PDA

View Full Version : Windows 95 Repair

coldnorth
01-27-2004, 04:47 PM
Anyone know a good win 95 repair software? I'd like to be able to fix a few of the problems I'm having with this old computer without re-formating the entire thing. Thanks

cwctv
01-27-2004, 06:14 PM
Depends whats wrong with it and what version, just reload over the top.

coldnorth
01-27-2004, 11:10 PM
I've got a few problems with this thing. My biggest complaint is that it freezes up when turning it on. Usually have to start it 3 or 4 times before it will fully boot up and work. While online it's just a manner of time before it freezes up and has to be re-started. I think a lot of my problems are from ad ware and my clumsly attempts at removing them. I do have adaware and that's removed a lot of stuff but I still have some stuff on here that the win95 version of adaware or myself can't find. I tried renaming the back up system.ini file hoping it would fix some of the start up problems but that turned into a nightmare. I'm open for suggestions if anyone has any ideas. I would just reformate the thing but I have a lot of files and programs I don't want to loose and not practical for me to back some of them up. I had a computer with what I believe was an earlier version of win95 in which windows could be reinstalled without wiping out everything else. I tried that on this one a couple of years ago but couldn't do it, it just reformatted and reinstalled windows.

cwctv
01-28-2004, 12:04 AM
Without seeing the problem its hard to say what's causing the throuble how about loading Win98 over it might help with the internet thing,and if it doesn't you can always go back to Win95(this is all providing you have the space on your h/drive).

coldnorth
01-28-2004, 01:29 AM
I was kinda hoping that there might be some software out there that could help me make a few repairs.

foot loose
01-28-2004, 02:04 AM
u could partition ur drive and move all the file u want to keep on one drive and format the other one and reinstall win95

have u done a virus check??
also u could try norton utilities one of the utilities on this program is win doctor this sorts out ur regestrie (poor spelling)
give it a try and tell us the results :D

Smith
01-28-2004, 02:28 AM
in computers, old sckool is not cool.... :lol:

iMartin
01-28-2004, 03:07 AM
Originally posted by TheCanuk@27 January 2004 - 20:28
in computers, old sckool is not cool.... :lol:
Agreed...agreed....coldnorth my friend, you have a dinosaur on your desk. You might look into updating just a smig. ;)

peat moss
01-28-2004, 03:15 AM
Cold north how much memory do you have ? Time to upgrade to a new computer :)

Have you tryed spoybot? http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=download

Mentions updating winsock for win95 install

iMartin
01-28-2004, 03:19 AM
Yeah, I thought I was bad because I'm on 56k, but DAMN! Windows 95? Man you have a piece of history there. :P

h1
01-28-2004, 07:01 AM
Windows 95? I'm jealous. :P

Besides my baby (yes, I call it that), I have a triple-boot WinDoze box and a Jag-u-war (sic) box in the closet.

Along with an Atari ST and an Apple ][. :P B)

coldnorth
01-28-2004, 10:07 PM
Thanks everyone for all your replys. Yep, this thing is old and I will probably invest in a new one before too long. Still, till then I'd like to get this one running as best as it can. I had thought about partitioning the drive, that might be the easiest way to go about it. Any tips or anything I should now about reformating a partitioned drive? Thanks again everyone.

coldnorth
01-28-2004, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by peat moss@28 January 2004 - 03:15
Cold north how much memory do you have ? Time to upgrade to a new computer :)

Have you tryed spoybot? http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=download

Mentions updating winsock for win95 install
I've used adaware, perhaps I'll give spoybot a try. Since the surgery last year when they put the plate in my skull the computer has slightly more memory than I do, which ain't much(would be funny if not true).

Smurfette
01-28-2004, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by peat moss@28 January 2004 - 03:15
Have you tryed spoybot?LOL, when I saw that at first I thought it said 'boyspot'... some sort of utility for paedo's. :D

longboneslinger
01-28-2004, 11:11 PM
Here's the hash for Partition Magic 8. It'll set up the partition for you.

File:Partition Magic 8.0.exe
Length:52375552 Bytes, 51148KB
UUHash:=bco7GK7mHw93XdwPmp3wGmlWg3Y=

As for a new PC, try Dell. They got some hot deals. I'm looking at a refurb for the wifey. It'll keep her off mine......to hell with fool-proofing, I need wife-proofing!!!! :lol:

All in all, I've found that 95 is more stable than 98. They're the same, 98 just has more bells and whistles (like USB support :D ). Just PLEASE don't get M.E.! It's M$'s retarded child......trust me on this!

Smurfette
01-28-2004, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by longboneslinger@28 January 2004 - 23:11
As for a new PC, try Dell. They got some hot deals. I'm looking at a refurb for the wifey. It'll keep her off mine......to hell with fool-proofing, I need wife-proofing!!!! :lol:

All in all, I've found that 95 is more stable than 98. They're the same, 98 just has more bells and whistles (like USB support :D ). Just PLEASE don't get M.E.! It's M$'s retarded child......trust me on this!
Dell? Don't even think about it! Honest, dood, they're the pits - if you wanna upgrade it you've often got next to no chance.

Last week I foolishly agreed to transfer a friend's components to a new tower case before I found out he had a Dell. The guy got here around 8PM Friday and left about 2:30 Saturday morning after butchering his ole system and his new case just to get tha crap in there.

As for WinME, I found it more reliable than any version before it.

iMartin
01-29-2004, 01:00 AM
Dell is the best in my opinion (right next to AlienWare). I ran off of WindowsME for 3 and a half years, and I'd have to say, it's not all that bad.

h1
01-29-2004, 06:28 AM
I find it reprehensible that you mention Dell and Alienware in the same sentence. Sure, Dell sucks but it is OK if you're poor, a grandparent, an idiot, or a teeniebopper. But Alienware... now that's hardcore. Like Voodoo, Falcon Northwest, Monarch, etc.

And you people are kidding about ME, right?

shn
01-29-2004, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by [-Crono-
,28 January 2004 - 19:00]Dell is the best in my opinion (right next to AlienWare). I ran off of WindowsME for 3 and a half years, and I'd have to say, it's not all that bad.
http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/c0/rotlaugh.gifhttp://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/c0/haha.gif

Ill add that to my list of funniest post Ive seen all day. OMG............Dell is nowhere near an alienware.

Dell is the best in my opinion (right next to AlienWare) :lol:

Ok, yeah sure you can put your dell next to my mj-12 if you wanthttp://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/i0/monkeypiss.gif

I think you been hangin out with the dell dude to long..................what are you smokin? http://filesharingtalk.com/style_images/1/icon8.gif

coldnorth
01-29-2004, 02:25 PM
Thanks for the partition software address longboneslinger, I might give that a try. My experiences with winME have not been real good. A couple of years ago my wife decided to get a computer and bought an HP with ME. The thing has been a pain. My biggest complaint is that it will not connect to the net faster than 28K, and yes it has a 57K modem.

cwctv
01-29-2004, 06:15 PM
longboneslinger
Just PLEASE don't get M.E.! It's M$'s retarded child......trust me
Smurfette
As for WinME, I found it more reliable than any version before it.
[-Crono-]
I ran off of WindowsME for 3 and a half years, and I'd have to say, it's not all that bad.
haxor41789
And you people are kidding about ME, right?

Well I have been running it for over two years WITHOUT any problems at all.In that time I have also upgraded twice the m/board and cpu with differant chipset,memory,video card and h/drives which included copying all the files accross to the new ones.
You won't see a post asking anyone for help like they are with Xp its what you know and I will stay with this till the next O/S comes along.

So coldnorth what are you going to do a reload or an upgrade ?

coldnorth
01-29-2004, 07:56 PM
I think for the time being I'm going to partition and reload. Sometime soon though I really need to invest in a new computer.

Question: After I partition will I have any trouble formatiing the correct drive or will it just want to reformat the entire time? Don't want to loose my saved data and programs.

cwctv
01-29-2004, 10:39 PM
Well if you haven't done it already all I can say is everthing should be ok you just format the new partition(s) BUT I don't want to put you off somewhere about 2/3 weeks back someone had a real problem with Partition Magic 8 and lost the whole drive,me I have never used it so can't help you there, do a search for that post before just in case unless of course someone can recall this topic and if the person found the problem and cured it, anyone help him out with this.

shn
01-29-2004, 10:51 PM
Everyone in this thread has been very very helpful as always :P

Im suprised with all the input coldnorth has yet to find a solution :blink:

Oh well, keep trying, youll get it :P

*edit* On second thought...........I forgot we were talking windows "95" :lol:

http://www.cevctopp.de/ceUs/HP/alt/alte/Galerie/OS/thumb/win95pq.jpg

h1
01-29-2004, 10:58 PM
A partition operation will delete all the data on your drive.

cwctv
01-29-2004, 11:05 PM
You know snn I still find it hard to believe it's like 9 years now since this first came out and still recall thinking my god its here and bang back I when to 3.11 because of how shit it was,that is until they released verison2 which was much better and stopped crashing every other day.
And now look where we are Operating Systems comimg out have our ears AND still crashing one day we might have a good one to play with.....

haxor41789
A partition operation will delete all the data on your drive.

Even if he uses Partition Magic 8 I thought you could do this with this program ?

shn
01-29-2004, 11:39 PM
Well it will delete whatever is on "that" partition generally not the whole drive unless your messing with fdisk.

Fdisk can fuck some shit up seriously if you do not know what you are doing.:lol:. Dont come in here crying if your hard drive suddenly disappears into the mist.<_< Try cfdisk, its a little easier to use. And be careful.

@cwctv -- if it works for you then what the hell :P

Btw, Il bet that bill gate&#39;s box rarely crashes if ever at all.............lol. You think he is running an off-the shelf version of his own o.s.

Or maybe he downloaded the the xp pro corp version from k-litehttp://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/c0/rotlaugh.gif

Im serious what do you thing gates runs? :P

cwctv
01-29-2004, 11:48 PM
Or maybe he downloaded the the xp pro corp version from k-lite

More than likly because it was free the richer they are the less they spend. :rolleyes:

Im serious what do you thing gates runs?

Linux it hardly ever crashes besides that people into the ground. :D

h1
01-30-2004, 08:21 AM
:lol: @ shn. I just love your Tux and anti-Windows pics.

shn
01-30-2004, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by haxor41789@30 January 2004 - 02:21
Tux rocks :P

h1
01-30-2004, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by shn+30 January 2004 - 09:37--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (shn @ 30 January 2004 - 09:37)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-haxor41789@30 January 2004 - 02:21
Tux rocks :P [/b][/quote]
Tux > * > Clippit
:lol:

Evil Gemini
01-30-2004, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Smurfette+29 January 2004 - 00:30--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Smurfette @ 29 January 2004 - 00:30)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-longboneslinger@28 January 2004 - 23:11
As for a new PC, try Dell. They got some hot deals. I&#39;m looking at a refurb for the wifey. It&#39;ll keep her off mine......to hell with fool-proofing, I need wife-proofing&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; :lol:

All in all, I&#39;ve found that 95 is more stable than 98. They&#39;re the same, 98 just has more bells and whistles (like USB support :D ). Just PLEASE don&#39;t get M.E.&#33; It&#39;s M&#036;&#39;s retarded child......trust me on this&#33;
Dell? Don&#39;t even think about it&#33; Honest, dood, they&#39;re the pits - if you wanna upgrade it you&#39;ve often got next to no chance.

Last week I foolishly agreed to transfer a friend&#39;s components to a new tower case before I found out he had a Dell. The guy got here around 8PM Friday and left about 2:30 Saturday morning after butchering his ole system and his new case just to get tha crap in there.

As for WinME, I found it more reliable than any version before it. [/b][/quote]
I know i will never do that again :fear:

It was the pits.

Even worse when the damn onboard sound NEEDS the front audio headers to be connected for the rear ports to work. That was a reall bastard :frusty: :frusty:

coldnorth
01-30-2004, 05:59 PM
I&#39;m going to be busy this weekend but I think next week I&#39;m going to partition the drive, move the stuff I&#39;m saving to the new partition and then refomat the old drive. Hoping that will keep me going until I can get a new computer. Thanks everyone.

cwctv
01-30-2004, 06:10 PM
Best of luck coldnorth but don&#39;t forget you need to use something like Partition Magic to make your partitions and NOT Windows (Dos in your case Win95),be seeing you.

Smurfette
01-30-2004, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by haxor41789@29 January 2004 - 06:28
...And you people are kidding about ME, right?
Absolutely serious, hax. Windows has improved with every release.

Smurfette
01-30-2004, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by [&#045;Crono&#045;]@29 January 2004 - 01:00
Dell is the best in my opinion...
Umm, what&#39;s the weather like on your planet? :)

h1
01-30-2004, 11:23 PM
Windows may have improved in every version, but ME was a bomb. 2000 Pro has been the best version yet and I have not touched Windows since.

Smurfette
01-31-2004, 05:44 AM
Originally posted by haxor41789@30 January 2004 - 23:23
Windows may have improved in every version, but ME was a bomb. 2000 Pro has been the best version yet and I have not touched Windows since.
LOL two sentences and two contradictions.

h1
01-31-2004, 06:12 AM
Originally posted by Smurfette+31 January 2004 - 06:44--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Smurfette @ 31 January 2004 - 06:44)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-haxor41789@30 January 2004 - 23:23
LOL two sentences and two contradictions. [/b][/quote]
Tried 2000 Pro after ME because I started playing with servers then, TYVM. ;)