PDA

View Full Version : New Re-writer Problem

Cenobite
01-25-2004, 06:28 PM
I've just bought and installed a new Optorite CD-RW CW5205 52x24x52x Re-writer from Novatech.co.uk and I am already having problems with it.

I've burnt a few audio CD's using either Nero 6.3.0.2 or Roxio Easy CD 6 and I thought that they had burnt OK, but when I came to play the CD's only the first couple of Tracks play and then I get a track which 'jumps' and the rest of the album after this track is blank (these are not dodgy RIAA mp3's btw, they are ripped from albums).

I decided to try writing the albums again, thinking mabye that I wrote them too fast (40x). So using Nero I wrote a CD again at 16x and got an error message 'burn failed'. So I tried Easy CD at 16x and got another error message 'spindle servo error'.

Now every time I try to burn a CD it will get about half-way and then stops responding (I have to restart system). I've tried uninstalling the writer and then reinstalling it, but same problems.

Is it a faulty writer? :( Please help!

tesco
01-25-2004, 06:33 PM
try updating hte aspi drivers, i beleive u can get them at adaptec.com. and also, what is the setup of the drives on your ide channels

tell us:

-primary-
master:
slave:

-secondary-
master:
slave:

and go into device manager and make sure dma is eneabled for the ide chanel with teh drive on it.

edit: oh and have you tried using any other brand of cd-r's? it could just be incompatible media.

Cenobite
01-25-2004, 07:02 PM
Thanks for the quick reply Rossco_2004.

Here is the setup in my BIOS of the drives:

-primary-
master: MAXTOR 6E030L0
slave: None

-secondary-
master: JLMS XJ-HD166S (Liteon DVD ROM)
secondary: OPTORITE CD-RW CW5205

I have just downloaded aspi drivers ver. 4.71 (is this the correct one? - I'm using Win XP Pro - service pack 1)

And I have been using a variety of CDR's and CDRW's > 'SKY', 'Mr. Data', 'Imation'

Abouth the DMA mode - sorry for being such a NOOB - I have clicked on the properties of the Writer in the DEvice Manager but cannot find any option to turn DMA on or off

tesco
01-25-2004, 07:06 PM
oh thats ok i couldnt find it either when i first started using xp, its in teh ide ata\atapi controllers section, double click the primary and go to advanced settings then make sure it says dma if available for both parts, then same for secondary.

Cenobite
01-25-2004, 07:09 PM
Got it! - Yes they all say DMA if available

Just installed the aspi drivers and it appears to have worked - just wrote 3 albums using Easy CD and Nero with no problems. Thanks ROSSCO. good work fella! :D

tesco
01-25-2004, 10:04 PM
yay! im so happy i helped someone.

Cenobite
01-30-2004, 05:27 PM
I spoke too soon&#33; After a few more burns I got the error message back &#39;Spindle Servo Error&#39; FUCK&#33; Will have to send it back to the supplier to get checked out&#33; <_<

Cenobite
02-14-2004, 02:14 AM
OK I got the writer replaced but I am now having problems with the new writer (an artec wrr 52z)

When burning an audio CD with Nero 6 I got the error message:
Invalid Field Command

And then when I tried to burn a .CUE image using Alcohol I got the following error message:
[Write ERROR] LBA: 327936, Length: 16
S:KEY - 03/0C/00 - "Write Error

Again I have used different brands of CDR&#39;s and wrote at different speeds. I have updated the aspi drivers to the latest release. If I put back my old writer (a Samsung 16x) then I get no errors.

Have I been unlucky twice or is there something I am missing? :huh:

callum
02-14-2004, 02:25 AM
Alot of people seem to have problems when they have nero and roxio and nero installed. It may be a good idea to try and unistalling one of them.