PDA

View Full Version : Censorship And Deleting Of Threads

muchspl2
01-25-2004, 07:59 PM
I had a thread earlier today that quoted a tv show
it was lock cause someone complained it could be taken as raciest, well it came from a person of color, and it was a parody of racism
but it was locked as it was against forum rules but just recently it was completely deleted
I think this was a unfair move and a complete abuse of power whoever deleted it all together
its one thing to lock it, but deleting it sucks cause it seem one sided
why completely delete it let people make up there on minds

4th gen
01-25-2004, 08:02 PM
You could have said "view this topic if you do not mind apparently satirical racism". However, you just dropped it down in the middle of the topic, not letting people use their own discretion

Knight Rider
01-25-2004, 08:03 PM
I have once been racially abused. The stupid Ford ate my grappling hook.

newcster68
01-25-2004, 08:03 PM
Im definately not racist but 95% of the time you have someone complain, well, it's gonna be a person of different color. That's all I will make a comment on.

Peace

FatBastard
01-25-2004, 08:04 PM
Are you sure it was deleted? Post it again and see&#33; <_<

internet.news
01-25-2004, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by muchspl2@25 January 2004 - 20:59

(Added: Quote myself? Or you?)

As you are just human like we all, am I? posts should not be deleted.

I understand why it has been deleted, but each thought counts.

muchspl2
01-25-2004, 08:06 PM
but it was completely deleted
let people make up there own minds, not just your right and I was wrong
if nothing else let it be what not to post apparently it was destine for a flame war
according to POL
but no one in the thread complained, but of coarse you can&#39;t see it cause it was deleted

Mad Cat
01-25-2004, 08:07 PM
Remember, this board isn&#39;t a democracy.

Anyway, if it was going to be hurtful to somebody in someway, it doesn&#39;t really deserve to be here.

vidcc
01-25-2004, 08:09 PM
was it the one about Bill Gates being knocked down the top 100 earners?

muchspl2
01-25-2004, 08:09 PM
yes
but its my contention it wasn&#39;t hurtful to anyone, but apparently it was, but it shouldn&#39;t have been deleted
wtf

:sp

Afronaut
01-25-2004, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by muchspl2@25 January 2004 - 22:06
but no one in the thread complained, but of coarse you can&#39;t see it cause it was deleted
4xsam did report it

clicky clicky (http://filesharingtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=96106)

does that count as complain?

what you think?

:cool2:

vidcc
01-25-2004, 08:12 PM
well let that be a lesson.....NEVER pick on Bill Gates :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

muchspl2
01-25-2004, 08:14 PM
so it got completely deleted
now its just I&#39;m the raciest no one should make up there own mind cause the powers that be made it up for you
un-delete the thread if you want people to know why I&#39;m bitching

muchspl2
01-25-2004, 08:26 PM
http://members.cox.net/muchspl2/censorship.html

hobbes
01-25-2004, 08:27 PM
The reported quote was part of a joke from the Dave Chapelle Show

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/tv/cable2.jpg

As you can see from his own promo Dave Chapelle really likes to tackle the black/white racism topic.

And BTW, he is hysterical.

It was a black man talking about his black wife.

So he divorced her because she loved him. Irony 101.

The statement offended me at first until I realized the source. I doubt many people got the reference.

This is typical of muchspl to push the limits of acceptable behavior.

I don&#39;t think the thread should disappear, way too much censorship. Why not delete every thread in which people spout, "stupid Americans"&#33;

muchspl2
01-25-2004, 08:30 PM
thank you

4th gen
01-25-2004, 08:33 PM
Perhaps your sig should read "Censorship, the deleting of threads and bullshit drama". That reads better than currently, imo

muchspl2
01-25-2004, 08:35 PM
good idea

hobbes
01-25-2004, 08:38 PM
Episode 101

Dave Chappelle (who is black) plays America&#39;s most vicious blind white supremacist and unveils racy "bootie" videos starring Nat King Cole.

internet.news
01-25-2004, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by muchspl2@25 January 2004 - 21:35
good idea
That is the only way, to keep up deleted topics, but it would be nice if all the images would load properly ;)

I think as 7th said one time, deleted topics go into some Trash Section, maybe...

Rip The Jacker
01-25-2004, 09:01 PM
It seems that the thread was deleted by a mod because you posted a racist remark. Even though its from a TV show, it might have offended members, and infact was reported, locking it was fair IMO.

I also find deleting the thread fair, whats the point in locking it? Members can still view the thread when its locked, and might be offended by that remark. Just because it was said on TV doesn&#39;t mean its OK. It was either editing the racist remark, and locking the thread, or deleting the thread.

EDIT: Also, if you have a problem with a mods decision, PM him and talk it over, instead of posting publicly.

muchspl2
01-25-2004, 09:07 PM
I&#39;m dropping it as I don&#39;t hold a grudge
but I will leave it in my sig so people can see how "raciest" I am :D

hobbes
01-25-2004, 09:09 PM
I agree that the lack of context might have caused people to react to it.

Given the context of the show, as I have explained, the comment is NOT at all meant to be racist, but was actually ironic humor.

When people state "stupid Americans" or their sig reads "I hate stupid Americans", this is not ironic humor, it is blatant racism, but this goes unchecked.

We are dealing with a double standard here.

Rip The Jacker
01-25-2004, 09:11 PM
Well... I&#39;d hate to tell you this, but you have to make the link in your sig smaller. The board rules say the max allowed is 495 x 150 images and text. Well the text in your sig is around 790 pixels wide. :rolleyes:

4th gen
01-25-2004, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by hobbes@25 January 2004 - 20:09
When people state "stupid Americans" or their sig reads "I hate stupid Americans", this is not ironic humor, it is blatant racism, but this goes unchecked.
NOT Racism, Nationalism

hobbes
01-25-2004, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by KrackHead2k@25 January 2004 - 22:11
Well... I&#39;d hate to tell you this, but you have to make the link in your sig smaller. The board rules say the max allowed is 495 x 150 images and text. Well the text in your sig is around 790 pixels wide. :rolleyes:
Address the issue, don&#39;t talk about signatures. You can pixel count avatars and sigs all you want, lets deal with the real issues.

UKMan
01-25-2004, 09:16 PM
I&#39;m still trying to find the common denominator between Bill Gates and the top 100 richest people/this tv show. I have no idea whatsoever what show you are referring to.

Maybe if the thread had given more info on this from the start, plus the fact that the quotes were from a tv show, it might have turned out different. But just throwing out racial remarks without any kind of explanation to peeps who have no clue what you are talking about, i can undertsand fully why it was deleted.

Maybe some forethought on what people post in the future is needed. Not everyome sees these shows others do and not everyone has the same kind of humour apparantly.

Just a thought B)

I also find it refreshing that the Mods at least take a stand and take action when they decide is needed. Someone said earlier, that this board is not a democracy - i beg to differ. It has rules, these rules are governed by what normal people accept as standards. This is after all a file sharing community and as such there is no place for anything else than respectable and normal exchange of views.

Peace
UKMan

Yogi
01-25-2004, 09:19 PM
But aren&#39;t amercans stupid????

Along with 90 % of humanity?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yogi

sharedholder
01-25-2004, 09:19 PM
I don&#39;t know what the hell is hapenend again , i just readed the topic title and i have just a litlle wish : STOP censoring this forum , i see a lot of topic like this in the last time , ok one closed thread is a case or a must, two ok, three ok , but almoust everyday i see the same topics on this board.Why my thread was closed ? Censorhip f***g mods, etc.Just uselles bulshit, we are members you are mods , rewrite that rules again if nedeed but make that damn PEACE. This forum is going down everyday.Start to be more tolerant and maybe we can still see this forum growing like in the past.

Cheers -SH-

7thElement
01-25-2004, 09:25 PM
Topic still exists but it&#39;s in the trashcan

http://filesharingtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=96100

Guess some mod moved it cause it was reported :)

DivineBeingX
01-25-2004, 09:29 PM
saying the N word on the board is really offensive for example a black person may read your topic and read through it and say it was offensive because it invovles the n word no matter if its in a funny sitution or negative sitution. I Think all Americans are stupid topic was not reported to the Mods i dont think so but that topic was not a races topic but a national topic as a matter of fact and didnt degrade the Americans

muchspl2
01-25-2004, 09:30 PM
Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don&#39;t know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.

The error returned was:

You do not have permission to view this topic

pol
01-25-2004, 09:30 PM
so now everyone&#39;s making their own parodies

just to clear things up here i locked the original thread and i would do the same again. i couldnt care less who deleted it, its not important.

what is, is that it was against the rules of posting here, and funnily enough not everyones heard of the &#39;chapelle show&#39;. it wasnt obvious to me at first that it was quoted from somewhere else, so theres a chance that someone might be offended by it.

i have nothing against muchspl2, but it was&#39;nt even clear that it was a &#39;parody&#39; at first. i saw it as another test of the rules, then when quized about it - we&#39;d get to learn that it was a &#39;parody&#39; so i locked it before it turned in to another pissing contest.

@hobbes, i&#39;ve never noticed anyones sig saying that or anything like it, if i do then i&#39;ll remove it

hobbes
01-25-2004, 09:32 PM
Threads should be locked, but not deleted. Full stop.

If you want to "cool" one off, give it an ice-cube instead of removing it.

Edit within the thread for offensive content, but don&#39;t remove the thread.

Double standards should not be employed. Full stop.

4th gen
01-25-2004, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by pol@25 January 2004 - 20:30
@hobbes, i&#39;ve never noticed anyones sig saying that or anything like it, if i do then i&#39;ll remove it
My sig used to be be "I hate stupid Americans". I changed it (after being asked to do so by a mod) to "I hate stupid Americans equally as much as I hate all other stupid people"

hobbes
01-25-2004, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by DivineBeingX@25 January 2004 - 22:29
saying the N word on the board is really offensive for example a black person may read your topic and read through it and say it was offensive because it invovles the n word no matter if its in a funny sitution or negative sitution. I Think all Americans are stupid topic was not reported to the Mods i dont think so but that topic was not a races topic but a national topic as a matter of fact and didnt degrade the Americans
Hate is hate, whether you label it racism or nationalism.

The comments made were superficially racist to make a deeper point.

The true meaning of the joke was that "people are people, color is irrelevant".

A blind black man is the most vicious white supremacist. Doesn&#39;t anyone get that?

The real problem and why I supported locking the thread is that this bigger context was not known to the average reader.

Perhaps if Much were given a chance to explain this misunderstanding before it was deleted, we would not be here now.

bigboab
01-25-2004, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by pol@25 January 2004 - 21:30
I have noticed this type of remark on a few occasions. I actually mentioned this fact in an earlier thread today.

muchspl2
01-25-2004, 09:42 PM
why would I "test" the rules
there was a misunderstanding as to direct links and index pages of links etc
but that was cleared up and over with, I don&#39;t go out of my way for anyone/forum
but when I witness something thats not right I will speak my mind
true I should have framed it different in the post but I didn&#39;t get the chance
just seems unfair censorship to completely delete the thread and I posted the cache on my web space to show what a "raciest" I am
ridiculous
its the #1 show on comedy channel and the highest ratings ever for comedy channel surpassing all south park episodes

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
01-25-2004, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by muchspl2@25 January 2004 - 16:42
its the #1 show on comedy channel and the highest ratings ever for comedy channel surpassing all south park episodes
:P No way dude.I want to see some Stats. :P

hobbes
01-25-2004, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by bigboab+25 January 2004 - 22:41--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bigboab &#064; 25 January 2004 - 22:41)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-pol@25 January 2004 - 21:30
I have noticed this type of remark on a few occasions. I actually mentioned this fact in an earlier thread today.[/b][/quote]
Yes, you did and it was bloody brilliant post. We are here to erase the limitations of geographic separation and come together as a global community, not to erect barriers along nationalistic lines.

The greatest perpetuator of prejudice is ignorance. Here we have a chance to know people from all over the world and discuss topics as people, one-on-one.

7thElement
01-25-2004, 09:47 PM
Again: The topic is NOT deleted. It was moved into our trash can by one of our moderators. I had a look at the topic and I guess I would do the same as it looks very disrespectful.

The post doesnt mention at all that it is a joke and could lead to flaming / attacks. Therefor the area spam is acceptable.

muchspl2
01-25-2004, 09:48 PM
More Viewers (P18-49) Watched The Premiere Of "Chappelle&#39;s Show"
Than Any Other Series Premiere In COMEDY CENTRAL History
2.1 HH Marks The Highest Rated Series Premiere For A Comedy Central Original Series
Since 2001&#39;s "That&#39;s My Bush&#33;"

NEW YORK, January 23, 2003 -- COMEDY CENTRAL&#39;s January 22 series premiere of "Chappelle&#39;s Show" registered a 2.1 HH rating (2.5 million viewers), making it the highest rated series premiere for the all-comedy network since 2001&#39;s "That&#39;s My Bush&#33;"
More impressively, "Chappelle&#39;s Show" was watched by more viewers P18-49 than any series premiere in COMEDY CENTRAL&#39;s history (2.1 P18-49 Rating = 2.1 million viewers, 83% of the total audience) and is the only series for the network that has ever built on the "South Park" lead-in in this key demographic (+33%).

Additionally, "Chappelle&#39;s Show" outperformed the prior six-week time period average in P18-49 by +154%. The leading demographic for the premiere was M18-24, which recorded a staggering 6.2 rating (640,000 viewers).

"Chappelle&#39;s Show" airs Wednesdays at 10:30 p.m.** and repeats later that night at 12:30 a.m., Fridays at 12:30 a.m., Saturdays at 1:30 a.m. and Sundays at 10:30 p.m.

The critically acclaimed series takes Chappelle&#39;s own personal joke book and brings it to life, with episodes consisting of sketches, man-on-the-street pieces and pop culture parodies introduced by Dave in a stand-up format in front of a studio audience. Chappelle&#39;s unique point-of-view on the world provides a hilarious, defiant and sometimes dangerous look at American culture, including music, movies, television, advertising, current events and everyday life situations.

The series, co-created and co-written by Neal Brennan (who previously collaborated with Chappelle on the classic comedy, "Half Baked"), also features top musical guests, including Busta Rhymes, Fat Joe, The Roots, GZA, Killer Mike and Slum Village, performing at innovative locations such as rooftops, parks and piers. "Chappelle&#39;s Show" was created by Dave Chappelle and Neal Brennan who, along with Michelle Armour, serve as the executive producers. Jessi Klein and Lou Wallach are the executives in charge of production for COMEDY CENTRAL.

COMEDY CENTRAL, the only all-comedy network, currently is seen in more than 82 million homes nationwide. COMEDY CENTRAL is owned by Comedy Partners, a 50-50 joint venture of Time Warner Entertainment Company and Viacom. COMEDY CENTRAL is a registered trademark of Comedy Partners. COMEDY CENTRAL&#39;s Internet address is http://www.comedycentral.com.

http://www.comedycentral.com/tv_shows/chappellesshow/

DivineBeingX
01-25-2004, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by hobbes+25 January 2004 - 21:37--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (hobbes @ 25 January 2004 - 21:37)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-DivineBeingX@25 January 2004 - 22:29
Hate is hate, whether you label it racism or nationalism.

The comments made were superficially racist to make a deeper point.

The true meaning of the joke was that "people are people, color is irrelevant".

A blind black man is the most vicious white supremacist. Doesn&#39;t anyone get that?

The real problem and why I supported locking the thread is that this bigger context was not known to the average reader.

Perhaps if Much were given a chance to explain this misunderstanding before it was deleted, we would not be here now. [/b][/quote]
the real problem is racism,you dont understanding the sitution here, you dont understand that most people dont watch or never heard of the chappel show. If a member of this board quotes or states a races comment and complain that his thread is lock for no apparent reason then he should think about were he stands in this world. Just think about if everybody quotes somebody who says the N word this whole board would be in flame wars. You just cant say the N word and aspect to get away with it.

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
01-25-2004, 09:56 PM
:angry: That mother****er thinks he can hurt South Park like that&#33; :angry:

4th gen
01-25-2004, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by hobbes@25 January 2004 - 20:47
Yes, you did and it was bloody brilliant post. We are here to erase the limitations of geographic separation and come together as a global community, not to erect barriers along nationalistic lines.

The greatest perpetuator of prejudice is ignorance. Here we have a chance to know people from all over the world and discuss topics as people, one-on-one.
Hence your comments against Scotland make you a hypocrite?

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
01-25-2004, 10:00 PM
Sheila: Time&#39;s have changed
Our kids are kids are getting worse
They wont obey their parents
They just want to fart and curse&#33;
Sharon: Should we blame the government?
Liane: Or blame society?
Dads: Or should we blame the images on TV?
Sheila: No, blame Canada
Everyone: Blame Canada
Sheila: With all their beady little eyes
And flappin heads so full of lies
Blame Canada
Sheila: We need to form a full assault
Everyone: It&#39;s Canadas fault&#33;
Sharon: Don&#39;t blame me
For my son Stan
He saw the darn cartoon
And now he&#39;s off to join the Klan&#33;
Liane: And my boy Eric once
Had my picture on his shelf
But now when I see him he tells me to fuck myself&#33;
Sheila: Well, blame Canada
It seems that everythings gone wrong
Since Canada came along
Blame Canada
Copy Guy: There not even a real country anyway
Ms. McCormick: My son could&#39;ve been a doctor or a lawyer rich and true
Instead he burned up like a piggy on a barbecue
Everyone: Should we blame the matches?
Should we blame the fire?
Or the doctors who allowed him to expire?
Sheila: Heck no&#33;
Blame Canada
Sheila: With all their hockey hubbabaloo
Liane: And that bitch Anne Murray too
Shame on Canada
The smut we must stop
The trash we must smash
Laughter and fun
must all be undone
We must blame them and cause a fuss
Before someone thinks of blaming uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuus

hobbes
01-25-2004, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by 4th gen+25 January 2004 - 22:56--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (4th gen &#064; 25 January 2004 - 22:56)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-hobbes@25 January 2004 - 20:47

Hence your comments against Scotland make you a hypocrite? [/b][/quote]
Since I have never made any, I would say, no.

Yes, I know what quote you will attempt to find and when we analyze it, you will find that my comments bore on my attempt to characterize you and not Scottish people in general.

LSA
01-25-2004, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by hobbes@25 January 2004 - 15:09
I agree that the lack of context might have caused people to react to it.
I agree, taken out of context it could be offensive

Probably should of been locked if it was offending people i guess...

:unsure:

Rip The Jacker
01-25-2004, 10:15 PM
The thread is in the Lounge, without the racist remark.

An agreement with muchspl2 has been made, this will stop now.

EDIT: Please don&#39;t give the mods a hard time, we are just trying to do our jobs.