasons.

I don&#39;t know.I just do not think about it. :D

:P And I am thankfull for that.Ever have your Water cut off?It sucks. :P

MagicNakor
01-25-2004, 02:52 PM
Sure have. When the pipe to the house broke from the water pressure. <_< Now I&#39;ve got a huge hole in my once-nice front yard. And it&#39;s still not entirely fixed.

:ninja:

Keikan
01-25-2004, 11:57 PM
I heard distilled water leeches nutrients is this true? So still is bottled water any good?

Busyman
01-26-2004, 12:05 AM
I filter my water with Rainsoft. It&#39;s about the size of a small water heater.

That&#39;s the end of it.

I didn&#39;t buy bottled water years ago and I&#39;m not buying it now.
Spring water...........what a joke. :lol: :lol:

Spend the money on a undersink filter or pitcher filter, pour it into a bottle or a number of bottles and call it day.

We waste money on dumb shit and thus create whole new unnecessary markets.

Spider_dude
01-26-2004, 01:14 AM
my favourite type of water is partially disassociated de-ionised water. mmmmm.

Busyman
01-26-2004, 01:18 AM
If I want my water to have flavor, I&#39;ll add Kool-Aid.

hobbes
01-26-2004, 01:20 AM
I only drink those fancy flavoured waters.

http://www.brouczech.com/images/beer%20pos%20038.jpg

kaiweiler
01-26-2004, 02:53 AM
I can&#39;t drink water...i&#39;m alergic

:lol: that would be awesome seeing as my body is made up of mostly water&#33;
I know i dont drink 8-10 glass though, thats a fact
I drink about 2L of milk a day though :01:

FunkyDawg76
01-26-2004, 02:57 AM
Hey guys, you notice that we spend more for a gallon of water than on a gallon of gasoline these days?

Keikan
01-26-2004, 06:31 AM
Maybe I&#39;ll go get a Britta filter