PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Know What This Is?

Cenobite
01-25-2004, 10:44 PM
OK first of all my specs

Windows XP Pro
Barton Athlon XP2500
512Mb DDR Ram
8x AGP Geforce fx5200 (yeah I know! upgrading soon though)

Now the problems

(this is kind of hard to explain without actually seeing it)
If I move an open window (for instance My Documents) around the screen by dragging it with the blue bar at the top, the sides of the window seem to 'tear' like a game's background with vsync turned off.

The other problem is every now and again my screen will flicker (go black for an instant then return to to desktop) almost like the monitor is 'mode switching'. This is a bit concerning as I am not even touching the PC at the time, it's just turned on.

I am using the 53.03 Nvidia drivers and desktop resolution is 1024x768 32Bit 75MHz on a 20 inch monitor.

Sorry if this dosen't make much sense, but like I said it's quite hard to explain. I'm just worried that there is something wrong with the graphics card or mobo (as they are both new)

kaiweiler
01-25-2004, 10:47 PM
:frusty: Go to Hardwareworld!! :frusty:
why don't they learn...why oh why :(
GFX Card and Monitor are BOTH Hardware related, why would it be here in softwareworld?!

Reported, and Moved :01:

Dray_04
01-26-2004, 11:45 AM
as you can see, I too have a geforce fx5200 (craaaaPPP) lol :frusty:

but i never have had a problem like your own,

you havent overclocked your card at all have you? wot are you frequencies?

im guessing its your drivers, the card came with a cd right? uv installed the drivers off the cd ay?

p.s tell me how to view what driver i have for my graphic card and ill tell you what i have.

Weedy
01-26-2004, 09:15 PM
u mean, the program minimizes, goes to desktop? happens to me too..

peat moss
01-27-2004, 02:41 AM
I know this sounds silly but happen to me too. My monitor plug was not all the way in!!
Didn't discover till my children ran by stompping THE BLOODY THING FELL OUT.

Not the power cord Guys . The other one . :D

_John_Lennon_
01-27-2004, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by peat moss@26 January 2004 - 21:41
I know this sounds silly but happen to me too. My monitor plug was not all the way in!!
Didn't discover till my children ran by stompping THE BLOODY THING FELL OUT.

Not the power cord Guys . The other one . :D
U mean the video cord? <_<

Maximus359
01-28-2004, 04:23 PM
About the monitor going off to black screen & comming back on.

couple of suggestions.

1) the screen is running on a refresh rate which it can&#39;t handles so it cut&#39;s & restarts, so go to display property & advanced to change to Hz of it to 60hz. also list the modes it can&#39;t display as well. (burned a monitor that way before )

2) Might be that you have default monitor on, mine does this flick to black screen & back when i usually press the little icon on me taskbar that can do quick changes in the display from 800 x 600 to 1024 x 768 etc Again this is nothing to worry as i have a Philips LCD TV as my screen & it&#39;s a default monitor to the computer, so it doesn&#39;t know the colour settings etc.

3) being harsh now, get a new graphic&#39;s card as it maybe the goosed one in a million. Is it under warrenty if so shove it back to them & get it sorted, 9 times out of ten any fixes are exchanges anyway :)

Cenobite
01-29-2004, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by Maximus359@28 January 2004 - 16:23
About the monitor going off to black screen & comming back on.

couple of suggestions.

1) the screen is running on a refresh rate which it can&#39;t handles so it cut&#39;s & restarts, so go to display property & advanced to change to Hz of it to 60hz. also list the modes it can&#39;t display as well. (burned a monitor that way before )

2) Might be that you have default monitor on, mine does this flick to black screen & back when i usually press the little icon on me taskbar that can do quick changes in the display from 800 x 600 to 1024 x 768 etc Again this is nothing to worry as i have a Philips LCD TV as my screen & it&#39;s a default monitor to the computer, so it doesn&#39;t know the colour settings etc.

3) being harsh now, get a new graphic&#39;s card as it maybe the goosed one in a million. Is it under warrenty if so shove it back to them & get it sorted, 9 times out of ten any fixes are exchanges anyway :)
Thanks for the help fella, I will set my monitor back to 60hz.

About the card, your right I need to change it (it came with a motherboard bundle), Ive been looking at this http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?LEA-FX595U and would value anyones opinon on the card :)

Maximus359
01-30-2004, 01:02 AM
Already in love with it, geforces latest card :D

Brillant card, the best that geforce brought out, i was amazed at the detail it gave :)

a must have i belive.

If you going to buy it check this site out as i think you will get it cheaper

Kelkoo (http://www.kelkoo.co.uk/search.jsp?catId=100164013&siteSearchQuery=geforce+fx5950+ultra+256mb+ddr+ram)

or this link same place but different brands :)

Geforce Cards (http://computing.kelkoo.co.uk/b/a/c_111601_graphics_cards.html)