PDA

View Full Version : For Hobbes

4th gen
01-25-2004, 10:21 PM
http://filesharingtalk.com/index.php?showt...45&#entry834133 (http://filesharingtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=96150&st=45&#entry834133)

Originally posted by hobbes
Why ask the retarded boy his opinion, nobody cares
Nobody hates the retarded boy, sympathy is more likely.
http://filesharingtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=87753&st=15

watch the trees on the way down, parachute boy ;)

hobbes
01-25-2004, 10:37 PM
Sorry, my comments reflected the influence of Scotland as a global power and bore no relection on the intelligence of the individual Scot, nor expressed an ounce of hatred.

Some my consider the wording harsh, but consider that it came after much provacation. Again, like the locked thread, you are omitting the context.

From me:

Why ask the retarded boy his opinion, nobody cares.

Now, I really don't mean that cruelly, but in the international stage, what influence does Scotland have? It is seen as a bunch of drunks wearing kilts and rioting at soccer matches.

Since my ancestors are Scottish, I know that is crap, but I am giving you the general opinion.

Nobody hates the retarded boy, sympathy is more likely.

I think the greater the international influence a country has, the greater the scrutiny and critcism. I will openly admit we have major faults politcally, no questions asked. I just want to be considered as a person, not lumped into some stereotype.

I thank you for linking the thread, I encourage everyone to read the entire content.

And don't forget this post: Ok, I admit defeat. (http://filesharingtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=87753&view=findpost&p=735140)

Hypocrite, no.

hobbes
01-25-2004, 10:43 PM
Hobbes responding to bigboab

Yes, you did and it was bloody brilliant post. We are here to erase the limitations of geographic separation and come together as a global community, not to erect barriers along nationalistic lines.

The greatest perpetuator of prejudice is ignorance. Here we have a chance to know people from all over the world and discuss topics as people, one-on-one.

This is a post a made, and he is attempting to distort a single post to characterize me as a hypocrite.

I let my record stand.

4th gen
01-25-2004, 10:43 PM
Sorry, my comments reflected the influence of Scotland as a global power and bore no relection on the intelligence of the individual Scot, nor expressed an ounce of hatred.

Some my consider the wording harsh, but consider that it came after much provacation.  Again, like the locked thread, you are omitting the context.

so you consider "much provication" (e.g. a lively debate) to be sufficient grounds for comparing scotland to a retard?

And don't forget this post: Ok, I admit defeat. (http://filesharingtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=87753&view=findpost&p=735140)

Hypocrite, no.

the defeat i was admitting was that scotland had little influence on the world stage

hobbes
01-25-2004, 10:49 PM
That was my point. Scotland has no influence on the world stage, I made an analogy.

4th gen
01-25-2004, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by hobbes@25 January 2004 - 21:49
That was my point. Scotland has no influence on the world stage, I made an analogy.
By comparing Scotland to a retarted boy?

hobbes
01-25-2004, 10:57 PM
This is my point:

We are here (on this forum) to erase the limitations of geographic separation and come together as a global community, not to erect barriers along nationalistic lines.

The greatest perpetuator of prejudice is ignorance. Here we have a chance to know people from all over the world and discuss topics as people, one-on-one.

I have no anger, disrespect, or agenda against our forum members from Scotland. With you being an open "nationalist", I see you as a hinderance.

I will let my record stand.

chalice
01-26-2004, 09:49 AM
Take down the Union Jack, it clashes with the sunset
And ask our Scottish neighbours if independence looks any good
'Cos they just might understand how to take an abstract notion
Of personal identity and turn it into nationhood
Is this the 19th century that I'm watching on tv?
The dear old Queen of England handing out those MBEs
Member of the British Empire - that doesn't sound too good to me
Billy Bragg.

A lot of people in the European community do not compare the Scottish to retards.
Rather, slipping those English bonds and regaining independence is to be admired more than pitied.

bigboab
01-26-2004, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by chalice@26 January 2004 - 09:49
Take down the Union Jack, it clashes with the sunset
And ask our Scottish neighbours if independence looks any good
'Cos they just might understand how to take an abstract notion
Of personal identity and turn it into nationhood
Is this the 19th century that I'm watching on tv?
The dear old Queen of England handing out those MBEs
Member of the British Empire - that doesn't sound too good to me
Billy Bragg.

I lot of people in the European community do not compare the Scottish to retards.
Rather, slipping those English bonds and regaining independence is to be admired more than pitied.
Chalice! The people of Scotland will get independence. It may take a while but the opportunity is there every time that there are elections to the Scottish Parliament.
If the people of Scotland dont vote for it then it means that they do not want it at the present moment. I personally dont know why this is the case. But I will stand by their decision.

If the Republic of Ireland can survive as a nation, not just survive but prosper then I do not see why Scotland can not do the same. On this point I would love to see a United Ireland and see the whole island prosper as it deserves to do.

Britain at the moment has become the dumping ground of Europe. The sooner Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland 'get out' the better it will be for them in the long run. If this happens, hopefully it would wake up England and return her to the once great nation that she was.

The most recent 'European' decisison to dump neuclear waste in Scotland defies explanation. Here is one of the smallest countries in Europe and in their wisdom they have decided to dump this toxic waste in one of the most densely populated areas(As a whole) of Scotland.

chalice
01-26-2004, 10:38 AM
Thanks for that BB.

Just another thrashing for the whipping boy is what it seems like to me. I'm surprised there's not more of a furore over that waste dumping issue.

We preserve and adore relics of hatred in the museums but our beautiful lands are there for the pissing.

bigboab
01-26-2004, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by chalice@26 January 2004 - 10:38
Thanks for that BB.

Just another thrashing for the whipping boy is what it seems like to me. I'm surprised there's not more of a furore over that waste dumping issue.

We preserve and adore relics of hatred in the museums but our beautiful lands are there for the pissing.
I remember when a neuclear waste dumping site was designated for Lincolnshire. It was sometime in the mid eighties. The site chosen was about three miles from the home of the sitting(And still sitting, I think) MP, Douglas Hogg. He actually voted for the proposals. At the following general election, despite this dumping issue having been raised, Mr Hogg was returned as MP with a massive 30,000 majority, or something similar. This is one of the reasons I am against party politics. If you stood a pig as a Conservative in that area they would be elected. ( Come to think of it a pig would be popular in that area. :lol: ) The same thing applies to Labour candidates in other areas.

chalice
01-26-2004, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by bigboab+26 January 2004 - 11:14--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bigboab @ 26 January 2004 - 11:14)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-chalice@26 January 2004 - 10:38
Thanks for that BB.

Just another thrashing for the whipping boy is what it seems like to me. I&#39;m surprised there&#39;s not more of a furore over that waste dumping issue.

I remember when a neuclear waste dumping site was designated for Lincolnshire. It was sometime in the mid eighties. The site chosen was about three miles from the home of the sitting(And still sitting, I think) MP, Douglas Hogg. He actually voted for the proposals. At the following general election, despite this dumping issue having been raised, Mr Hogg was returned as MP with a massive 30,000 majority, or something similar. This is one of the reasons I am against party politics. If you stood a pig as a Conservative in that area they would be elected. ( Come to think of it a pig would be popular in that area. :lol: ) The same thing applies to Labour candidates in other areas. [/b][/quote]
It&#39;s the same the world throughout, BB.

What gets me is when people are presented with this armada of promises only to refuse it for the devil they know.

I ask you, Boab... Ian Paisley??? Now leader of the most powerful party in NI politics?? :frusty: :frusty:

bigboab
01-26-2004, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by chalice@26 January 2004 - 11:24
I ask you, Boab... Ian Paisley??? Now leader of the most powerful party in NI politics?? :frusty: :frusty:
Unfortunately dogma and religion go hand in hand.

J'Pol
01-26-2004, 10:18 PM
There are various issues now devolved to the Scottish Executive.

These include Law and Order, Education and Health as I understand the situation.

If we deal with these matters for ourselves, which we do, then there is no reason why we could not prosper within the EU in the same way as The Republic of Ireland does.

As to someone comparing me to a retard because of my nationality. In all honesty that reflects more on them than it does on me.

Yogi
01-26-2004, 11:02 PM
J&#39;Pol:

In all honesty that reflects more on them than it does on me.

Chapeau&#33;&#33; :P

Yogi

Biggles
01-26-2004, 11:40 PM
I did not see the original debate so am loathe to comment.

However, Hobbes has always displayed a balanced sense of irony in his posts and it would seem to me that to pillory him for one analogy that may have gone a little astray is perhaps harsh. His clarification above seemed fair and reasonable. It distresses me when olive branches are treated as scourges.

I think it is only fair to note that US members of this board take a lot stick; often despite being as clearly unhappy with their administration as others might be. I know I would not have been happy being blamed for the utterances of Mrs. T simply because I came from the UK.

I am a Scot and could not imagine being anything else. I also usually vote Nationalist - as they seem more sane than most (an extremely relative concept I know).

Scottish Nationalism tends to buck the more common political pitfalls usually associated with this creed. I particularly identify with the idea they embody that Scotland is a state of being, not some sort of genetic hurdle. I was much amused when they chastised a young member by suspending her from the party for a couple of years for writing anti-English slogans on a bridge. As she is German and had only lived here a couple of years they didn&#39;t want to be too harsh, just tone down her enthusiasm. :D

Just a few jottings from the fringes :blink:

chalice
01-26-2004, 11:47 PM
I&#39;m not too sure Hobbes was pilloried. I take his point after a fashion.

Politics aside, I can&#39;t see how that unfortunate analogy was in any way separate from those stomach-churning "Special Olympics" stfu images.

Anyway, Hobbes still rocks. (I&#39;m sure he&#39;s relieved to read that :rolleyes: )

J'Pol
01-26-2004, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by chalice@27 January 2004 - 00:47
I&#39;m not too sure Hobbes was pilloried. I take his point after a fashion.

Politics aside, I can&#39;t see how that unfortunate analogy was in any way separate from those stomach-churning "Special Olympics" stfu images.

Anyway, Hobbes still rocks. (I&#39;m sure he&#39;s relieved to read that :rolleyes: )
I can rarely totally agree with a post.

This is a notable exception, thanks for that.

You have saved me a lot of effort.

hobbes
01-27-2004, 12:59 AM
It is gratifying to feel teh love from those who might have felt personally attacked. I appreciate your ability to understand that the analogy was simply a bit harsh. Considering the number of posts I have exchanged with all the Scottish ilk and my own watered down Scottish blood, it would seem strange that I had been thinking you all "retarded", all this time.

I really made an effort to emphasize an analogy that reflected comparative military strengths between the two countries and was removed from labeling the individual Scot.

I think it is quite clear that I was not calling Scottish people retarded, but I think the use of that word and where it hit people emotionally blurred this distinction to some.

At any rate, my intention was not offend any of my Scottish friends, if I did anyway, I apologise.

If it is on your agenda to see my post as "Scottish hating", Chapeau. I wouldn&#39;t want to let reality tarnish your delusion.

J'Pol
01-27-2004, 01:24 AM
I think it only fair to point out that 2 generations ago my blood was entirely Irish. All four grandparents born and bred there.

My granny (known as Sally to young and old alike, I called her nothing else) who lived with us till her dying day, was in service on Parnell&#39;s estate as a lass, before moving to Scotland.

I am ridiculously proud of being Irish by blood and Scottish by birth.

It perhaps explains the way I am. I make no apologies for this. Indeed quite the reverse. My whole attitude to life is an homage to my fore bearers. Miners and Artisans to a man. They earned their bread by the sweat of their brow.

No matter where I go or what I do I always remember that where (or more importantly who) I come from is all important.