PDA

View Full Version : Pc Had To Be Wiped And Win Xp

Peerzy
01-27-2004, 07:24 PM
i installed something that seemed to make my c not boot up sometimes and just crash so i decieded to try and repair WIN XP so i put in the disc and i coulnt repair so i tryed to install witout formmating but it ditn erase the error so last nite i put the WIN XP PRO disc in and formatted and installed WIN XP PRO and it crashed half way thru <_<

now when i put in the XP PRO disc it starts to load p system files to get ready to install but comes up with a system error and says it stopped to prevent harming my pc.

it wont boot cause it says the same thing and i tried my LEGAL copy of XP HOME and that didnt work.

any ideas?

this is a real problem 4 me cause its my only pc and im having to use a m8&#39;s for all work and stuff.

sorry for all the spelling errors and shit but im in a hurry.

please offer any help. :helpsmile: :helpsmile:

Mad Cat
01-27-2004, 07:30 PM
Software problem dude&#33;

Peerzy
01-27-2004, 07:41 PM
shit&#33; i just relised this aint rly hardare <_<

okay mod plz move but untll then anyone got any ideas?

i cant boot up how it is now and i cant install win xp so i dunno what to do?

even with no windows installed can i get a DOS bootdisc and open DOS and reformat the harddrive 100%?

then try and reinstall win xp? cause its bcoz it crashed half way thru win xp install and its half installed half not :helpsmile:

thnx

3RA1N1AC
01-27-2004, 07:47 PM
are you taking parts out before you install? the most surefire way to do a successful Windows installation is to remove as many parts as you can from the PC-- everything that is not absolutely required to boot & install. soundcard, secondary hard drives, network/modem card, etc. it might even be helpful to remove any extra pieces of RAM that you&#39;ve got, and just use one during the installation. then after you get Windows installed, you can shut down and start putting the parts back in.

a lot of people are able to install Windows on a fully assembled computer, but that is still a pretty big source of installation problems for others.

nanotek
01-27-2004, 08:30 PM
i had probs over the weekend reinstalling xp pro so heres what i did - i removed my hdd and took it to a friends pc and got him to format both partitions , i then put it back in my pc and windows installation was no problem anymore B) i also turned my bios settings bak to default as well just to be sure

Virtualbody1234
01-27-2004, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by peerzyboy@27 January 2004 - 13:41
okay mod plz move but untll then anyone got any ideas?
Ok, I&#39;ll move it since you requested it but I&#39;m not sure that it&#39;s not a hardware problem.

Is you system overclocked? If so then try setting it to standard speeds and then try reinstalling.

tesco
01-27-2004, 11:15 PM
get a dos boot disk and put it in then get into dos and type format C: and that woud format it...i think you can download the disks off of the microsoft website.

Robert00000
01-28-2004, 12:28 AM
My advice would be to remove the old partitions and re-partition then re-format, because your partition table may contain errors. I&#39;ve had this happen to me before.

skelley521
01-28-2004, 12:57 AM
Here are a few sites with good information that may help.

I would suggest Fdisk; new partition; format and install&#33;&#33;

Clean install 1 (http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/clean_install.htm)

Clean install 2 (http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp)

Partition and Format a Hard Disk in Windows XP (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=313348)

Install and Use the Recovery Console in Windows XP (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307654)

Using Recovery Console (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/TechNet/prodtechnol/winxppro/reskit/prmc_str_bjid.asp)

Hope this helps, at least some good reading ;)
Steve

tesco
01-28-2004, 03:18 AM
as long as you dont have any otehr partitions on your drive (ie backup, downlaods, etc.) then you can type fdisk /mbr and it will fix the master boot record for you then during the xp setup you create a new partition and format it during setup then install and it should work.

peat moss
01-28-2004, 03:29 AM
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@27 January 2004 - 15:15
get a dos boot disk and put it in then get into dos and type format C: and that woud format it...i think you can download the disks off of the microsoft website.
Yep I still like win98 bootdisk the best .Seems to work better for me.

skelley521
01-28-2004, 03:48 AM
I use a &#39;custom&#39; 98SE boot disk with the newer Fdisk for large drives.
This will allow you to create larger than 32 gig partitions, so they say.
Although I have not encountered this problem as of yet.

(Little bit of old school I guess)
It&#39;s a nice touch to first make a folder on your Hard Drive named
XP and then copy the contents of the i386 folder from the CD to it first.
Then navigate to that folder and type winnt.exe

But if DOS isn&#39;t your thing, then boot with the CD and follow the on-screen instructions ;)

Peerzy
01-28-2004, 04:29 PM
thnx for all the advice.
no i hae no partions in the hard drive
no i havent installed anything new to my pc for about a montha nd that was an extra hard drive
no i havent oced at all.
im going to try the boot disc thing cause taking out hard drives and stuff takes alot of time and stuff.

when i in DOS what do i type to format?

is it:

FORMAT C:

?

Peerzy
01-28-2004, 05:42 PM
i got a dos boot disc andtyped format c: and tried loads of stuff like that but it aint working.

just a stupid thought but has my pc named my drives yet? wod they b called drive 0 and drive 1 maybe?

it doesnt tell me my drive names all it says is drive R and Drive S but when i type format R: it says it cannot format a network drive and same for S and i do have 2 othewr pc&#39;s using 1 drive each networked.

any suggestions?
:helpsmile: :helpsmile: :helpsmile:
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
:helpsmile: :helpsmile:
:rolleyes:

accat13
01-28-2004, 07:26 PM
you could try going to your hardrive manufacturer&#39;s web site and download there utility to fdisc then do a clean install.I also really like the friends computer method it always seems to work well.. :D

Peerzy
01-28-2004, 07:43 PM
yeah iv decied that on sat im gonna go and do the whole friends pc thingy

if anyone has any ideas tho... :rolleyes:

Smurfette
01-28-2004, 11:04 PM
First off, unplug your network cable just to avoid the confusion you&#39;re experiencing with drives R and S&#33;

I&#39;m intrigued... how is the format command not working? Do you just get a message saying you haven&#39;t got a C: drive or what? Give us a clue... tell us what happens when you type FORMAT C:.

Sounds like your hard drives aren&#39;t recognised which could be MBR corruption or BIOS (non)detection.
Go into your BIOS and make sure that any HDD are being detected properly - either use the auto-config that most BIOSes have to determine the correct parameters or set your IDE channels to auto-detect drives on boot.
Then boot to DOS and type FDISK
Use fdisk to establish whether your HDDs are initialised and that you have an active partition set. You could split your drives into several partitions while you&#39;re in fdisk, if you like.
Reboot the machine to DOS again and then type FORMAT C:, then install your chosen OS.

If you&#39;re getting errors, try unplugging a stick of RAM - if you&#39;ve got a bad stick, files get corrupted when they&#39;re copied to the hard drive during install. If you have access to the net, download Memtest86 (it&#39;s free) and test your memory, as you have nothing to lose but a little time and it&#39;ll tell you whether RAM is a problem or not.

shn
01-29-2004, 06:02 AM
Originally posted by peerzyboy@27 January 2004 - 13:24
i installed something that seemed to make my c not boot up sometimes and just crash so i decieded to try and repair WIN XP so i put in the disc and i coulnt repair so i tryed to install witout formmating but it ditn erase the error so last nite i put the WIN XP PRO disc in and formatted and installed WIN XP PRO and it crashed half way thru <_<

now when i put in the XP PRO disc it starts to load p system files to get ready to install but comes up with a system error and says it stopped to prevent harming my pc.

it wont boot cause it says the same thing and i tried my LEGAL copy&nbsp; of XP HOME and that didnt work.

any ideas?

this is a real problem 4 me cause its my only pc and im having to use a m8&#39;s for all work and stuff.

please offer any help. :helpsmile:&nbsp; :helpsmile:
Initially sounded like a hardware problem.

Might be an I/O device error causing it.

You should remove any hardware devices you dont need for regular installation..............anything in your pci slots, modems, ethernet cards, etc.

If the install goes ok after that then put them back in and try and boot, if it fails then one of thoose devices is causing the problem.............simply dont use it.
;)

Peerzy
01-29-2004, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by shn@29 January 2004 - 06:02
Initially sounded like a hardware problem.
okay i took out my main disc that got fucked up while insalling xp and set my slave as the master and clicked to format it when i got th win xp pro setup thing up so i went away and when i came back the blue sceen of death was up with some fucking error the same error i had last time and now that disc is doing the same :angry:

iv tried removing the battery to reset the bios but did nothing

First off, unplug your network cable just to avoid the confusion you&#39;re experiencing with drives R and S&#33;

I&#39;m intrigued... how is the format command not working? Do you just get a message saying you haven&#39;t got a C: drive or what? Give us a clue... tell us what happens when you type FORMAT C:.

Sounds like your hard drives aren&#39;t recognised which could be MBR corruption or BIOS (non)detection.
Go into your BIOS and make sure that any HDD are being detected properly - either use the auto-config that most BIOSes have to determine the correct parameters or set your IDE channels to auto-detect drives on boot.
Then boot to DOS and type FDISK
Use fdisk to establish whether your HDDs are initialised and that you have an active partition set. You could split your drives into several partitions while you&#39;re in fdisk, if you like.
Reboot the machine to DOS again and then type FORMAT C:, then install your chosen OS.

If you&#39;re getting errors, try unplugging a stick of RAM - if you&#39;ve got a bad stick, files get corrupted when they&#39;re copied to the hard drive during install. If you have access to the net, download Memtest86 (it&#39;s free) and test your memory, as you have nothing to lose but a little time and it&#39;ll tell you whether RAM is a problem or not.

im quite sure its not the RAM as i havent installed anyfor about 4 or 5 months.

my network cable was unpluged im pritty sure.
it is auto configuered properly

when i type FORMAT C:

it says:

the parameter &#39;C:&#39; is not correct or some shit.

but when i type FORMAT 1:

it does something for about 20mins and then makes a loud noise and bombs out.

im gonna ry this whole FDISC thing so i just boot up DOS and type FDISC and it will do something.

and it is a hardware problem so mad cat was wrong. yes&#33; :rolleyes:

ObiWan
01-29-2004, 08:33 PM
it sounds as if there is no c drive
in fdisk select option 4 and it will show the partitions on the disk and the assossiated drive leters

NOTE: its fdisk NOT fdisc and is found on a windows 9x boot disc

Peerzy
01-29-2004, 08:57 PM
i have a xp boot disc is FDISC on that?

shn
01-29-2004, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by peerzyboy@29 January 2004 - 14:57
i have a xp boot disc is FDISC on that?
Just use the xp boot disk and go to the partition selection screen and wipe out all the partitions.

Or try to do a "chkdsk" using that command to check the drive for any errors or bad sectors.

Peerzy
01-30-2004, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by shn@29 January 2004 - 22:07
Or try to do a "chkdsk" using that command to check the drive for any errors or bad sectors.
i tried CHKDSK and it checked the A drive and nothing else i also tried SCANDISC and it just checked the A (floppy) drive as well. :angry:

in FDISK section 4 it just says NO PARTIONS on this disc.

it says nothing about the name of it.

about 20mins ago i just stuck in a legal copy of XP HOME and it started to work i selected the partion i wanted any everything then i choose FORMAT FULL WITH NTSK or what ever its calld and at about 15% pc just turned off and is back to its usually way.

im sure its not my copy of XP cause i have a perfecly not scratched legel copy of HOME and slightly scratched copy on PRO that has worked before.

im still in need of major help cause i aint got any money to get it repaired professionly. :angry:

:helpsmile: :helpsmile:
:helpsmile:

Peerzy
01-31-2004, 01:23 PM
bump :helpsmile:

skelley521
01-31-2004, 01:46 PM
Check all the connections inside the &#39;puter to make sure they are all made and if that doesn&#39;t change anything I would say the HD has failed and you need to purchase a new one.

Edit: last but not least, you could try to flash the firmware of the HD from the manufacture.

Peerzy
01-31-2004, 06:19 PM
all the connections are in properly.

but isnt it wierd that 2 hard drivs of 2 different makes (maxtor and seagate) both fail at the same time.

does anyone know a way to totally format a hard drive 100%

also i no this may sound stupid but does the pc hav like a mini hard drive of its own which wod tell XP everytime i try to install that a file is fucked up or something?

Peerzy
01-31-2004, 06:21 PM
also i think this is more hardware than software so could a mod please move this back into hardware world <_< :rolleyes:

Smurfette
01-31-2004, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by peerzyboy+31 January 2004 - 18:19--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (peerzyboy &#064; 31 January 2004 - 18:19)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>but isnt it wierd that 2 hard drivs of 2 different makes (maxtor and seagate) both fail at the same time.[/b]Only if they&#39;ve failed. I don&#39;t think it&#39;s the HDDs.

Originally posted by peerzyboy@31 January 2004 - 18:19
does anyone know a way to totally format a hard drive 100%Yep, type FORMAT <drive letter>: at a DOS prompt.

<!--QuoteBegin-peerzyboy@31 January 2004 - 18:19
also i no this may sound stupid but does the pc hav like a mini hard drive of its own which wod tell XP everytime i try to install that a file is fucked up or something?[/quote]You&#39;re right, it sounds stupid. :)

Windows XP&#39;s installation does not require a partitioned and formatted HDD; if you have a new & untouched drive in your system when you run the XP install, it&#39;ll ask you how you want to partition and format the available disks, then do it. I know because I&#39;ve done it this way. :)
You could use FDISK to remove all partition information from the drive then just run the XP install if you wanted.

Peerzy
02-01-2004, 01:55 PM
iv tried:
FORMAT {every letter on the keyboard}:

iv been to FDISK and deleated any NON DOS partions

and it still fucking bombs out.

but sometimes not in the same place.

the places it does it are:

1)while its loading files rite at the start b4 u can even select where to install
2)on doing a full format with NTSC (or whatever it is) NOT QUICK
3)after it asks me for my name and the time and stuff like that the pc just reboots.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

im thinking that im gonna hav to pay to hav it fixed :angry:

Livy
02-01-2004, 02:00 PM
go into fdisk, delete all partions, dos and non dos etc, so there is nothing there, create a new partition using all space, btu dont format it. now boot using ur winxp disk, run the setup, use ntfs type disk, and quick option, see if that works.

also u cant format the drives as there are no drives defined, eg partitions

skelley521
02-01-2004, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by peerzyboy@1 February 2004 - 08:55
iv tried:
FORMAT {every letter on the keyboard}:

iv been to FDISK and deleated any NON DOS partions

and it still fucking bombs out.

but sometimes not in the same place.

the places it does it are:

1)while its loading files rite at the start b4 u can even select where to install
2)on doing a full format with NTSC (or whatever it is) NOT QUICK
3)after it asks me for my name and the time and stuff like that the pc just reboots.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

im thinking that im gonna hav to pay to hav it fixed :angry:
OK, I finally installed XP on wifes &#39;puter last night and experienced the same things that you have mentioned.
It was a device conflict that caused these problems.
Have you upgraded any PCI cards??
I had to remove the floppy drive as it was failing and that seemed to help some.
Then I had to remove her ATI display adapter and install the old one and that fixed the install problem. After the install completed I went back and re-installed the new display adapter and things are going good.

So, you may try to remove any new hardware changes that you have made (if you can). Just remember to remove 1 item at a time and continue trying to finsh the install.

Also, I had to switch installation disk as the one I always use had developed errors on the surface which caused simular problems.

Dont give up, just sit back, read everyones ideas and think about what you are doing. Slow is the best pace ;)

Hope this helps,
Steve

Peerzy
02-01-2004, 07:37 PM
well since i got the pc a year ago this christmas iv upgraded:

*EXTRA 256MB OF RAM
*UPGRADED THE ON BOARD GFX CARD TO A G FORCE 4 MMX440
*ADDED A DVD DRIVE
*ADDED A NETWORK CARD
*UPGRADED THE CPU FROM A 1.3 DURON TO A 2000+ XP ATLON

wierdly enough im sure iv formatted the hard drive o at leave fucked it up so much as to all date has been currupted but when i turn on the PC for a few seconds i still see the gfx card settings and its mini BIOS and i still run the moniter thru the gf card surly that wod b installed on the hard drive i hav formatted/fucked about with :blink:

im been given a £25 qoate as to how much it will cost to fix so if i cant do anything tonite im going to send it for repaire. :helpsmile:

skelley521
02-01-2004, 08:11 PM
Wifes XP installation would get about 3/4 of the way in the &#39;installing devices&#39; then just kick off. The graphics card was the cause of this.

Peerzy
02-01-2004, 08:22 PM
thats what happens to me alot of the time.

just removed the gfx card, the slave hard drive and my network card leaving nothing rly to remove and it still didnt work. :angry: :angry: :angry:

stupid fucking xp better than 98 my ass altho it looks better thats it :angry: :angry:

creamer
02-01-2004, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by peerzyboy@27 January 2004 - 19:24

it wont boot cause it says the same thing and i tried my LEGAL copy of XP HOME and that didnt work.

any ideas?

please offer any help. :helpsmile: :helpsmile:
have u got access to to another p.c that u can open up

creamer
02-01-2004, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@27 January 2004 - 23:15
i thought that shit was only with 98 downwards coz 2000 upwards doesent run off dos?

creamer
02-01-2004, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by accat13@28 January 2004 - 19:26
you could try going to your hardrive manufacturer&#39;s web site and download there utility to fdisc then do a clean install.I also really like the friends computer method it always seems to work well.. :D
amen

Smurfette
02-01-2004, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by peerzyboy+1 February 2004 - 19:37--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (peerzyboy &#064; 1 February 2004 - 19:37)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>wierdly enough im sure iv formatted the hard drive o at leave fucked it up so much as to all date has been currupted but when i turn on the PC for a few seconds i still see the gfx card settings and its mini BIOS and i still run the moniter thru the gf card surly that wod b installed on the hard drive i hav formatted/fucked about with :blink:[/b]WTF is that?
Can I have it again in English?

<!--QuoteBegin-peerzyboy@1 February 2004 - 19:37
im been given a £25 qoate as to how much it will cost to fix so if i cant do anything tonite im going to send it for repaire. :helpsmile:[/quote]Might I suggest you do that - £25 seems to be a small price to pay for sorting out the trouble you&#39;re having.
Make sure you get a printed report of the faults found and work done to remedy them; then let us know. :)

Peerzy
02-02-2004, 06:12 PM
took it to a shop and they sed £30 and be fixed by thursday i have used them b4 and they didnt mind me giving them a copy of WIN XP PRO so i&#39;ll get back to you with the results ;)

wierdly enough im sure iv formatted the hard drive o at leave fucked it up so much as to all date has been currupted but when i turn on the PC for a few seconds i still see the gfx card settings and its mini BIOS and i still run the moniter thru the gf card surly that wod b installed on the hard drive i hav formatted/fucked about with

WTF is that?
Can I have it again in English?

basicly im sure i formatted the hard drive but when i turn my pc on the gfx card still works and it still shows up. :blink: shouldnt the drives/software have been deleated when i formatted the hard drive :unsure:

o well not my problem now :P
:rolleyes:

Smurfette
02-03-2004, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by peerzyboy@2 February 2004 - 18:12
basicly im sure i formatted the hard drive but when i turn my pc on the gfx card still works and it still shows up. :blink: shouldnt the drives/software have been deleated when i formatted the hard drive
What you see it the video card&#39;s BIOS outputting to the screen. It&#39;s the same sort of thing as the mobo&#39;s BIOS that appears just afterwards.
They&#39;re not stored on the hard drive, they&#39;re on the chips themselves.

Monkster
02-03-2004, 01:54 AM
I also have a problem with XP. During installation everything goes well, until it boots up for the fist time. The computer can&#39;t get past the XP splash screen&#33; :angry:

shn
02-03-2004, 02:44 AM
Originally posted by Monkster@2 February 2004 - 19:54
I also have a problem with XP. During installation everything goes well, until it boots up for the fist time. The computer can&#39;t get past the XP splash screen&#33; :angry:
Check your hardware. If necessary remove some of it for installation and see if i works then.

balamm
02-03-2004, 06:20 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.whoi.edu/generalinfo/buttery/cookie.gif

:P

shn
02-03-2004, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by balamm@3 February 2004 - 00:20
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.whoi.edu/generalinfo/buttery/cookie.gif

:smilie4:

Peerzy
02-03-2004, 07:07 PM
okay can a mod please move this to cookieworld :blink:

and i rmoved everything i could possible revoe and it still didnt work well i dont have the pc anymore so what they hey :rolleyes:

getting it bk 2moro

balamm
02-03-2004, 09:56 PM
You didn&#39;t do everything possible. Killdisk is your friend.
That, and clearing CMOS.
Taking the batery out won&#39;t clear it.
You have to drain it as well. Either by waiting 2 days to 2 weeks before putting the battery back in, or by physically shorting it.

So what advice did you get here?

1&#58; check for a virus
2&#58; check for a virus
3&#58; get a better antivirus
4&#58; fuck around with fdisk
5&#58; update your antivirus
6&#58; download some more useless programs to fuck around with fdisk
7&#58; do a virus scan
8&#58; mess around with your hardware and risk more problems
9&#58; etc.........
10&#58; etc............
11&#58; etc...............

Which was why I offered a consolation cookie to this thread. :)

shn
02-03-2004, 10:16 PM
Hey, I thought that was my cookie. :o

balamm
02-03-2004, 10:21 PM
Here&#39;s a whole tray of cookies for you&#33;&#33; :D

Can you guess what kind of cookies they are?

http://s89291739.onlinehome.us/nuke/html/modules/Magnish/Gallery_folder/sillystuff/goatsecookies.jpg

goatsex cookies&#33;&#33;

:lol: :lol: :lol:

shn
02-03-2004, 10:39 PM
Yummy.........you never told me you could bake :P

They better not be store bought :angry: :D

Peerzy
02-04-2004, 05:49 PM
update:

just went to the fat man fixing my pc and he sed that i had done something to the RAM and when windows shuts down it saves crap onto the RAM but one stick got currupted so it didnt save stuff onto okay so thats why it started not booting up sometimes and basicly the RAM is messed but i got 2 X of 256 so i will just take the messed p one out till i get enought money for anuther stick.

fat man is testing the two sticks for me o get my pc back on thursday now <_<

;)

Smurfette
02-04-2004, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by peerzyboy@4 February 2004 - 17:49
update:

just went to the fat man fixing my pc and he sed that i had done something to the RAM and when windows shuts down it saves crap onto the RAM but one stick got currupted so it didnt save stuff onto okay so thats why it started not booting up sometimes and basicly the RAM is messed but i got 2 X of 256 so i will just take the messed p one out till i get enought money for anuther stick.

fat man is testing the two sticks for me o get my pc back on thursday now <_<

;)
You could&#39;ve saved your money and time if you&#39;d followed my suggestion to download and run Memtest86.

Never mind, I&#39;m used to being ignored... I have two teenage kids.

Livy
02-04-2004, 11:01 PM
sorry, but it just isnt physically possible to save stuff to ram at shutdown

Peerzy
02-05-2004, 06:41 PM
Update:

okay found out that fat man did a test on my ram and its fine. he formatted the hard drive properly and installed windows got it up and runningi gave him my motherboard drivers cd and OMG it crashed while loading the last drive.
Fat man thinks that something isnt working on the motherboard but will check and stuff.
So i was thinking, bust mother board, shitty cd rw i could get a new motherboard and b able to up my processor further&#33;&#33;&#33;
so does anyone know of a quite cheap motherboard (thats in UK pounds) that does gfx card up to 8X AGP up to a 3000+XP atlon takes um.... ram (dunno what type but pritty sure its DDR) and will fit into a &#39;microcase&#39; as fat man called it :rolleyes:

ObiWan
02-05-2004, 10:31 PM
where do you live?

you may want to check www.ebuyer.co.uk (http://www.ebuyer.co.uk)

PS there are good deals on cases just now on ebuyer

Smurfette
02-05-2004, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by Livy@4 February 2004 - 23:01
sorry, but it just isnt physically possible to save stuff to ram at shutdown
I think you need to try and interpret what this person says he has been told as if he&#39;s got the general idea but the details slightly wrong.
Does that sound right?
My reply was mindful that he isn&#39;t fully conversant with technicalities, and that he was probably told that Windows loads the registry into RAM and saves it to disk when it shuts down. If the RAM is faulty then what gets written back is corrupted.
Do you see? I&#39;m not sure how well I&#39;ve explained that.

Peerzy
02-06-2004, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by ObiWan@5 February 2004 - 22:31
where do you live?

you may want to check www.ebuyer.co.uk (http://www.ebuyer.co.uk)

PS there are good deals on cases just now on ebuyer
UK

I think you need to try and interpret what this person says he has been told as if he&#39;s got the general idea but the details slightly wrong.
Does that sound right?
My reply was mindful that he isn&#39;t fully conversant with technicalities, and that he was probably told that Windows loads the registry into RAM and saves it to disk when it shuts down. If the RAM is faulty then what gets written back is corrupted.
Do you see? I&#39;m not sure how well I&#39;ve explained that.
yeah i understand apparently there was a shit loada dust in the slots that was causing problems but now i need a new motherboard. fat man says he&#39;s got an A Open board, with 8XAGP, up to a AMD 3Ghz, 3PCI slots, onboard sound and video and 6 USB ports for:
£65

is that a gd deal ya think?

Peerzy
02-08-2004, 05:54 PM
well after thinking i decieded to get the new board, should be ready by tuesday, so fingers crossed everything else goes well.