PDA

View Full Version : What Firewall Do You Use?

Spock4
01-27-2004, 12:46 AM
Hello post the firewall that you are using.

- Using Zone Alarm 4.0 PRO
* Good
* Simple to use

Aaron_T
01-27-2004, 12:48 AM
Norton Personal Firewall 2004

found it extremely good so far :)

james_bond_rulez
01-27-2004, 01:51 AM
za pro, kicks all the other firewalls in the ballz ;)

djchris
01-27-2004, 02:15 AM
ZoneAlarm pro 4.5 :rolleyes: very simple and 100% security

Spock4
01-27-2004, 02:44 AM
Well How is it good? guys?
Cause I am comparing firewalls if ZAPRO is good enough I heard NIS was laggy and slow, caused the internet to slow down?

NightStalker
01-27-2004, 02:46 AM
Zone Alarm Pro with Web Filtering. :smilie4:

It's sufficient and it works. :01:

Mr. Blunt
01-27-2004, 03:09 AM
Sygate Personal Firewall

Spock4
01-27-2004, 03:41 AM
Whats the difference between sygate and ZA and NIS?

Advantages and disadvantages

Desert Eagle
01-27-2004, 10:59 AM
I'm using McAfee Firewall. Works good for me.

supersonic
01-27-2004, 03:06 PM
Using sygate personal firewall pro. it is the best so far.
check http://www.wilders.org/ for details why spf is better than za which i found that it sucked and did not detect ddos attacks that sygate always detects. it's IMO and I might be wrong.

Xero Grid
01-28-2004, 09:17 PM
I use hardware, instead of software. Server, Router to create a NAT and VPN. Software firewalls used to get in the way of my LAN connection. I'm in a situation in which everyone has to be able to get any file at any time.

-- Xero Grid --

Aaron_T
01-28-2004, 09:43 PM
Zonealarm is crap it destroyed my system registry :(

Norton is the way to go does not slow internet down at all!

WolverineDK
01-29-2004, 12:01 AM
http://www.closedbsd.org/

my self ? i use Norton personal Firewall

skelley521
01-29-2004, 01:01 AM
Why use a firewall at all. Do you peps really think the internet is safe and free to do as you will.....you kids kill me....a firewall only stops kids from playing with kids.
I ran a broadband connection for 5 yrs. with no firewall or anitvirus and I had no problems.
Go ahead and believe the advertisements if you will.
I have a friend that works for symantec in Virginia and that is all that he does, write kiddy scrips for kids...Project Development is the Department he is employed by.

As far as the subject is concerned.....please do a search of the board as all of the information has already been posted 100+ times.

shn
01-29-2004, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by skelley521@28 January 2004 - 19:01
Why use a firewall at all. Do you peps really think the internet is safe and free to do as you will.....you kids kill me....a firewall only stops kids from playing with kids.
I ran a broadband connection for 5 yrs. with no firewall or anitvirus and I had no problems.
Go ahead and believe the advertisements if you will.
I have a friend that works for symantec in Virginia and that is all that he does, write kiddy scrips for kids...Project Development is the Department he is employed by.

As far as the subject is concerned.....please do a search of the board as all of the information has already been posted 100+ times.
Wow. Ive seen some pretty stupid post on this forum but that right there pal takes the cake. Im not even going to debate that because anybody on this board with common sense can see you dont really have a clue.:(

Btw, I use a router, and a damn good one. No software based firewall can ever compete with a physical device like a router.

The best software firewall is Linux.;) Just take a shitty pc and install linux or bsd (which is not linux btw) and install it with no gui or hardly anything else and configure your ip tables, filters, etc. If your a n00b then just install the gui and use the lokkit gnome firewall utility (too simple).

@WolverineDK -- That looks interesting. It beats fully installing bsd on a machine just to use it as a firewall which is what most people do.

Still LOL @skelly's post :frusty:

abu_has_the_power
01-29-2004, 03:11 AM
i use za 4.5 and router

GrubMe
01-29-2004, 03:15 AM
Without firewall, you wont be able to know if a hacker/trojan/viruses/spyware comes in and hijacks your computer?

Well it wont happen now but anytime it will.

ZA ruined your reg key? wow my didnt... well hmm should I get NIS?

ZeroTolerance
01-29-2004, 03:26 AM
its so much software you need to have and by the time you set them all up your computer usage will be up and you could barely run a program. You need a antivirus software,spyware program and a firewall, and so on. Cant the companies make one software that contains all of this? man :frusty:

shn
01-29-2004, 03:36 AM
Originally posted by ZeroTolerance@28 January 2004 - 21:26
its so much software you need to have and by the time you set them all up your computer usage will be up and you could barely run a program. You need a antivirus software,spyware program and a firewall, and so on. Cant the companies make one software that contains all of this? man :frusty:
I think bloated versions of norton do that. An antivirus and firewall at least, Im not sure if they have a suite with spyware protection.

Just because its 3 programs in one does not mean it wont require the same amount of system resources as it would if it were 3 seperate programs.

peat moss
01-29-2004, 03:51 AM
Zonealarm pro 4 here pain to setup but worth it

ZeroTolerance
01-29-2004, 04:14 AM
Originally posted by shn+29 January 2004 - 03:36--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (shn @ 29 January 2004 - 03:36)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ZeroTolerance@28 January 2004 - 21:26
I think bloated versions of norton do that. An antivirus and firewall at least, Im not sure if they have a suite with spyware protection.

Just because its 3 programs in one does not mean it wont require the same amount of system resources as it would if it were 3 seperate programs. [/b][/quote]
i do have norton and it is a fucking computer hog , any other good antivirus software out there? because my computer runs slow with norton and my expired date about to run out too.

peat moss
01-29-2004, 04:15 AM
Zero try AVG free program

Robert00000
01-29-2004, 04:19 AM
Originally posted by ZeroTolerance+29 January 2004 - 04:14--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ZeroTolerance @ 29 January 2004 - 04:14)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by shn@29 January 2004 - 03:36
<!--QuoteBegin-ZeroTolerance@28 January 2004 - 21:26

Just because its 3 programs in one does not mean it wont require the same amount of system resources as it would if it were 3 seperate programs.
i do have norton and it is a fucking computer hog , any other good antivirus software out there? because my computer runs slow with norton and my expired date about to run out too. [/b][/quote]
Use systemsuite, its much better. Version 4 is produced by ontrack, and version 5 by vcom (who bought it from ontrack). If you install version 5, don&#39;t install all the extra crap that comes with it.

shn
01-29-2004, 04:43 AM
Originally posted by ZeroTolerance+28 January 2004 - 22:14--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ZeroTolerance @ 28 January 2004 - 22:14)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by shn@29 January 2004 - 03:36
<!--QuoteBegin-ZeroTolerance@28 January 2004 - 21:26

i do have norton and it is a fucking computer hog , any other good antivirus software out there? because my computer runs slow with norton and my expired date about to run out too. [/b][/quote]
Norton corporate is very lightweight and gets the job done. Its what I use on my xp box. I use version 7.60.xxx, there are newer versions but I think this one is just fine.

Its just antivirus though, I dont need the other stuff. You might want to try something else if your looking for an all in one suite. :)

xihatebreedix
01-29-2004, 09:14 AM
yeah...i dunno if norton 2004 pro has a firewall, if it does...i dunno where the hell it is hah

but i use my router...works like a charm

Spam-King
01-29-2004, 02:56 PM
I use McAfee firewall

definantly the best out there does not slow down internet

killer04
01-29-2004, 03:28 PM
I use z.a 4.5 pro

chinook_apache
01-29-2004, 04:37 PM
im using the router firewall and for the pc just windows xp one

Petman
01-29-2004, 09:36 PM
If you want a good combined Anti Virus and Firewall, go for Panda Anti Virus Platinum. This is a good product that does the job. The Anti Virus updates daily, and sometimes twice daily, and is easy to configure. The firewall is made by Sygate and runs well within the programme, blocking any attackers ISP for 10 minutes automatically.

:D :D :D

Mik3ll
01-29-2004, 11:48 PM
Zone Alarm free edition.

Maximus359
01-30-2004, 02:48 AM
Zonealarm Pro with web filtering rules, can&#39;t beat it :)

Norton&#39;s is crap also the anti-virus ain&#39;t safe, ever hear the story about the virus that was desgined to escape the nortons quartine t cause crap on y a pc?

Well don&#39;t really trust Nortons so i run a second Anti-virus next to it now to be safe, as most hackers & virus makers compare to the top brands like nortons.

pc-gamer-dude
01-30-2004, 02:53 AM
simple answer: none.

shn
01-30-2004, 03:00 AM
Originally posted by Maximus359@29 January 2004 - 20:48
Zonealarm Pro with web filtering rules, can&#39;t beat it :)

Norton&#39;s is crap also the anti-virus ain&#39;t safe, ever hear the story about the virus that was desgined to escape the nortons quartine t cause crap on y a pc?

Well don&#39;t really trust Nortons so i run a second Anti-virus next to it now to be safe, as most hackers & virus makers compare to the top brands like nortons.
If norton was crap I dont think big companies and universities would be using norton corporate av clients and servers for their networks.

Its the home editions of norton that I can do without

Twist3r
01-30-2004, 03:18 AM
i use a router :D